Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyBaloney

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Katy, TX
hey all, Im trying to figure something out. I like having text previews appear in banner notifications but I think its stupid to display messages in the lock screen (whats the point of passcode then lol). Now I know how to turn off lock screen display but then there is no visual notification at all. Conversely, I can turn off text preview so it just says "[name] text message". But this also turns off text preview in banner notifications.

My question is: is there a way to keep previews in banner notifications while secure (no preview) notifications in the lock screen? thanks

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Settings > Notifications > Messages > turn off "View in Lock Screen"

That is not what the OP wanted. He said he wanted a notification on the home screen that did not contain the text.

Conversely, I can turn off text preview so it just says "[name] text message". But this also turns off text preview in banner notifications.

Here are your two choices.

1) Show Preview ON:
-Text content WILL appear on Lock Screen, Banner, and Notification Center

2) Show Preview OFF:
-Text content WILL NOT appear on Lock Screen and Banner
-Text content WILL appear on Notification Center

I understand that neither is exactly what you want, but choice 2 is not a terrible compromise I think. You'll lose having a text preview on the banner, but you will retain that preview in Notification Center. It's the closest you'll get to what you're looking for with the current settings choices. Hope this helps

TonyBaloney

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Katy, TX
That is not what the OP wanted. He said he wanted a notification on the home screen that did not contain the text.

Here are your two choices.

1) Show Preview ON:
-Text content WILL appear on Lock Screen, Banner, and Notification Center

2) Show Preview OFF:
-Text content WILL NOT appear on Lock Screen and Banner
-Text content WILL appear on Notification Center

I understand that neither is exactly what you want, but choice 2 is not a terrible compromise I think. You'll lose having a text preview on the banner, but you will retain that preview in Notification Center. It's the closest you'll get to what you're looking for with the current settings choices. Hope this helps

Right now I'm using option 2. You're right. It's not that big of a deal but it would be nice to have previews while you're in your phone instead of having to travel to the message app everytime yet keeping them hidden in the lock screen. Thanks though

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
Once you can jailbreak there's a great app called LockMessages it can also encrypt names on lock screen, banners etc. It always asks for passcode whenever trying to access messages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.