Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbb155

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
If I upgrade to a new mac, nad I use the file transfer utility to transfer all of my applications, etc, will lotus notes and ms office 2004 transfer, or will I need their disks to make them work? I have my computer through my corporation, and I don't feel like losing it to IT for 2-3 weeks while they transfer my applications, if I can do it on my own
SB

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, I really recommend reinstalling the applications. I'm pretty sure Office just flatly won't work if you drag the app icons across, there are bits of that suite all over the system. I'm not sure about Lotus though. It really shouldn't take IT all that long to reinstall the apps either.

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
Office (and everything else I have) transferred just fine using the Migration Assistant. Hooked up the FW, put the old machine in firewire target mode and checked all of the options in Migration Assistant. Hour or two later - all done. Didn't have to reinstall anything

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
khollister said:
Office (and everything else I have) transferred just fine using the Migration Assistant. Hooked up the FW, put the old machine in firewire target mode and checked all of the options in Migration Assistant. Hour or two later - all done. Didn't have to reinstall anything

the same for me......I was extremely impressed with how easy it was

in my case it was less than an hour

all of Office, PhotoShop, Illustrator, email files, etc., so far everything I've looked for transffered perfectly

B2O

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2005
sbb155 said:
If I upgrade to a new mac, nad I use the file transfer utility to transfer all of my applications, etc, will lotus notes and ms office 2004 transfer, or will I need their disks to make them work? I have my computer through my corporation, and I don't feel like losing it to IT for 2-3 weeks while they transfer my applications, if I can do it on my own
SB

I use both Lotus Notes and Office in a Wintel office and when upgrading to Tiger, simply copied the application folders across from a backup drive to the newly formatted drive without issue. Once the Powerbook was connected to the network, it sync'ed with the Notes server and continued as it did before.

Simple.

As always with a Mac, it just worked.

NevadaJack

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
I used Migration Assistant from my PB with Office 2004 for Mac and everything transferred fine. Entourage mail setting and all other apps worked fine. Quicken 2005 also transferred without having to load the program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.