Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yahoo has launched an iPad app they call a "living magazine". The app, called Livestand, is vaguely like Flipboard, but pulls content from Yahoo websites and more than 100 publications.
One of the stars of the show was Livestand from Yahoo!, a personalized living magazine designed first for iPad and available to download today, free from the App Store in the U.S. Livestand weaves together content from more than 100 publications, including, ABC News, Forbes, Yahoo! News, Yahoo! Sports, Yahoo! Finance and omg! - with more being added every week.

And the more you use Livestand, the more personalized it becomes. It's easily tailored to your own passions and interests, wrapping great content in a visually rich, stunning design that features videos, photos, and intuitive navigation. Livestand is also built on many of Yahoo!'s most important technical innovations. If you're a techie kind of person, head on over to our Yahoo! Developer Blog to hear about the newest of these technologies, Cocktails.
mzl.eoqdquax.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.cksfkkfg.480x480-75.jpg

Livestand for iPad is a free download from the App Store.

Article Link: Yahoo Introduces Livestand for iPad, a Flipboard-Like "Living Magazine"

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
This product was much-delayed and, well, it's Yahoo. I fully expect the focus to be on generating maximum internal clicks and ad revenue than on satisfied customers and usability. Yahoo designs by committee (with more committees stacked on top) and usually ends up with a lowest common denominator product that caters to advertisers.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Where are you seeing the ads in this app?

Or are you just making frivolous, erroneous comments without actually having used it?

That doesn't mean Yahoo! can't add advertising later, but I'm not seeing it now. Pretty clean, understated presentation of articles.

Last edited:

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
First magazines... and next I'll be able to use a live google earth to see myself from the sky!

roow110

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2011
Been using app for about an hour now.
I am unimpressed with the speed, the transitions are lacking, the UI obnoxious and the selection sparse. Overall a pretty mediocre app. Use Flipboard instead.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I might give it a try tonight. I do like Flipboard (even if these apps are just a fancy shell for stories posted on other sites).

stevenshizzle

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
Try Editions

I enjoy Editions app. It's very straightforward, has a classic feel to it, and bends to your will. There are some neat 3D advertisements (because what's a magazine without an advertisement) from BMW and AutoCAD that are pretty darn cool.

I liked Flipboard for a while, but I am anti-twitter, so I dumped it.

Last edited:

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Oh Yahoo!!! I look forward to reading all about what some pop star wore out to a dance club last night. Or precious footage of somebody hitting a baseball really far.

Yahoo used to be google. Then it turned into a dysfunctional clusterbang. Then its ragged carcass was picked apart by MS and a few other piranhas. What was left markets trash to 12 year old girls and bored housewives.

Sad.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Been using app for about an hour now.
I am unimpressed with the speed, the transitions are lacking, the UI obnoxious and the selection sparse. Overall a pretty mediocre app. Use Flipboard instead.

I agree 100%. The UI on that is horrible. Deleted it and went back to using flipboard and zite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.