Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
i believe it depends which browser you're using. For example in chrome, i get the watch. There was an article somewhere about websites setting it for certain browsers. I think safari has always had it, though?

Let's Sekuhara!

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
日本
Has something changed at MR? All of a sudden I'm getting a spinning blue pinwheel for "cursor: wait" when MR pages are loading in Safari. I've never seen it here before. It's either something's changed on the MR side, or it's Lion.

http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/playit.asp?filename=playcss_cursor&preval=wait

By "MR" I presume you are talking about the Japanese region-specific build of OS X 10.8 ..."Mountain Rion"

Right?
No?
Not so much?
...ok, fine. I will disappear back into teh shadowz of teh interwebz from whence I came. And take my cheesy jokes with me. :rolleyes:

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
By "MR" I presume you are talking about the Japanese region-specific build of OS X 10.8 ..."Mountain Rion"

Right?
No?
Not so much?
...ok, fine. I will disappear back into teh shadowz of teh interwebz from whence I came. And take my cheesy jokes with me. :rolleyes:

Terrible joke you mean. We all refer to MacRumors as MR. Because we're lazy like that.

I get the Blue pin wheel sometimes on lots of different websites. Nothing specific to Macrumors.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I just started today getting the blue pinwheel javascript ball on Macrumors. Happening an awful lot. Any ideas, people?

2012 iMac, 10.8.2, using Safari.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I just started today getting the blue pinwheel javascript ball on Macrumors. Happening an awful lot. Any ideas, people?

2012 iMac, 10.8.2, using Safari.

We made the site a little more Javascript intensive. But not massively so. We are lazy loading more items. So after the main page is displayed, Javascript loads additional items. The overall goal is to make the initial usable load faster, while later loading other items via Javascript.

I'm not sure why you'd be getting slow-downs more than others though, esp with modern hardware.

arn

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
We made the site a little more Javascript intensive. But not massively so. We are lazy loading more items. So after the main page is displayed, Javascript loads additional items. The overall goal is to make the initial usable load faster, while later loading other items via Javascript.

I'm not sure why you'd be getting slow-downs more than others though, esp with modern hardware.

arn

I'm not getting any "noticeable" slowdowns, that I can tell. I just really don't like seeing the pinwheel all the time. It's not actually affecting anything except drawing my attention to the cursor, because it looks like something bad is happening! Spinning wheels = bad!

And yes, I'm not thrilled to be using Macrumors right now, that's for sure. :(

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Odd you see it and I don't at all. 2012 13" MBA on 10.8.2 with Safari. :confused:

Yep not sure what the dealio is. I'm curious as to what changed on the site in the last 24-or-so hours. Hopefully arn can reply again and say if the changes happened then or if it's something else.

Interestingly, later today I haven't seen any blue pinwheels on Macrumors...

(now watch it happen about 5 minutes after I post this!)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

arn

I'm not getting any blue pinwheels and the site is working fine for me. However I did notice that the formatting of the site is wider now. I only noticed because I had to adjust the width of my browser because it was getting cut off, where it wasn't a day or two ago.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm not getting any blue pinwheels and the site is working fine for me. However I did notice that the formatting of the site is wider now. I only noticed because I had to adjust the width of my browser because it was getting cut off, where it wasn't a day or two ago.
Zero beachballs here, but I noticed the wider format as well. I'd prefer it narrower, but it's not a huge deal.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Zero beachballs here, but I noticed the wider format as well. I'd prefer it narrower, but it's not a huge deal.

We talking about the forums or the front page?

arn

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
We talking about the forums or the front page?

arn

nevermind, I fixed it.

arn

----------

Yep not sure what the dealio is. I'm curious as to what changed on the site in the last 24-or-so hours. Hopefully arn can reply again and say if the changes happened then or if it's something else.

Interestingly, later today I haven't seen any blue pinwheels on Macrumors...

(now watch it happen about 5 minutes after I post this!)

I already said: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16706054/

arn

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Yes, you already said. But I was curious as to the timing. Was it in the last 48 hours, or was it a week or two ago that you made the site more java-intensive? I'm just trying to narrow down exactly when you made those changes. :)

Yep, just on Monday.

arn

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
OK cheers for the update. I'll have to see how it goes. Didn't see any more pinwheels after I posted. Did you change anything since the change?!:D

Nope, haven't changed the JavaScript.

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.