Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:29 PM   #1
farmermac
macrumors 6502a

Any way for itunes match to replace ID3 tags?

Some of my MP3s have lots of missing album info, year, etc. I am signed up with itunes match but it doesnt seem to update the id3 tag of the songs. Any way to force it to redownload the whole track?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:39 PM   #2
mactmaster
macrumors 6502

This would be good if they offered it as an option but not force it. I also have a few files without info.
mactmaster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:18 PM   #3
kopiikat
macrumors newbie

This is the main reason why I was looking forward to iTunes Match, so I'm fairly disappointed. I have a ton of music from before tagging music became standard, and I was really looking forward to having it finally organized...
kopiikat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 09:51 PM   #4
ksujeff99
macrumors newbie

Me too. I have incomplete and incorrect ID3 tags I'd like to see fixed. Fingers crossed that there's a way.
ksujeff99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:18 PM   #5
paulbee
macrumors member

I'd love this, too. I'm positive iTunes has better metadata than I do in a lot of cases, and I'd happily throw out all my metadata, get Apple's, and then apply any tweaks after that.
paulbee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:43 AM   #6
danmcg
macrumors newbie

https://twitter.com/#!/tapbot_paul/s...69351643070464

This is a ruby script to do what is being asked. I can't quite get it to work though. I believe it is because I'm not using the default locations or library. I have 3 different libraries on my machine, but I'm not sure if that actually has any effect on it...

Any ideas?
danmcg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:58 PM   #7
maclook
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcg View Post
https://twitter.com/#!/tapbot_paul/s...69351643070464

This is a ruby script to do what is being asked. I can't quite get it to work though. I believe it is because I'm not using the default locations or library. I have 3 different libraries on my machine, but I'm not sure if that actually has any effect on it...

Any ideas?
How exactly do you execute this script?
maclook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:12 AM   #8
depaulsunny
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclook View Post
How exactly do you execute this script?

I posted a link earlier. scratch that it doesn't help..
depaulsunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:15 AM   #9
Mr. Zarniwoop
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcg View Post
This is a ruby script to do what is being asked.
Thank for you pointing me to this, it's fantastic. The author tweeted a faster new version that uses the metadata from all of the iTunes Stores (not just US) and the instructions are at the front of the script:

Quote:
#!/usr/bin/env ruby
# by @tapbot_paul
# Don't blame me if this nukes your metadata, formats your drive, kills your kids
# This script goes through any iCloud Matched songs in your iTunes library and tries to update the
# metadata from the iTunes Store
# Will run against selected tracks or if nothing selected entire library
# install the required gems with the following commands
# sudo gem install json
# sudo gem install rb-appscript
# then run the script with "ruby meta.rb"
I bolded the commands to type in Terminal. Do that, and then have iTunes closed and run the script. It updates the track name, album name, artist name, track number, number of tracks, genre name, disc number and disc count with the metadata from the matched song in the iTunes Music Store.
Mr. Zarniwoop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:51 AM   #10
tburk32
macrumors member

This script only works for a mac correct? I purchased the itunes match last to use with my ipad and I've been going through trying to get my files as accurate as possible before downloading them on my macbook air for accuracy. So basically my question is if I wait until I get my macbook air it'll be much easier and quicker than doing it manually? This is very encouraging to say the least.
tburk32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:51 AM   #11
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zarniwoop View Post
I bolded the commands to type in Terminal.
Do you by chance have Xcode installed?

Doing either of the bold sudo gem commands on my vanilla Lion install complains that it can't find header files, and googling that, it looks like one needs to install Xcode to get the headers.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 05:22 PM   #12
Ramasjang
macrumors member

Thanks
Ramasjang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:10 AM   #13
Ramasjang
macrumors member

Here is a link to download the script: https://gist.github.com/368476/a5277...6d5800ab5402d4

Place it in your user folder.
Ramasjang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:02 AM   #14
maclook
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramasjang View Post
Here is a link to download the script: https://gist.github.com/368476/a5277...6d5800ab5402d4

Place it in your user folder.
I'm still confused about how to get this script to work. Can you please outline exactly what needs to be done?

Also, does this do album art by chance? That's the least of my worries and the easiest to do myself but just wondering.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:45 AM   #15
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclook View Post
I'm still confused about how to get this script to work. Can you please outline exactly what needs to be done?
I can tell you how it I did, although there may be an easier way.

1. Download/install Xcode from the App Store. It's free, but it's big.
2. After it's installed, go back up to post #9, and click on the link that goes to the author's tweet. In the tweet, click on the link that goes to the script. At the top right of the script, click the "Direct Link" link. This should download the script in your Downloads folder.
3. Open the Terminal app on your Mac.
4. Type: cd Downloads
and press enter
5. Go back up to post #9 and type the commands in the quote that Mr. Zarniwoop bolded.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:04 AM   #16
maclook
macrumors 65816

Thanks, aristobrat. I've been wanting to try this out so I'm downloading Xcode now. Will report back on how it works out.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:06 AM   #17
gohwkis
macrumors newbie

Error Message When Running Ruby Script

Help - this is what I am getting

Reading 13429 tracks ***********************************************************************************************
Found 9541 matched tracks
Querying US store for 9541 tracks *******/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rb-appscript-0.6.1/lib/appscript.rb:542:in `_send_command': CommandError (Appscript::CommandError)
OSERROR: -1700
COMMAND: app("/Applications/iTunes.app").sources.ID(75).library_playlists.ID(60526).file_tracks.ID(62839).album.set(nil)
from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rb-appscript-0.6.1/lib/appscript.rb:642:in `method_missing'
from meta.rb:37:in `update_track'
from meta.rb:91
from meta.rb:89:in `each'
from meta.rb:89
from meta.rb:87:in `each'
from meta.rb:87
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/delegate.rb:137:in `each_slice'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/delegate.rb:137:in `each'
from meta.rb:83:in `each_slice'
from meta.rb:83
from meta.rb:80:in `each'
from meta.rb:80
gohwkis is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services