Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toastface5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Hi,

My 2007 iMac 24 inch keeps freezing all the time. Two nights ago, it had it's first kernel panic. I cannot get onto the computer without it freezing, so I couldn't get to system profiler to copy the specs, so I am using my macbook pro to write this. I copied the model's specs from the MacTracker app and pasted them in pastebin here: http://pastebin.com/RY0BsBcr .

Can anyone help me? Or do I need to get a new computer?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Can you start the iMac in Target Disk Mode and connect it via Firewire to your MacBook (if that MacBook has Firewire)?
If so, you could troubleshoot from there, maybe some permissions are corrupted or maybe the HDD is dying. Do you have backed up all important contents of the iMac?

toastface5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
The latest TM backup of the iMac was about 3-4 weeks ago, but that was due to Time Machine not letting me backup for some reason, so all my important data has been copied to the Ext. HDD manually. I assumed this was to do with the Ext. HDD having messed up in some way, but with the current situation, it may be something to do with the iMac after all, as the Ext. HDD is letting me read and write to it, just not via TM.

EDIT:
I have decided I am going to reinstall Snow Leopard tonight to see if that helps, and copy all my data over slowly (like music, photos etc). Also, I will probably put a second OS on there (Probably Windows XP, or Vista as I have used up my only windows 7 license on my MBPro), for my non-university windows use. I will report back if it is still slow.

Last edited:

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Hi,

My 2007 iMac 24 inch keeps freezing all the time. Two nights ago, it had it's first kernel panic. I cannot get onto the computer without it freezing, so I couldn't get to system profiler to copy the specs, so I am using my macbook pro to write this. I copied the model's specs from the MacTracker app and pasted them in pastebin here: http://pastebin.com/RY0BsBcr .

Can anyone help me? Or do I need to get a new computer?

A common cause of KP's is RAM related. This can be:

• Failed RAM (yes it can fail)
  • Incorrect RAM (did you update it recently?)
  • Unseated RAM, simply remove and reseat.

KP's can be tough to find because they can be caused by hardware or software. I'd recommend reading

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/kernelpanics.html

to learn how to troubleshoot them.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
If you're unable to complete the install because of the "freezing", you could be in for trouble. You'd have no working system, possibly.

Have you noticed any odd display issues other than the freezing? I say this because there were some iMacs from that era that have faulty graphics cards that would eventually do something like what you describe. Some make it a few years before the symptoms show up.

Does it run without problems a little longer if it has been off for a while? That would be a symptom.

I got one (that wouldn't run for more than a few minutes) working by installing smcfancontrol to increase the fan speed. I actually had to put the thing in front of an air conditioner for a while to get it to cool down so that I would have time to install it! With more fan speed (and a little more noise) it stopped crashing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.