Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
We currently have 4 iPhones. We all have same iTunes user name and password. We all have different iCloud user names and passwords.

It was suggested here that a separate iCloud user name and password to use with iCloud is best in a thread a while back.

So now each iPhone has an iTunes same user name for iTunes/app purchases
and each iPhone has their own iCloud user name for iCloud related stuff.

This is making it confusing. The iTunes user name which is a gmail email address has been used for app purchases. What I did was changed all the iPhones to one user name for iTunes and iCloud which is a new .me email address. Each iPhone now is specific and each iPhone doesn't have the same user name for app purchases, each has their own unique username/password.

What's the best way to go about iTunes/ iCloud with multiple devices? Each device has their own contacts that are synced/ backed up so I don't want to mess with contacts, bookmarks etc. I'm more concerned about iTunes/app purchases.

What's the best way to configure multiple iPhones?

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
What's the best way to go about iTunes/ iCloud with multiple devices?

What's the best way to configure multiple iPhones?

I followed everything you described, but don't understand exactly what you're asking. I have more than 4 idevices in my house. Some share the same iCloud account, some using different one. Like you, they all use one account for app purchase, and sync all music to one computer. But they are all backup to iCloud, not to computer.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I followed everything you described, but don't understand exactly what you're asking. I have more than 4 idevices in my house. Some share the same iCloud account, some using different one. Like you, they all use one account for app purchase, and sync all music to one computer. But they are all backup to iCloud, not to computer.

What we have currently is 4 devices with separate iTunes accounts and separate iCloud accounts.

In other words...

Device 1- has abc@gmail.com for iTunes and abc@me.com for iCloud

Device 2- def@gmail.com for iTunes and def@me.com for iCloud

Etc

As you can see each device has their own sepesrste iTunes and iCloud accounts with separate email username addresses. So when an app purchase is made for example it's made specifically for the device where as before it was made for all devices.

I'm looking for a more streamlined means so it's not confusing for the other devices in the household.

The reason each device has their own unique iCloud username @me.com address is because each device has their own unique contacts, bookmarks etc.

Prior to iCloud each device was syncing contacts via Exchange but wanted to fully integrate into Apple system.

I'm asking what's the best means to configure multiple devices with iTunes and iCloud so each device has their own unique apps/music, bookmarks etc? On our Mac I set up 4 accounts so if an iPhone wants to hook into iTunes they have to login into to their unique Mac account and then it will take them to their own iTunes interface.

Last edited:

ozshadow

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
Why did you want separate itunes store accounts?

We share 1 store account, and each has a separate Apple ID for the icloud, etc.

If you use the same store account, you can share purchases. You do not have to install them if you do not want to, but they are there if you do.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Why did you want separate itunes store accounts?

We share 1 store account, and each has a separate Apple ID for the icloud, etc.

If you use the same store account, you can share purchases. You do not have to install them if you do not want to, but they are there if you do.

Ok I understand I think. Can each device share a purchased app like Navigon if purchased under Apple Store ID that each device has?

What I did was purchase Navigon app for me specific Apple Store ID but want to share with another device. Is it too late because I purchased Navigon with a Store user email ID that other devices don't have?

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I think apple designed iOS 5 specifically to allow family sharing one iTunes account, and hence the purchases under it. Unfortunately, at this point apple does not allow merging of iTunes account. So once a purchase is made under one account, you can't go back and share it with another.

About your computer syncing, there are 2 ways to do this:
1) Everything in one iTunes library. Put all contents (movies, music, photos) in the library. Create different playlists and photo folders for everyone. Essentially every device will have its own sync. For backup, each device can either backup to the computer or its own iCloud account. The contacts and bookmarks will only be backup with iCloud; however only one of these can sync with the computer's contacts and bookmark.

2) Create different login account for each user on your Mac. This will allow you to sync bookmarks and contact with Mac. However, you need to duplicate all contents in each library. So there will be multiple ccopies of the same songs or photos on your computer.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I think apple designed iOS 5 specifically to allow family sharing one iTunes account, and hence the purchases under it. Unfortunately, at this point apple does not allow merging of iTunes account. So once a purchase is made under one account, you can't go back and share it with another.

About your computer syncing, there are 2 ways to do this:
1) Everything in one iTunes library. Put all contents (movies, music, photos) in the library. Create different playlists and photo folders for everyone. Essentially every device will have its own sync. For backup, each device can either backup to the computer or its own iCloud account. The contacts and bookmarks will only be backup with iCloud; however only one of these can sync with the computer's contacts and bookmark.

2) Create different login account for each user on your Mac. This will allow you to sync bookmarks and contact with Mac. However, you need to duplicate all contents in each library. So there will be multiple ccopies of the same songs or photos on your computer.

I'm think it would be easier to share one Apple ID for app purchases only and each device have their own iCloud ID for syncing contacts, bookmarks etc?

With not having to hook up to iTunes how does this come to play? On our Mac I set up 4 different accounts with each having their own unique ID. Each device has their own specific bookmarks on their device not present in their own Mac account on the Mac.

I'm a little confused sorry. The recent purchase of Navigon got me thinking that I would also want my wife to have it but since I ordered it on my specific ID she's not able to get it unless she purchases it.

I'm looking for a way for all iPhones to share apps etc purchases but each iPhone having their unique syncing of contacts, bookmarks, calendars, reminders which iCloud accomplishes.

If I set up each device with the same Store account but separate iCloud accounts for syncing contacts, bookmarks etc....

How will this affect our experience?

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
If you prefer to have 4 user accounts on your Mac, just know that you will have 4 iTunes libraries, and you will need to sign in to the same iTunes account fit all of them. But use different iCloud log in for each account on the Mac.

Each device will sync individually with the corresponding iTunes in each of the 4 user account on Mac.

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Your way overthinking this. It is very easy to have multiple idevices using the same itunes library (so you share apps, music, videos etc) but separate icloud accounts for syncing contacts, photos etc.

You don't need multiple logins, each device will have its own sync settings for when it connects to the library. I currently have 3 iphones, 1 ipad and 4 ipods all sharing the same library, but with each device having different things from the library on them. For music I just have different playlists for each device and only sync the relevant playlist to the relevant device (eg, MyIphoneMusic playlist only syncs to my iphone). Just select the sync settings in for each device as you connect it to itunes, this will then be set and won't be changed until you decide to make changes.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Your way overthinking this. It is very easy to have multiple idevices using the same itunes library (so you share apps, music, videos etc) but separate icloud accounts for syncing contacts, photos etc.

You don't need multiple logins, each device will have its own sync settings for when it connects to the library. I currently have 3 iphones, 1 ipad and 4 ipods all sharing the same library, but with each device having different things from the library on them. For music I just have different playlists for each device and only sync the relevant playlist to the relevant device (eg, MyIphoneMusic playlist only syncs to my iphone). Just select the sync settings in for each device as you connect it to itunes, this will then be set and won't be changed until you decide to make changes.

Are there tutorial's for doing this?

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
You don't need a tutorial, its easy.

Connect your first device up, set its sync settings for all your media in itunes, connect the next device, set it's settings up etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.