Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thriii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
Not sure which to get right now so what are the reasons to get 1 over the other?

I have a backpack with a spot for a laptop, but I'm not sure if thats enough to protect my macbook air so I'm thinking about a sleeve.. but then I worry about the macbook air when i take it out of the sleeve because of scratches and stuff like that.

The hard case I'm thinking about getting is the Incipio Feather:
3610-MAMB.jpg

does anyone have this case? how is it?

are there a such thing as a sleeve i can use while still keeping the hard case on?
(please dont say bookbook :eek:)

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
I prefer a naked laptop with a sleeve. Right now I've got a thing for Booq Vyper sleeves...

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2007
Call me paranoid but I am going for both! Really like the new air but I am still feeling like I need gloves to hold it with so I don;t scratch it. Just ordered the incipio feather and also have the slimline speck sleeve. Great combo me thinks!!!

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Can go either way....but sleeve with right material shouldn't scratch your MBA....ie, micro-fiber suede, neoprene, etc...

I always wonder, would the material on WOOL sleeves scratch the mba?

Love the look of the wool sleeves though.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
You do realize the laptop is already made out of metal that doesn't really scratch unless you drag your keys along it... go walk around a university campus and you'll see 90% of MBP/MBA have no covers and 1% of them have any meaningful amount of scratches

I have kept my MBP/MBA's in a similar backpack or bag compartment for years, no problems. Who wants to buy a thin laptop anyhow, just to bundle it up in something thicker

ArchiMark

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
You do realize the laptop is already made out of metal that doesn't really scratch unless you drag your keys along it... go walk around a university campus and you'll see 90% of MBP/MBA have no covers and 1% of them have any meaningful amount of scratches

I have kept my MBP/MBA's in a similar backpack or bag compartment for years, no problems. Who wants to buy a thin laptop anyhow, just to bundle it up in something thicker

To each his own, but I'd much prefer to have at least a minimal amount of protection (ie, neoprene sleeve, etc...) on such a valuable device, especially if I were to accidentally drop it...

Just my 2¢....YMMV.....

thriii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
Call me paranoid but I am going for both! Really like the new air but I am still feeling like I need gloves to hold it with so I don;t scratch it. Just ordered the incipio feather and also have the slimline speck sleeve. Great combo me thinks!!!

I thought about that but still not sure if thats the route I want to go in are you putting the macbook air inside the sleeve with the incipio feather still attached or do u plan on removing it before sliding it into the sleeve?

I think I'm just a bit paranoid at the moment.. if I didnt get a hard case, what would be a great sleeve to get? Looking for something minimal in detail.. black.. if possible no big logo that stands out

----------

To each his own, but I'd much prefer to have at least a minimal amount of protection (ie, neoprene sleeve, etc...) on such a valuable device, especially if I were to accidentally drop it...

Just my 2¢....YMMV.....

Dropping it is my biggest concern :eek:

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I always put a clear skin from bestskinsever.com on my Macs (currently on my MBA). Makes me less paranoid about scratches and gives it a nicer grip than the bare aluminum.

thriii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
I always put a clear skin from bestskinsever.com on my Macs (currently on my MBA). Makes me less paranoid about scratches and gives it a nicer grip than the bare aluminum.

thats a good idea! I was wondering if they had 1 for macbook airs.. so it seems it covers the whole thing.. does it also cover the screen?

Mayo7

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
If you're going to get a sleeve, I highly recommend the Sleevecase from Water Field. They are probably the highest quality and most protective sleeve out there with their 6mm neoprene padding(unless you go for a hard sleeve case, like the booq viper).

I handle my 13" Air somewhat rough (tossing it on the table, shoving it in my backpack full of stuff, tossing the backpack) when it's in the sleeve and it's been great so far.

thormarketing

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2009
I got the speck clear case (so you still get to enjoy looks) and their sleeve. The sleeve is a bit tight and hard to put on sometimes, but it fits.

I'd like to try the incipio as well. The speck clear case would benefit from being a bit lighter on the display assembly. I wonder if the feather is much lighter?

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
thats a good idea! I was wondering if they had 1 for macbook airs.. so it seems it covers the whole thing.. does it also cover the screen?

No, their skin does not cover the screen. It covers the outer lid, bottom, trackpad, palm rest areas, and a few of the thin edges. I actually like leaving the screen as-is since I don't ever touch it.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
I'm getting the incipio feather case and the switch easy thins. can never be too careful :D

PathVu

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2009
WaterField Smart Case

I use this sleeve....perfect

Attachments

• macbookair-smartcase-front-lg.jpg
    macbookair-smartcase-front-lg.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2,182

AIR-S

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
I have got a incipio feather case on my 11" air and I can't think of anything bad to say about it!

It doesn't make my air feel any bigger than it did before and provides plenty of protection! Plus it fits snug enough so that no dirt gets behind it!!

I also bought a incase sleeve from eBay and it still fits in it with the feather Case on!! Obviously it is a bit tighter than before but it does still fit!! I Use the sleeve mainly for when it's in my backpack!

I just like to know that it isn't going to get damaged easily I know they are pretty hard machines anyway but I'd rather be safe than sorry!! especially as its my pride and joy!!

Rich

thriii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
I use this sleeve....perfect

Both very nice sleeves! I have been looking for one that completely covers the laptop but these are pretty nice.. I like the booq viper so far and think I'm going to go with a sleeve instead of a hardcase after thinking about it and some of the replies here.
booq-viper-macbook-air-11-3_1.jpg

just wish it was a bit more simple.. not looking for much just a simple design that offers great protection all around. Is there anything that would protect my air as much or close to the booq viper that is minimal in design?

footprints07

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
Hi, got a question for people using the Booq viper 13" (I suppose all the viper series are hard case?) for the MBA, does the Air sit nicely inside the case or can you actually hear noise as you carry it around? I am asking because I think viper is for unibody so it fits a MBP which is thicker in height.
Thanks in advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.