Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
Hi guys,

Has anyone ever tested/used the Apple tv for NBA league pass broadband? I'm looking to get an apple tv for this purpose.

Hows the quality?

I don't subscribe to TV anymore, i stream everything from hulu/netflix now... but only miss the sports...so I wanna know how the quality is for this service on the Apple TV on an HD TV

blazerdude20

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2008
i haven't used it on the apple tv. but i've used it on my macbook. its good quality. assuming you have a good internet connection. the :apple:tv is streaming it the same way the macbook would so it should be similar.

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
yeah, I've ran it on my computer in previous years, but since I no longer have tv and just stream stuff, I wanted to know what kind of quality I would receive... HD? I would be wired from the router and I have good internet.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
It is available for free trial right now. Quality of video seems mediocre when viewed on my projector. I'm also have poor service making it hard to watch a game most nights.

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
The NBA app disappeared from my ATV2 about a week ago, anyone else have this happen?

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Nope. I used it yesterday, though I had a few buffering pauses and then just gave up.

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
Nope. I used it yesterday, though I had a few buffering pauses and then just gave up.

I was thinking of restoring my atv2, but from what I've read the app isn't very good. I think I'll just stick to watching on my laptop via nba.com or their ipad app, which is surprisingly very good.

MrJay23

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
If i get League Pass on my iPhone 4s, can i mirror Nba Gametime with an AppleTV?

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
If i get League Pass on my iPhone 4s, can i mirror Nba Gametime with an AppleTV?

I have no idea. The free preview is until the 8th, so there's no reason why you can't try it now before buying League Pass.

MrJay23

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I have no idea. The free preview is until the 8th, so there's no reason why you can't try it now before buying League Pass.

I don't have an AppleTV and this is one of the main reasons i would buy an AppleTV if it worked

R0b

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Can anyone help me understand why in Australia, the NBA app doesn't appear in Apple TV? i understand that the NBA are saying that there maybe blackout in some locations, but they allow us to watch the NBA League Pass and have the iPhone/iPad "NBA.TV". Every time i want to watch a game i airplay the game but i keep getting errors, such as when my iPad auto locks the stream closes. I was really hoping that Apple Australia would put it on this season after being introduced last season.

osohardy

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009

Nope NBA gametime blocks mirroring (ipad 2). you can only airplay sound. on the atv i tend to experience buffering during live games, seems better for archived but not always. Quality is decent overall (50" plasma). It adaptively streams, so the quality can go up or down, sometimes it takes a bit to lock in to the highest quality. Not HD broadcast quality but decent. I cut cable some time ago, despite the lower quality and buffering issues (and annoying as hell blackout rules--though my team is out of market) I can't justify re-enabling cable for it. I like the principal of a la carte buying and its decent enough.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Nope NBA gametime blocks mirroring (ipad 2). you can only airplay sound. on the atv i tend to experience buffering during live games, seems better for archived but not always. Quality is decent overall (50" plasma). It adaptively streams, so the quality can go up or down, sometimes it takes a bit to lock in to the highest quality. Not HD broadcast quality but decent. I cut cable some time ago, despite the lower quality and buffering issues (and annoying as hell blackout rules--though my team is out of market) I can't justify re-enabling cable for it. I like the principal of a la carte buying and its decent enough.

I'm on the same boat. Quality isn't bad, but not HD. I'm projecting it to about an 80" screen, it looks a little better on my small bedroom TV.
I also don't have cable, but I'm happy to buy a la carte. It is almost on principal and because I don't want to run cable wires through my house when I have fast n-level wifi. I also have fast broadband (20+ MBs) so streaming should be easy.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I got the broadband pass. The interesting thing is that the quality of the video is much better on my iMac than on my AppleTV connected to small hi-def TV. It must be that the AppleTV hockey puck just can't do something because obviously the internet connection is the same for my computer as my AppleTV. It looks very clear on my computer but most like standard definition on my TV. I haven't checked my projector yet since I resigned up (been watching football) but I would expect the hockey puck to be able to output all the well to a 100" screen. The projector is only 720P so it isn't true hi-def to begin with anyway.
Overall, I'm happy with the service. The blackout rules don't always seem to be consistent, but there are enough games on most nights that if I want to watch something during prime time I can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.