Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As predicted by Amazon following its release, Walter Isaacson's authorized biography of Steve Jobs has become the retailer's best-selling book of 2011. The milestone is a remarkable one given that the book did not debut until late October.

jobs_amazon_best_seller.png

Steve Jobs quickly rose to #13 on the list following its debut, which was moved up in the wake of Jobs' death in early October. By mid-November the title had risen to #2 on the list, setting the stage for its accession to the top spot.

Sony Pictures has acquired the movie rights to the authorized biography, and Aaron Sorkin is "strongly considering" taking on the task of writing the screenplay for the film. One report has indicated that George Clooney and Noah Wyle are in the running to portray Jobs.

Article Link: 'Steve Jobs' Becomes Amazon's Best-Selling Book of 2011

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
I found that Biography quite good. A quick read actually as the text is quite large.

However, a movie would be totally crappy.

Guaranteed.

Also, George Clooney has really gone down the crapper since Syriana :(

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Additional evidence that most of the world did not appreciate just how truly remarkable Steve Jobs was until his life neared its end. Now that he is gone, his biography allows us to finally appreciate the man and to learn from him what many did not appreciate about him in life.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Additional evidence that most of the world did not appreciate just how truly remarkable Steve Jobs was until his life neared its end. Now that he is gone, his biography allows us to finally appreciate the man and to learn from him what many did not appreciate about him in life.

I disagree. It has nothing to do with appreciation.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Could be interesting movie

I think a movie would be interesting...especially considering how Steve would bounce between charming and uber-critical. Although I think he probably micromanaged too much, his attention to detail and heavy involvement as a CEO is what helped to make Apple so successful. When you look at all the other products on the market (by other companies), most lack vision for usability and beautiful design. Although he may of had serious personality flaws he was still a visionary and I think a movie that shows both sides would be very interesting.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
MacBookPro13";13968661 said:
Bought it on my iPhone with iBooks, out of my respect and appreciation for all that Steve Job's has done for us.

Me too. It is a great book.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
I'm glad Steve's Bio finally beat out that ****** cash cow about that kid's phony religious experience. :rolleyes:

lol, I had the same thoughts. When I saw the news about it being 2nd, I went to look and saw what was first and was like what the $@#%@# is wrong with people?

sigma8

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
It's a shame Isaacson is being so richly rewarded for a book that is getting poor reviews as having not really shown us anything we didn't already know about Steve.

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
It's a shame Isaacson is being so richly rewarded for a book that is getting poor reviews as having not really shown us anything we didn't already know about Steve.
Yeah, I agree.

I walked away from the book underwhelmed, but couldn't really put my finger on why. John Siracusa did a heck of a job putting it into words. Anyone who thought it was lacking needs to listen to Siracusa's podcast "Hypercritical", episodes 42 and 43 (I think). He just utterly obliterates Isaacson (and rightfully so IMO).

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan

People are buying the book = money for the author.

Why is this a bad thing?

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
First biography I ever read. Won't be my last. He certainly was one of a kind. I really hope that the design aesthetic and philosophy of Technology/Liberal Arts continues well into the future. It's a real alternative, and deserves to go on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.