Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:09 PM   #1
SAdProZ
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, DC
"Here's To The Crazy Ones..." Steve Jobs Poster - Typefaces?

Does anybody recognize the typefaces used in this poster?
MacRumors Source

__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, iPhone 5, iPad 4, Apple TV...
Arthustler www.arthustler.com
SAdProZ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 06:06 PM   #2
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040
 
ezekielrage_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Helvetica Ultra Compressed (different weights)
Gotham

The rest look like HFJs offerings, though you can find similar on Font Squirrel.

Still a very nice typographic find.
__________________
"There is a world elsewhere" - Coriolanus
ezekielrage_99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 07:55 AM   #3
ILikeTurtles
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
I must say...that's very well done. Bravo to the person created it.
ILikeTurtles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 08:47 AM   #4
macfearless
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
while a part of me does like the look of this, i have to say that i am officially tired of this particular design trend and the typefaces. what were once "ooh" typefaces "let's use them sparingly" are now "hey, let's make something trendy and use blah condensed italic, blah slab, blah script, blah inline." it's not ugly, it's just overused and i think that in a creative field you'd wanna steer away from looking like everything else. seriously, spend 10 minutes looking around on dribbble and you'll see darn near every one of these fonts used in a similar matter. end rant.

also, ezekialrage is right, a handful of those are definitely HF&J offerings.
__________________
"If you give a man a jingle, he'll jingle for a day; but if you teach a man to jingle, he'll jingle all the way!"
macfearless is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:10 AM   #5
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040
 
ezekielrage_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfearless View Post
while a part of me does like the look of this, i have to say that i am officially tired of this particular design trend and the typefaces. what were once "ooh" typefaces "let's use them sparingly" are now "hey, let's make something trendy and use blah condensed italic, blah slab, blah script, blah inline." it's not ugly, it's just overused and i think that in a creative field you'd wanna steer away from looking like everything else. seriously, spend 10 minutes looking around on dribbble and you'll see darn near every one of these fonts used in a similar matter. end rant.

also, ezekialrage is right, a handful of those are definitely HF&J offerings.
Great point, actually although very cool it's kind of over done... So many of these styles of type treatment has surfaced over the last year or so, overdone or not it's still pretty cool.

Also to the OP I'd recommend I Love Typography it does have some rather nice tips for type, font suggestions and for producing similar.

For the OP, after showing it to a Typonazi friend the fonts are:
Helvetica Condensed Bold
Tungsten
Knockout
Forza
Archer (edited)
Topaz (edited)
Proteus
Vitesse
Buttermilk or Semilla
__________________
"There is a world elsewhere" - Coriolanus
ezekielrage_99 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:20 AM   #6
vitzr
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California
Nice concept. Poor execution, it's so busy that it looks both cluttered & conflicted. While I can understand it's appeal to those who are sentimental, the saying doesn't fit the man as he was over the last decade.

For those living in the past, I would imagine they'd like it.
vitzr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Mac~Head
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I was a little bored so I made up a quite similar Hi-Res copy of this poster,

you can download it for free

CrazyOnes.zip

Have a good day!
__________________
13" Aluminum MacBook, 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM OSX 10.7 16GB Unlocked iPhone 4, iOS 5
Mac~Head is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:28 PM   #8
KaplanMike
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I know at least ONE font

The words "Crazy Ones," "Status Quo" and "Who Do" are in Cyclone. Many thanks to those who correctly identified the font house H&FJ (Hoefler & Frere-Jones) as a likely source.

The one font I CAN'T figure out is the word "Forward." I'm pretty sure it's an older font that I used once back in the 1980s, but I just can't remember the name!
KaplanMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:21 PM   #9
Oktober
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Send a message via MSN to Oktober
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac~Head View Post
I was a little bored so I made up a quite similar Hi-Res copy of this poster,

you can download it for free

Attachment 315590

Have a good day!
Thank you. Might use works Xerox 6279 printer
__________________
24" white iMac, 2.33 GHz, 3GB RAM, 250 GB HD, Snow Leopard, 80GB silver iPod classic, black iPhone4
Oktober is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:53 PM   #10
jnl1211
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NWIndiana
Here's what I did:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	245375879667356813_tUZqkv0y_f.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	336227   Click image for larger version

Name:	245375879667354507_ee2s9yTo.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	336228  
__________________
KCCO
jnl1211 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:28 AM   #11
beowulf70
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaplanMike View Post
The words "Crazy Ones," "Status Quo" and "Who Do" are in Cyclone. Many thanks to those who correctly identified the font house H&FJ (Hoefler & Frere-Jones) as a likely source.

The one font I CAN'T figure out is the word "Forward." I'm pretty sure it's an older font that I used once back in the 1980s, but I just can't remember the name!
"Forward" looks like it's set in Knockout No. 26 by H&F-J (of course)
__________________
Mac user since 1988
beowulf70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:29 PM   #12
lucasberg
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sweden
Isn't "The crazy ones" a quote by Jack Kerouac, rather than Steve Jobs?
lucasberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Steve Jobs Bio released one month earlier in iBookstore than Amazon? iapplefanboy Community Discussion 2 Oct 6, 2011 07:31 PM
Who will release the iPhone 5: Steve Jobs or Tim Cook? pchipchip iPhone 65 Sep 25, 2011 05:17 PM
who said the apple thing? here is to the crazy ones. Harmush Community Discussion 6 May 15, 2009 01:55 AM
Here's to the Crazy Ones f1vespeed Community Discussion 3 Jun 8, 2008 09:16 AM
Here's to the crazy ones... G4scott Community 22 Oct 15, 2003 11:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC