Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
couldn't get mroogle to work for some reason, sorry. anyway, my iTunes won't find files on my network drive upon loading the app, but when i double click the song (any of them with an exclamation point next to them) it finds and begins playing them with no issue. this wouldn't be such a huge problem if i wasn't trying to use iTunes Match and want all unfound songs uploaded.

any suggestions? thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
couldn't get mroogle to work for some reason
MRoogle has been down for many months, but you can still search the forum with Google. Just add the following to your Google search terms:
site:forums.macrumors.com​
my iTunes won't find files on my network drive upon loading the app, but when i double click the song (any of them with an exclamation point next to them) it finds and begins playing them with no issue. this wouldn't be such a huge problem if i wasn't trying to use iTunes Match and want all unfound songs uploaded.
Make sure the drive is mounted before launching iTunes. If it's now connected, close iTunes and reopen. It should find the files.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Make sure the drive is mounted before launching iTunes. If it's now connected, close iTunes and reopen. It should find the files.

If the network location was set as the iTunes Media Folder this won't work. Unless things have changed recently in iTunes. As iTunes resets the media folder location to the default if the drive was not mounted before launching iTunes.

If it was set as the iTunes Media Folder. The Op just needs to go back to the iTunes preferences and change the media folder location back to the network directory. It will then rescan the library and and the exclamation marks will go away.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If the network location was set as the iTunes Media Folder this won't work. Unless things have changed recently in iTunes. As iTunes resets the media folder location to the default if the drive was not mounted before launching iTunes.
You're quite right. It's still the same. I forgot to mention that, since my library is split between internal and external, but internal is the default media folder location. Thanks for catching that!

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
What you could do is use a small apple script and have it run on login. I wrote one for our network mounts at work which basically pings a server address (you could use whatever address you want, but the one that hosts the network drive would be a good choice). It then mounts the drive if it gets a response from the ping.

The reason I chose to do it this way is that if working away from the office, the network drives are not available from boot up until I've connected to the VPN, so this way I don't get any errors from trying to mount unavailable drives. You could use something like:

Code:
try
	if (do shell script "ping -c1 <network address>") contains "1 packets received" then
		mount volume "smb://<network drive>"
	end if
end try

You'll need to swap <network address> and <network drive> for real addresses or hostnames on your network. I also use smb in this example, but you could use afp instead if your network drive supports it. I then save the script as an Applescript application and set it to run under login items under my account in the system preferences.

This way, your network drive should always be mounted when you login on the network which contains your iTunes media and it should prevent any exclamation marks in your media.

df22799

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2012
I think this thread is somewhat similar with my conundrum. Here`s my situation:
I have my library on an external network drive and my itunes match uploaded/ matched the library just fine.
Listening from other iOS devices or authorized computers also works.

But! If I`m not on my network (with the original itunes computer) I cannot play any file! It ask me if I want to locate it since it can`t find it.

So obviously it`s trying to acces the NAS (which is unavailable of course since I`m not at home) and doesn`t try to use the cloud library!

How do I handle this?

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Im wondering about this as well. I'm wanting to use iTunes match with a networked drive-can you do that? Heres what I'm trying to do:

I'm wanting to put my large (650 gigs) music library on a networked drive, and access it from various macs and iOS devices around the house. Will I be able to use iTunes Match with that, or does it have to be directly connected to an iMac running Lion?

Last edited:

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
Im wondering about this as well. I'm wanting to use iTunes match with a networked drive-can you do that? Heres what I'm trying to do:

I'm wanting to put my large (650 gigs) music library on a networked drive, and access it from various macs and iOS devices around the house. Will I be able to use iTunes Match with that, or does it have to be directly connected to an iMac running Lion?

It's definitely possible as it is what I'm doing. For the songs to be uploaded into iTunes Match, you'll want to create a library in iTunes of whatever 25k songs you want in iCloud. Then turn on iTunes Match and let it do its thing with your library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.