Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bellatfrz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Okay, so i just bought a macbook pro and i want to install adobe flash player. I already download adobe flash player and it's my finder folder. I still need to install it and when I tried to install it, it says I need my username and password. I reckon it meant my apple id, i typed my username and password, but it says it's INCORRECT when I know it's definitely correct.

I tried to go to the system preferences > users & groups > and tried to change my password. But when I typed my password it says IT'S INCORRECT! I've already changed my password twice in the apple id site, but it's still incorrect in my system preferences.

I asked my sister who has a macbook pro and she said she didn't need to use any password or username. What should I do? Now I can't watch any vids or anything that contains flash.. :(

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Okay, so i just bought a macbook pro and i want to install adobe flash player. I already download adobe flash player and it's my finder folder. I still need to install it and when I tried to install it, it says I need my username and password. I reckon it meant my apple id, i typed my username and password, but it says it's INCORRECT when I know it's definitely correct.
The user name it's asking for is not your Apple ID. It's your user name on your computer, which you can find by clicking the  on the left side of your menu bar at the top of your screen, then look at the bottom of the menu where it says "Log Out XXXX", where XXXX is your username. The password is your administrator password which you use to log into your computer or to make certain system modifications or install most apps.

bellatfrz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
The user name it's asking for is not your Apple ID. It's your user name on your computer, which you can find by clicking the  on the left side of your menu bar at the top of your screen, then look at the bottom of the menu where it says "Log Out XXXX", where XXXX is your username. The password is your administrator password which you use to log into your computer or to make certain system modifications.

And how should I know my password? Is it in the apple box/documents ?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
And how should I know my password? Is it in the apple box/documents ?
No, you would have chosen it when you initially turned on your Mac and set it up. It's not a password that Apple provides. It's one that you provide.

bellatfrz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
No, you would have chosen it when you initially turned on your Mac and set it up. It's not a password that Apple provides. It's one that you provide.

Are you sure? Because when I turned on my Mac the first time there isn't any password that I should write.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Are you sure? Because when I turned on my Mac the first time there isn't any password that I should write.
Yes, I'm sure. When you first turn on a new Mac it leads you through the welcome process and asks you to choose your user name and password.

Mac OS X: Changing or resetting an account password
See "Resetting the original administrator account password" in the link above.

Then just type your username in the box with no password if you didn't set one up.
You can't use your Mac if you don't have a user account set up.

PaulyD

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
UK
Sounds like the OP bought it 2nd hand and the seller didn't format the HDD or something.

GGJstudios is correct in all of this, it is something that would have been created when first setting up the machine and it is different from your Apple ID

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.