Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmusicman385

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
New York
Ok quick question. I noticed some movies on iTunes are available for HD download, and some do not have that option. I downloaded Sherlock Holmes and it did not say HD was available. When I played it on my TV via mirroring from my macbook pro and apple tv, it came out HD quality. If it doesnt offer the option for SD or HD, is it automatically HD?

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Ok quick question. I noticed some movies on iTunes are available for HD download, and some do not have that option. I downloaded Sherlock Holmes and it did not say HD was available. When I played it on my TV via mirroring from my macbook pro and apple tv, it came out HD quality. If it doesnt offer the option for SD or HD, is it automatically HD?

if it doesn't have the "HD" logo next to it in the store then it isn't HD, and it will be SD.

what makes you think that it is HD when you played it via mirroring? you are most likely just seeing some upscaling by the TV.

dmusicman385

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
New York
if it doesn't have the "HD" logo next to it in the store then it isn't HD, and it will be SD.

what makes you think that it is HD when you played it via mirroring? you are most likely just seeing some upscaling by the TV.

on my tv, its usually very easy to tell the difference. Maybe it does upscale I have no idea. Thanks for the input.

also, any idea why some movies are not offered HD (such as The Hangover 2)?

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
also, any idea why some movies are not offered HD (such as The Hangover 2)?

the rights owners decide what is made available.
only they will know why they come up with the crazy decisions on what is released - most likely though to maximize blu-ray sales.

dmusicman385

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
New York
the rights owners decide what is made available.
only they will know why they come up with the crazy decisions on what is released - most likely though to maximize blu-ray sales.

makes sense i guess financially, but now they get no sales from me as I do not buy physical media anymore for tv/movies/music.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
did you buy or rent?
you might find they are only available in HD if you rent on the appletv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.