Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
Is the keyboard backlight in the macbook air always on? The only time mine turns off is in direct sunlight, or if I literally shine a flashlight into the sensor. I find this annoying for average use in average household lighting. In fact, distracting and a probable drain on battery life.

Is there something wrong with this one, or is this just how they're set to operate?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
"We're sorry, that article can't be found."

I know how to adjust the intensity of the light, but I'm wondering why it's on effectively all the time unless I'm in super bright light.
The link is good.
ScreenCap 1.PNG ScreenCap 2.PNG
You can turn the backlight off with that setting if it's not going off by itself.

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
Even after messing with all settings the backlight is still on pretty much all the time unless I'm in very bright light. I'm just going to assume this is the way it is and adjust the brightness way down.

EDIT: The auto adjust is annoying with a capital A, the keys flicking brighter or dimmer every time I adjust by body position. I'm just setting it at a low level and keeping it there. Why they would put the sensor in the camera/screen and not somewhere on the surface where light is actually falling is beyond me.

Last edited:

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
Even after messing with all settings the backlight is still on pretty much all the time unless I'm in very bright light. I'm just going to assume this is the way it is and adjust the brightness way down.

EDIT: The auto adjust is annoying with a capital A, the keys flicking brighter or dimmer every time I adjust by body position. I'm just setting it at a low level and keeping it there. Why they would put the sensor in the camera/screen and not somewhere on the surface where light is actually falling is beyond me.

If you don't ilke it just turn the auto sensor off, then f5 yourself into darkness

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
Ouch. Not really all that nice. The OP asked a legitimate question.

To the OP: reduce the settings to the lowest or second lowest position on the respective keys and that should work - it does on mine.

what?

I gave him a legitimate answer. Turn off the auto setting and press f5 until the keyboard is dark. what are you on about? I am fascinated to find out what you found so offensive about my advice.

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
Haha... I think he interpreted the "f5 yourself" a bit graphically.

go and f5 yourself. that is pretty funny. why on earth would someone think that? I hardly have a posting history of telling people to **** off, yet alone telling them to do it five times! I shall look foreword to an apology from the truculent poster. ;-)

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I've been using computers since eh... DOS 3.3 and when I first got my Mac, I READ THE QUICK-GUIDE and found the F5-F6 right away.

Don't be afraid to read the manual, they are there for good reasons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.