Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjespo22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Staten Island NY
My girlfriends phone is backed up to her crappy HP netbook that we always have problems with. I made her an account on my MBP so I want to be able to plug her iphone into this computer and have all of her music, contacts etc.... I remember when I got my MBP I stole the Itunes file from my Ibook and got all of my music, backups etc... Can I do this? If so where do I find the file on her computer? I haven't used Windows in a long time. Thanks:apple:

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Going from windows itunes to Mac itunes casues some issues....trust me I tried.

I think the easiest thing in the world for you to do is to turn on her phone, back it up to icloud, actually start a backup by turning wifi on and going into icloud backup and click backup now...then when its done, I'd just plug the phone in the new computer sync it so it marries to the Mac itunes, then I'd open icloud and backup from the cloud so everything is there.

If anything, backup contacts and music separately, but icloud seems to be a good idea for you at the moment.

Just remember, backing up to icloud will not backup music...so you will have to backup the music another way....icloud backups are the settings/apps, etc on the phone, including contacts, calenders, and everything....which I find the most important....music I have backuped up on 3 different hard drives, so I will never lose it..

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
As fas as her Media, just use iTunes Home Sharing to transfer over that information from one machine to the another.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4620

For her Data (Contacts, Calendar, Bookmarks etc..), use iCloud to back-up that information, then on your machine just sign in (System Preferences> iCloud) and Merge the information together.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
OR the easiest way to deal with it is buy your GF a new computer. Then you won't have to deal with it and won't have to bother your friend every time your girlfriend needs to sync.

OR sync it with your computer so you don't bother your friend. But fins831 has a good idea too.

iipeeweex

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
newcastle upon tune
transfer back up

to transfer your back up all you need to do is locate you back up folder.

if going from windows to mac then im not sure where to find it on the PC side, maybe someone in the forum can help you with that... BUT for the mac

you want to locate the back up file to replace. its here

-finder
-home folder ~/
-library
-applications support
-folder in there called "mobile sync"
inside there is your back up folder
-all you have to do is switch the folder with you back up flder, click yes to replace and thats it

again, sorry im no good with windows

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.