Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Dec 19, 2011, 09:16 PM   #1
chadamorrill
macrumors 6502

Canon 500D (T1i) vs Canon 5D

Ok folks, I know this isn't really a fair comparison for multiple reasons, but I'm asking you to help me out. I've had my 500D for a couple of years now, and really like it. Honestly, I wanted a mid range body first, but my wife talked some sense (read: cents) into me and we ended up with it. Months later, I upgraded the kit lens to a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (non VR). About the same time I borrowed (and ended up keeping) a Canon 50mm f1.8. This lens is almost always better, but for the length on a 1.6x body. This has led me to really want a full-frame body.

I can find a used 5D for about $900. I would use the 50mm f1.8 exclusively, and would love the low-noise (most of my current shooting is of my 3.5 year old indoors) and weather sealing. I also have a 70-300 IS USM that I would use when/if the kids get into sports.

The other option would be to spring for a 35mm f1.4 L. I've heard this is a ridiculous lens, and that usually a better lens on a sub-par body is the way to go, but I just can't get over my lust for a full-frame body.

So the question, I suppose, isn't really fair. It should be Canon 500D w/35mm L vs Canon 5D w/50mm f1.8?

Thoughts?
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:21 PM   #2
pakyooh
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to pakyooh
I was on the same boat. T1i with 50mm f1.8 wasn't cutting it. I finally upgraded to 5dMrkII and a couple months later sold the 1.8 to get the 1.4.

It never ends. Now I'm saving up for the 50mm f1.2.

For me it was worth upgrading. I prefer natural light (strobes still scare me), so ISO and noise justified it. Oh and full frame, I really can't see myself going back.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:54 AM   #3
flosseR
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to flosseR
While I am a Nikon shooter, I used to shoot Canon for a while and I have to say...It's up to you.. Full frame is full frame no matter how you put it but the 35 1.4 is an incredible lens. Perfect world: get the 5d and the 35mm ...
However, I would join with above: Go with the 5D (if it has a low click count) and the 50mm 1.8
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:05 AM   #4
TheReef
macrumors 68000

Modern crop DSLRs have had significant sensor improvements in recent times, that put some of them ahead of the 5D - the 5D is getting old, but is still a capable performer.

The viewfinder on the 5D is stunning - large and bright, a pleasure to look through. This is my favourite thing about the 5D, and the greater field of view. The viewfinder reminds me of my Olympus OM-1.

One thing to keep in mind is the 5D is no speed daemon out on the field, but is still usable for the kids.

It seems like the 5D is a good choice for you - as you mention the 50mm's FOV will become more usable, and the full frame sensor will result in a more shallow depth of field. Coupled with f/1.8, this can make for some really compelling shots.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:42 AM   #5
duncanapple
macrumors 6502

I disagree with most of the above.

Get the 35 1.4L. The viewfinder is great on the 5D however the T1+35L will blow the doors off of the 5D+50 1.8. It wont even be close.

Besides, the glass will hold its value - camera bodies don't. Get the glass now and go full frame later when you can afford it and/or the prices of the 5DII come down (expect another drop in the next year or two when the III is rumored to come out).

I started with a rebel XS and added my 35L. I later swapped the XS for the 5DII and it was definitely the right order to do things. Plus, 35mm is still a good walking around focal length on the 5D/full frame down the line.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:51 AM   #6
robbieduncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanapple View Post
Besides, the glass will hold its value - camera bodies don't.
Absolutely. Great glass will always be great. You only have to look at the value of old glass that is incompatible with new cameras: it's still expensive. The top quality FD glass is still expensive. The 1960s Summicron I bought for my rangefinders was still about 500 despite being ancient.
robbieduncan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:57 PM   #7
NZed
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadamorrill View Post
Ok folks, I know this isn't really a fair comparison for multiple reasons, but I'm asking you to help me out. I've had my 500D for a couple of years now, and really like it. Honestly, I wanted a mid range body first, but my wife talked some sense (read: cents) into me and we ended up with it. Months later, I upgraded the kit lens to a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (non VR). About the same time I borrowed (and ended up keeping) a Canon 50mm f1.8. This lens is almost always better, but for the length on a 1.6x body. This has led me to really want a full-frame body.

I can find a used 5D for about $900. I would use the 50mm f1.8 exclusively, and would love the low-noise (most of my current shooting is of my 3.5 year old indoors) and weather sealing. I also have a 70-300 IS USM that I would use when/if the kids get into sports.

The other option would be to spring for a 35mm f1.4 L. I've heard this is a ridiculous lens, and that usually a better lens on a sub-par body is the way to go, but I just can't get over my lust for a full-frame body.

So the question, I suppose, isn't really fair. It should be Canon 500D w/35mm L vs Canon 5D w/50mm f1.8?

Thoughts?
By 5D you mean the 5Dc(original 5D mark 1). 900 is way overpriced. The going rate is 500 dollars.

If 5D mark 2, that is a really really good price since they go for 1200-1500.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:35 PM   #8
I AM THE MAN
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadamorrill View Post

Thoughts?

The 5D is definitely worth it. Once you go full frame you never go back. I went from a T3 to a 5D Mark 2 and I cannot see myself going back. I'd go for the 5D body right now and use the f/1.8 for now.
I AM THE MAN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:07 PM   #9
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

I'm an old film guy so I had to learn the horrors of "crop" cameras and cope with their unnatural view of the world. I have a Canon 1DIII, 5DII, and 5DIII along with dozen lenses. Full frame is the only natural way to go, the 5DIII is an extremely fine camera. After that it is your glass and your experience that count.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:43 PM   #10
OreoCookie
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3 View Post
I'm an old film guy so I had to learn the horrors of "crop" cameras and cope with their unnatural view of the world.
What do you mean with unnatural view of the world?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:49 AM   #11
robbieduncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
What do you mean with unnatural view of the world?
I can only imagine that he is referring to the slight "widening" experienced by using a 30-35mm lens on a 1.6 crop to get a "normal" view. Of course you could argue that 80mm on medium format is natural and full-frame 35mm is a small format just as easily.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Tags
canon, full-frame, l lenses