Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 5, 2012, 02:40 PM   #1
darbsrewop
macrumors member

Advice...iMac or Mac Mini?

I have an older core 2 duo white imac that is on its last leg and am thinking about getting a new iMac. I currently have a dell laptop for work and iPad 2. I like to keep business separate from personal, so my iMac and iPad are good means for that. My question is, should I get another iMac or should I get a mac mini? Or should I even get a macbook air? I have one 20 inch dell monitor that I extend out from the iMac or my work laptop. The only thing I use my iMac for is to hold my music, photos, and plug USB devices in. I do not need much computing power.

What would you do? Thanks in advance

Last edited by darbsrewop; Jan 5, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
darbsrewop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 02:44 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Only you can decide if you need portability, a built-in display or the various other features of your choices. It's easy to recommend one over the other, but you are the only one who knows what your specific needs are.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you follow this tip.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 02:47 PM   #3
darbsrewop
macrumors member

Thanks. I don't really need a portable option, as I have my iPad for that.
darbsrewop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 02:54 PM   #4
jwm2
macrumors regular

I was sorta faced with a similar decision last week. I ended up going with the iMac as it was on sale and imo a much better deal. Its got a quad core processor and better graphics. The display is amazing, plus it comes with the keyboard and mouse. Just 1 cord to plug in and you are done. If portability is the biggest issue then by all means go with the mini, but if bang for your buck is your concern the iMac is hard to beat.
jwm2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 03:15 PM   #5
Akack
macrumors 6502a

If you got the cash, iMac.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Only you can decide if you need portability, a built-in display or the various other features of your choices. It's easy to recommend one over the other, but you are the only one who knows what your specific needs are.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you follow this tip.
What do you mean if you need portability? They're both desktop machines?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 04:53 PM   #7
minifridge1138
macrumors 6502a

If the iPad takes care of your portability needs, then I wouldn't get the Air.

I love the resolution of the iMac screen, but hate the glare off of the glass. But that depends a lot on your environment.

For $1700 (starting price for 27" iMac), i'd expect a mouse and keyboard.

If you like the monitor of the iMac, then it's not a bad deal. Lots of monitors that size and resolution are $1,000 or more.

If you have a monitor that you like, and a mouse, and a keyboard, then I'd say get the Mac Mini. Use the $1,000 on other things.
minifridge1138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 03:32 PM   #8
srxtr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbsrewop View Post
The only thing I use my iMac for is to hold my music, photos, and plug USB devices in. I do not need much computing power.
I would suggest an iMac, because it's so much more awesome, but in your case I'd say just get a mac mini.

If you have the extra $$$ to waste though, get an iMac because it's pretty.
srxtr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 03:52 PM   #9
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020

Money says iMac - unless you hate the glossy screens and cannot redesign your house to minimise reflections.

I had an iMac, hated the reflection (along with the noise and dust under the glass) so it went back. Not regretted it to be honest. Typically an LCD screen will out live a computer, so I think buying them separately is an advantage.
Kebabselector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 04:22 PM   #10
heliocentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebabselector View Post
Money says iMac - unless you hate the glossy screens and cannot redesign your house to minimise reflections.

I had an iMac, hated the reflection (along with the noise and dust under the glass) so it went back. Not regretted it to be honest. Typically an LCD screen will out live a computer, so I think buying them separately is an advantage.
What noise?
heliocentric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 04:24 PM   #11
Dornblaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliocentric View Post
What noise?
Yeah, what noise? My iMac is incredibly quiet. FWIW - I love my iMac display, it is amazing.
Dornblaser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 04:34 PM   #12
jwm2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dornblaser View Post
Yeah, what noise? My iMac is incredibly quiet. FWIW - I love my iMac display, it is amazing.
Same here that was the single biggest factor in my going with an imac vs mac mini. When i looked at other monitors they paled in comparison. The resolution of the imac has actually reduced my headaches from eye strain. Its quite remarkable actually.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 04:25 PM   #13
skier777
macrumors 6502

The iMac is generally a really good deal since it comes with a screen, keyboard, mouse which the mini excludes. But if you already have a monitor, the mini could save a fair amount of money.
skier777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 01:34 PM   #14
Unkei
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbsrewop View Post
I have an older core 2 duo white imac that is on its last leg and am thinking about getting a new iMac. I currently have a dell laptop for work and iPad 2. I like to keep business separate from personal, so my iMac and iPad are good means for that. My question is, should I get another iMac or should I get a mac mini? Or should I even get a macbook air? I have one 20 inch dell monitor that I extend out from the iMac or my work laptop. The only thing I use my iMac for is to hold my music, photos, and plug USB devices in. I do not need much computing power.

What would you do? Thanks in advance
I had been a Windows PC guy for 30 years with the exception of every new iPad as it came out. I now have a 21.5 inch iMac and love it! Believe it or not, space really isn't an issue! Have a Rolltop Oak Desk and though it would fit there don't use it. I have a wooden mobile tray/table (think hospital table) and I placed the iMac on foot supported end (for weight safety) and made a small keyboard/trackpad holder in my shop. About 10 minutes work with BASIC TOOLS. Now they sit together on it like the commercial version that costs $30+ bucks. My cost, nothing....scrap wood/ 10 minutes/ and an idea!
Also spent $27 bucks on an infrared/transmitter set of headphones to keep my wife happy if I was watching YouTube or another video!
Unkei

Last edited by Unkei; May 2, 2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: left some info out!
Unkei is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 06:39 PM   #15
Oldmanmac
macrumors regular

P went through the same debate 2 months ago. Most everything has been said, but this, which was the deciding factor for me:

Longevity, or how far can it go? Seems the mini won't go past Lion. The 2009/10/11 iMacs can still go.

FWIW
Oldmanmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac