Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deanbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2003
I just finished watching a trailer with Quicktime 7, right clicked (two button mouse) to save as source, and I got a message that I need Quicktime 7 Pro to do this.
How f*&%$*g ridiculous! (I just updated to Tiger by the way.) :mad:

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Workaround time!

1. Get SiteSucker from this Linkety
2. View the Source of the webpage. Option+Command+U in Safari. Find the link to the movie around there. It is a URL that ends with .mov. Stick that into SiteSucker and presto! (read SiteSucker's very small documentation first, BTW)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
James Philp said:
They have to put something into pro to make it worth it!

Agreed. It's a bit of a lame attempt on Apple's behalf IMO. Either put the features in as standard or add some other cool stuff to Pro.

Even better, have Pro as the standard on OSX and make Windows users pay for it over their standard edition. :D

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
deanbo said:
I just finished watching a trailer with Quicktime 7, right clicked (two button mouse) to save as source, and I got a message that I need Quicktime 7 Pro to do this.
How f*&%$*g ridiculous! (I just updated to Tiger by the way.) :mad:
And never used Quicktime before apparently... it has been this way for as long as I can remember (at least since Quicktime 3).

The fact that this is just now dawning on you is amazing. :eek: The first time I ran across this was back in 1998. And it is the same situation for both Mac and Windows versions.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Xanderxxx said:
edit for continuity

I use my workaround (up above, and you can use SiteSucker for more than just that... one of the top 10 Mac apps IMHO) and ffmpegX.

Only problem is that ffmpegX isn't working in Tiger yet but a fix is in the works. SiteSucker works great at downloading a website, localizing the HTML, and letting me view it anytime, anywhere. Like in-class. :D :eek: :D

TheMac19

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
Pitt
Mechcozmo said:
Workaround time!

1. Get SiteSucker from this Linkety
2. View the Source of the webpage. Option+Command+U in Safari. Find the link to the movie around there. It is a URL that ends with .mov. Stick that into SiteSucker and presto!

hmm, why even bother with sitesucker? Just View the source of the webpage, when you find the .mov file, type it into the safari window, then if it loads and plays with the .mov in the safari bar, just open the Safari Download window (Window ->Downloads) and then drag the address (ending in .mov) onto that (the download window). it's a real easy to have safari download the movie without having to use a 3rd party app. And no shady serials required. heck, it's not even 'wrong' . . .

Or... a little time in automator might make this as easy as the right click again!

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
if you need to convert files, ffmpegX is such a brilliant program...and it's free!

But anyway, I think that Pro is a necessity for Mac users and an unnecessary thing for 'doze users.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
Btw guys, you have to pay for the pro version because there are royalties on some of the codec used in it, that is why...

Also, the pro version is very cheap for what it allow you to do (encode, convert, etc).

But, I agree, saving video should be allowed for any mac.

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
They should just increase the price of Tiger by $10 and provide all users with QTPro.
2,000,000 copies of Tiger * $10 = probably more total revenue for H.264 licensing than the separate $30 QTPro license currently provides.
I doubt that current Mac users would care much about about a $10 increase in the price of Tiger if QTPro was included. (I certainly would rather pay $140 instead of $160)

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
FistfulofAngst said:
(removed reference to piracy.)

this is not necessarily a recommendation for you to do the same...

congrats! you just broke the law to save 20 dollars!

:rolleyes:

and even for those of you who think that breaking the law any time you want is okay, and will soon flame me for even saying what I just did, this is so freaking pointless. you can do full screen for free, and you can d/l the movies for free... just spend the same amount of time finding serials, and try to find a *legal* way to do it...

or is that asking a wee bit too much?

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Gents,

Macrumors does not condone piracy in any form and will not allow discussion of it in the mode some of you have chosen.

My apologies to those of you who had posts deleted for saying the right thing in response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.