Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
i got my sister a wireless airport card for her G5 and i noticed that it stays on 1 bar. she said that the internet runs really slow sometimes and i'm guessing that's because of the weak signal. i brought my powerbook in her room and i have a full 5 bar signal, so i know its not the distance. did i do something wrong on the install?

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
the card is in her PowerMac G5 desktop and she seems to always have 1 bar...but when i go into her room with my powerbook, i have full 5 bars...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
As mentioned in the post above: does she have the external antenna connected to the back of her G5? It looks a bit like a "T" and is required for Airport reception of any real strength. it came with her G5.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
In other words, something must be plugged into the top jack in the image below.

expansionports06262003.gif

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I suppose it's possible that the body of the G5 is blocking the signal - any chance that the wireless router is blocked by the PowerMac? Does rotating the PM's body make a difference?

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Another possibility....

Open up the G5 and check that the card is seated correctly and the internal antenna wire is plugged into the Airport card.

aussie_geek

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
It can be lots of things - I recently relocated my Powerbook to a new desk, that is in a different position than where it was before. This cause the signal to drop from full to only 1-2 bars, and I keep having problems with disconnections to the internet. If I move a couple of meters back, to where the old desk use to be (a space now occupied with my bed), I get a full signal again.
My Windows laptop, sitting right next to the Powerbook, gets a very decent signal (not full, but at least 3/4).

These are the strange things about wireless networks. I would suggest moving the G5 around a little bit

Me? I'm going to buy a range extender for my router to ensure I get full signal everywhere in the house from now on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.