Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Call of Duty Elite launched last fall to coincide with the rollout of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, the fastest-selling entertainment product of all time. Elite is the online counterpart to MW3, offering stats tracking, in-game competitions, game strategies and more. The service had some rough moments at launch, but most parts of Elite are up and running now.

Chacko Sonny, head of Beachhead Studio -- the Activision Blizzard division in charge of Elite -- explained that the app includes four main components, mirroring most of the major features from the Elite website:
- Career Summary: A "back of the baseball card" assessment of the players stats, and a way to look up other players cards and statistics

- Recent Matches: "Fantasy football analysis" of recent games played

- Challenges: Track challenges in-game (achievements for performing certain tasks or leveling up a gun) and allows players to find the quickest ways to level up and have that information by their side while playing.

- Custom Classes: Perhaps the most useful feature, gives the player the ability to make any changes to custom classes and push those changes to the game. Sonny noted this was the most common way that beta testers used the app.
Sonny told MacRumors that with Elite available on three very different platforms -- console, the web, and now the iPhone -- the difference in form factor between the interfaces was important: "it's smaller from an interface standpoint. We didn't want to shoehorn the website or console experience onto a smartphone." Beachhead's designers made sure the Elite app felt native to the iPhone.

Further, Sonny emphasized that the Elite iPhone app is a 1.0 release and that the service will progress both on the console, the web, and the mobile apps.
We view this as the foundation. We want to hear from the community: how do they use this? What parts do they like? What parts aren't as useful? We want to drive additional development going forward from people who play the game every single day. That's going to help us deliver a better set of iterated features going forward, and for the forthcoming tablet version as well.
The app will be free, and will be available to all Call of Duty Elite users -- there is a premium Elite membership available that includes free downloadable content and some other goodies, but that doesn't affect the mobile app -- though there is no sign-up from the app itself. Users must enroll via the website or the Elite app on either the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 first. The Call of Duty Elite app only works when connected to the Internet via 3G or Wi-Fi.

Call of Duty Elite for iPhone launches tomorrow, Tuesday the 10th, on the App Store. An iPad version is promised "shortly thereafter".

Update: Call of Duty ELITE [App Store] is now available.

Article Link: Call of Duty Elite iPhone App Arrives Tomorrow [Now Available]

Fainer

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Awesome! I am an Elite member with the premium membership. I have been looking forward to this since I heard about it! Looking forward to being able to change classes at work and such and they be ready when I get home!!

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Haven't played call of duty in years but I remember loving it on the 360. I don't need a PS3 or 360 to use this on my iPhone, right? Might as well give it a try tomorrow

jj48

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
UK
Haven't played call of duty in years but I remember loving it on the 360. I don't need a PS3 or 360 to use this on my iPhone, right? Might as well give it a try tomorrow

Unless I'm missing the point completely, it is useless to you unless you play MW3 already on a console (the above suggests that you don't). And as others have alluded to I think you need an extra membership as well.

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
Unless I'm missing the point completely, it is useless to you unless you play MW3 already on a console (the above suggests that you don't). And as others have alluded to I think you need an extra membership as well.
You do need to have the game on a console, but you don't need an extra paid membership. The Elite Premium is only for DLC and a few other minor perks.

One does have to sign up at elite.callofduty.com, but that's free.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

You do need to have the game on a console, but you don't need an extra paid membership. The Elite Premium is only for DLC and a few other minor perks.

One does have to sign up at elite.callofduty.com, but that's free.

Oh. I assumed you don't since the article says you can sign up on the website.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Hopefully this app won't suck as bad as the website does. My guess is that it probably will. It probably won't be useable until version 2.0. That said, I'm curious to try it out :D

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
What I really, really, really want to see is Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 hitting the Mac App Store.

Come on Aspyr / Activision / Infinity Ward.
Make my mother******* day.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
finally, the app was suppose to be out over 2 months ago. The app only for people that play call of duty modern warfare 3 on xbox or PS3. it allows you to see your stats along with friends. It also allow you to change your class loadout right from the iphone/ipad.

b0r3dguy

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Ontario, CA
Next question is...when will EA finally release Battlelog for iPhone?

Many, many BF3 players are awaiting that release...

James114

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
Can anyone please let me know on the Elite app, what the green up arrow or the red down arrow with a number next to it, next to your kills and deaths in "recent matches" indictes?
I men i know red is bad and green is good, but it doesnt seem to coincide ll the time with whether i go poitive or negative in a match, So what exacty is it showing me and what is that number???

enero@serpico50

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2005
Can anyone please let me know on the Elite app, what the green up arrow or the red down arrow with a number next to it, next to your kills and deaths in "recent matches" indictes?
I men i know red is bad and green is good, but it doesnt seem to coincide ll the time with whether i go poitive or negative in a match, So what exacty is it showing me and what is that number???

Thats your K/D ratio. green meaning up from the last game and red is down from the last game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.