Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:29 PM   #1
lwood1
macrumors regular

What desk chair did Steve use?

Anyone know what desk chair Steve used? Also curious as to what you guys would recommend.

Ciao
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:31 PM   #2
thekev
macrumors 603

I have an older Steelcase Leap. It's one of the most comfortable ones I've found. Whatever you get, make sure it has adjustable armrests if you have to sit a lot. It can take a lot of strain off your elbows and shoulders if they're setup up correctly.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:40 PM   #3
acidfast7
Banned

I use the Eames EA 219. Anyone who suggests anything without aluminum armrests should be shot in the head.

Especially that Aeron and related plastic crap with no class.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	65
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	320510  
acidfast7 is offline   -16 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:27 PM   #4
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
I use the Eames EA 219. Anyone who suggests anything without aluminum armrests should be shot in the head.

I guess it works for you, but that looks like the most uncomfortable thing ever.

EDIT: Curious...why are aluminum armrests so important?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:33 PM   #5
acidfast7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
I guess it works for you, but that looks like the most uncomfortable thing ever.

1. Eames designed all of their chairs for max comfort. The most comfortable thing I have ever sat in my whole life, by far, was made out of molded plywood (Eames LCW.)

2. Plastic gets really crappy and sloppy over time and looks like ish. The metal leaves a nice cool impression on year arms when it's felt. In the mornings, it's cold, which is really nice. And, it only takes two seconds to wipe and look totally fresh. Plastic is just a horrible material. Nice supple leather is where it's at.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2378273832_73a8c6711a_o.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	320518  
acidfast7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:48 AM   #6
acidfast7
Banned

sorry man

this forum has no taste

you may want to try somewhere else

acidfast7 is offline   -13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:06 AM   #7
BreakGuy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
They remind me of the toilet seat in the middle of a winter night; extremely cold to touch at first, but once you're on for a few seconds it warms up nicely.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Bonch
Banned

Bonch is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:52 PM   #9
TurboMoses
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonch View Post
I think the winner is clear.
TurboMoses is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:01 PM   #10
puma1552
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Sorry, but my $40 IKEA junk chair with plastic armrests does the job just fine and looks just fine. Who knew MR would have chair snobs who sit around and criticize other people because they didn't waste a bunch of money on an overpriced, "name brand" chair.

Quote:

2. Plastic gets really crappy and sloppy over time and looks like ish.
Maybe for people who are oily slobs who never shower with caustic skin.

I've used chairs with plastic arms on them for years and none of them have ever looked like crap, even after years of use.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:09 PM   #11
JoeG4
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
I love the idea of a classy looking chair. Because of that, I really dig how nice and simple the eames chairs look (but they're so expensive!)
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:21 PM   #12
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Sorry, but my $40 IKEA junk chair with plastic armrests does the job just fine and looks just fine. Who knew MR would have chair snobs who sit around and criticize other people because they didn't waste a bunch of money on an overpriced, "name brand" chair.

Maybe for people who are oily slobs who never shower with caustic skin.

I've used chairs with plastic arms on them for years and none of them have ever looked like crap, even after years of use.
I never cared about plastic vs aluminum or whatever, but some things are quite useful. There are a number of lesser known brands that aren't as expensive. What matters if you have to sit for a number of hours in a week is having something that allows for a good sitting position. You don't want a chair that pushes your shoulders up or leaves hard plastic underneath your elbows. Most of the really cheap ones aren't recommended for if you work at your desk full time. I'm not a snob about it. Switching killed some annoying shoulder soreness. The old one had fixed armrests that were too high.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:31 PM   #13
puma1552
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
I never cared about plastic vs aluminum or whatever, but some things are quite useful. There are a number of lesser known brands that aren't as expensive. What matters if you have to sit for a number of hours in a week is having something that allows for a good sitting position. You don't want a chair that pushes your shoulders up or leaves hard plastic underneath your elbows. Most of the really cheap ones aren't recommended for if you work at your desk full time. I'm not a snob about it. Switching killed some annoying shoulder soreness. The old one had fixed armrests that were too high.
I can agree with that, but I think everyone can find something pretty comfortable for far less than the thousands some of these "designer" chairs go for. Personally I find spending $1000+ on something that says Herman Miller is a colossal waste of money, as I can't see a $50 chair being so agonizing that a $1000 chair is literally 20 times the value in terms of comfort. Likewise, I think spending $2000 on a Kirby vacuum is also a waste of money when you could buy a $100 vacuum and use it every day, and just get new carpet somewhere along the line and get the benefit of an update. To each their own. But to say that anyone with a plastic arm chair should be shot in the head is asinine. My cheap leather chair is awesome and looks good, and chairs just as good as the next chair and it only cost me about an hours' worth of time if I were an hourly worker.

When I hear people complain about how wretched sub-$1000 chairs are (which seems to come up monthly or bi-monthly here), I can't help but think, how would those people have ever survived in generations past?

Then again I'm also 130 lbs, so I don't have to worry about crushing cheap chairs under my body weight.
puma1552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:41 AM   #14
acidfast7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Sure, you can waste your life an a 40 USD chair, if you wish, but I'm in a position to not have to do that. I guess that I can't expect a peasant to understand wht the Eames actually accomplished. But, for future reference, you should actually understand why they did what they did and what was accomplished before being so dismissive.

One last thing, who benefits from you buying your craptastic 40USD IKEA? No one, in fact. When I spend 2000€ on an Eames Executive Chair from Vitra, new designers are supported by the a percentage of the profit, which will result in the next generation of furniture design.
acidfast7 is offline   -17 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:00 AM   #15
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Sure, you can waste your life an a 40 USD chair, if you wish, but I'm in a position to not have to do that. I guess that I can't expect a peasant to understand wht the Eames actually accomplished. But, for future reference, you should actually understand why they did what they did and what was accomplished before being so dismissive.

One last thing, who benefits from you buying your craptastic 40USD IKEA? No one, in fact. When I spend 2000 on an Eames Executive Chair from Vitra, new designers are supported by the a percentage of the profit, which will result in the next generation of furniture design.
Peasant and dismissive, in the same paragraph. Nice juxtaposition there.

If his $40 chair is not deleterious to him in any way, whey should he spring for a more expensive one?

It's not unlike a Timex and a Rolex. They both work well.
iJohnHenry is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:03 AM   #16
Alaerian

Quote:

One last thing, who benefits from you buying your craptastic 40USD IKEA? No one, in fact. When I spend 2000€ on an Eames Executive Chair from Vitra, new designers are supported by the a percentage of the profit, which will result in the next generation of furniture design.
Peasant? Excuse me?

Look here, kid. I'm sorry that I don't feel the need to brag about how much money I'm throwing away on a frakin' chair. I'm also sorry that I didn't come here specifically to make myself feel better by bashing other people.

Last edited by maflynn; Jan 24, 2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: removed insult
Alaerian is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:21 AM   #17
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood1 View Post
Anyone know what desk chair Steve used? Also curious as to what you guys would recommend.

Ciao
I'm wondering why you care what chair Jobs used. Does his using a particular chair make it better? Is your tush exactly the same as his? Does knowing Jobs used a particular chair mean it must be comfortable for you?

And how about his brand of toilet paper. Better because he used it?

Is the idea that if you used stuff Jobs used, it will make you just like him?

Just curious...
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:29 AM   #18
Rampant.A.I.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I'm wondering why you care what chair Jobs used. Does his using a particular chair make it better? Is your tush exactly the same as his? Does knowing Jobs used a particular chair mean it must be comfortable for you?

Just curious...
Maybe he's building a Steve Jobs suit, and wants to sit in the chair in front of a Mac for the full Jobs experience.
Rampant.A.I. is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:54 AM   #19
soco
macrumors 68030

Maybe he's just curious and you kids can relax and let the guy wonder.
soco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 07:35 PM   #20
lwood1
macrumors regular

Quote:

Just curious...
Oh I was just interested in what he chose. I think he's got good taste. Yeah I would say my butt is similar to his so yeah it would be comfortable. If you know what brand TP he uses that would be helpful too.

No it won't make me like him, just curious to what he likes.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaerian View Post
What does that have to do with anything? I hadn't posted in this thread until just now. I'm well-aware of who you quoted. Whether you're insulting me or anyone else doesn't matter - you're still being condescending and obnoxious.

Back on topic after an addition to my mental ignore list:
I'm curious to know what he used also. I don't have any intention of "OMG I NEED STEVE'S CHAIR," but it is intriguing. You figure that there were many an hour spent in that chair, so it had to have been something comfortable. With his taste and weight on design, I'd also imagine there would be some amount of "style" to it as well.

I'd love to look for a new desk chair for myself. I've got my eye on one from Office Depot that's similar to an Aeron, but much less expensive.
Thank you.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:16 AM   #21
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood1 View Post
Oh I was just interested in what he chose. I think he's got good taste. Yeah I would say my butt is similar to his so yeah it would be comfortable. If you know what brand TP he uses that would be helpful too.

No it won't make me like him, just curious to what he likes.

----------

Thank you.
That's an odd thing to notice.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:29 PM   #22
lwood1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all View Post
That's an odd thing to notice.
He brought it up...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
Let me guess... you are Ashton Kutcher? And you are just doing your "character research" before the movie debuts.
Caught me!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:15 AM   #23
lwood1
macrumors regular

Quote:

Just curious...
No, not at all just curious as to what he chose. He seems to have good taste.

And no using stuff he used won't make me like him. Just curious, not stupid.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:23 PM   #24
GanChan
macrumors 6502

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kirk-chair.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	322125  
GanChan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:37 PM   #25
Hawkeye16
macrumors regular

Apple snobbs being snobs about something else? Can't say I really find that surprising.

(btw, I drive a BMW, booyah)

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion