Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ten One Design, makers of the Pogo Stylus, have released a magnetic stand for the iPad 2 that is nearly invisible when in use, by repurposing the magnets designed for use with Apple's Smart Cover.

pd_magnus_cafe_back.jpg

Magnus is first machine-crafted from pure aluminum and then hand-finished using the latest manufacturing techniques. After that, customized magnets are installed into the base, and rubberized feet are fitted to the bottom surface.

Our designers targeted a reduced silhouette. Viewed from the side, you see only the iPad's tilt, and a flat plate on the desk. From there, the engineering took over.

Magnus may look like it's defying gravity, but it feels like a permanent attachment. You may need two hands to separate Magnus from your iPad.
The Magnus stand is $49.95, available from Ten One's website. It begins shipping later this month.

Article Link: Ten One Design Releases Magnus Magnetic Stand for iPad 2

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Come on Ten One you know you're not going to get $50 from a Dock that has no charging capabilities or audio line out.

$40 maybe but it just doesn't seem to have that much more value than Apple's own $30 dock save for the landscape.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Nope

$29.99 TOPS. Couldn't see if it does portrait too, but if it's just landscape, then $0.00. My smart cover has me covered. Come on designers, it's just not that hard to listen to what people want and then make it happen.

Management

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yawn!!!

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
I like it, but as others said it is overpriced.

The stand btw will only do landscape since it utilizes the magnets in the iPad 2 that are used for the SmartCover. Furthermore, that also means it will only work with the home button being on the right, since only one side has the magnets.

Essentially this is a much more stable implementation of the SmartCover "stand" and that is definitely a cool thing for stand lovers.

Bring it down to below $30 (which is at least $10 less than the SmartCover) and they would sell a lot more of these. I might still buy one because I haven't been much of a fan of the all the other stands on the market and only care about landscape orientation.

Another "gotcha" against this product is that it might not work with the iPad 3.

BTGeekboy

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
The price is a little high for what it is, but aluminium isn't cheap, either.

For Ten One's sake, though, I sure hope the next iPad has the smart cover (and related magnets) as well, or this product's going to be very short lived.

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Love TenOne's products in general (used a BookArc when I had a MacBook), but I agree it's a bit too pricy, and the lack of a way to use it in portrait is disappointing.

I'm torn- I kind of hope one of the changes in the next-generation iPads is that they work out a way to use the Smart Cover to hold the device in portrait as well as landscape...

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Its a nice looking dock. Very sleek. But it needs to be a multi-tasker and be able to charge the ipad too.

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
Visually, I think it looks awesome. The portrait/landscape question is a very good one though, I'm not sure where the iPad's magnets are installed.

I hope they answer the questions (and possibly drop it down to $29 or $39) because I think this would look great on my desk, but I'd still hesitate to pick one up until some questions are resolved.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Yep....

I was going to say the same. I had a TenOne BookArc too, but the $49 price tag on it was honestly out-of-line, especially when later on, I found a FAR more functional dock from HengeDocks for only about $10 more. (The Henge dock included extension cables for 3 USB ports, firewire and more ... not just a simple piece of metal or plastic to sit the computer in/on. With it, you really could just drop your computer in it and have everything connected up instantly to all the relevant ports.)

It looks like they've continued on with the same theme ... making elegant gadgets out of aluminum, but overcharging for them.

Love TenOne's products in general (used a BookArc when I had a MacBook), but I agree it's a bit too pricy, and the lack of a way to use it in portrait is disappointing.

I'm torn- I kind of hope one of the changes in the next-generation iPads is that they work out a way to use the Smart Cover to hold the device in portrait as well as landscape...

isoMorpheus

Jul 29, 2007

BookArc is not made by Ten One, what are you talking about?

----------

I was going to say the same. I had a TenOne BookArc too, but the $49 price tag on it was honestly out-of-line, especially when later on, I found a FAR more functional dock from HengeDocks for only about $10 more. (The Henge dock included extension cables for 3 USB ports, firewire and more ... not just a simple piece of metal or plastic to sit the computer in/on. With it, you really could just drop your computer in it and have everything connected up instantly to all the relevant ports.)

It looks like they've continued on with the same theme ... making elegant gadgets out of aluminum, but overcharging for them.

Again, which BookArc are you talking about, Ten One never made a book-arc.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple implements something like this in a future iPad with induction charging. No port—just a dock or small cord that latches using magnets and charges using induction. Syncing is wireless now. If they included Bluetooth headphones that weren't crap and had great battery life using BT 4.0, along with the integrated sim card, you could essentially have an iPhone/iPad that is a beautiful slab with no holes, aside from the speaker. Maybe they could somehow turn the glass surface into a speaker surface…I don't know. I'm not a sound engineer. But imagine the beauty of the simplified iPhone. Aluminum and glass perfection.

Fazzy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
check the tracking device
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wonder how many more companies are going to charge sky high prices for their accessories JUST because it's brushed aluminium?

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
That will be cool if you could mount that stand in the car on the back of the front seats for kids or on up front console by sliding the stand into CD slot, without damage of course :eek:

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
$29.99 TOPS. Couldn't see if it does portrait too, but if it's just landscape, then $0.00. My smart cover has me covered. Come on designers, it's just not that hard to listen to what people want and then make it happen.

Your smart cover lets you prop it up in portrait?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple implements something like this in a future iPad with induction charging. No port—just a dock or small cord that latches using magnets and charges using induction. Syncing is wireless now. If they included Bluetooth headphones that weren't crap and had great battery life using BT 4.0, along with the integrated sim card, you could essentially have an iPhone/iPad that is a beautiful slab with no holes, aside from the speaker. Maybe they could somehow turn the glass surface into a speaker surface…I don't know. I'm not a sound engineer. But imagine the beauty of the simplified iPhone. Aluminum and glass perfection.

BT 4.0's low energy mode won't work for headphones. Too much latency.

guitarslayer

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'll pass on the $50 magnet...

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
No, I think he's saying that unless this stand *can*, it doesn't net him anything he doesn't already have with his smart cover.

Yes, but I don't think this product is targeted at SmartCover owners. Instead it's focused on people who liked the concept of a magnetic stand, but didn't like the build and/or stability of the SmartCover.

This stand is well hidden when in use, and it looks like the iPad won't fall over very easily. Neither of those two things are true about the SmartCover.

TenOne is only charging $10 more than Apple does for their cheapest SmartCover (and $20 less than the leather one). Granted, it probably costs TenOne less money to make the Magnus than Apple's SmartCover, but this is a discussion about consumer value, not about who is making a bigger profit.

Anyway, I have put my pre-order in for the Magnus. I never liked the SmartCover, and have always found other stands on the market too flimsy or too ugly. If it means I pay a premium to get a stand that is neither of those things, so be it (also I only care about landscape).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.