Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:43 AM   #1
oluffen
macrumors newbie

What do you miss in the new macs?

Does anyone remember Command Full Stop and the time when you got everything you needed with your mac? Not like these days when one must buy a keyboard, mouse and even an seperate charger for the iPod.

What do you miss from the good old days? Please share what and why!
oluffen is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:46 AM   #2
maflynn

iMacs come with keyboard and mice, laptops come with everything you need to use the laptop and even MacPros come with keyboards and mice (AFAIK - I haven't purchased a Mac Pro in years).

so do I miss the time when apple packages all components needed to use a computer, no, because they still do, with the exception of the mini
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:51 AM   #3
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Contrary to what maflynn is saying, I miss the free whatever->DVI adapter included with the laptops.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:52 AM   #4
malman89
macrumors 68000

I have my Late 2006 MacBook and then use a more modern iMac at work (and have used others laptops occasionally).

I really prefer the old keyboard layout. I like brightness being f1/2, volume f3-5 and so on. I also prefer having an Enter key to the right of the space bar and Command button and before the arrow keys. Now it's a second Option (Alt) key.

I also miss there being a cheaper MacBook option that was as good/better, but cheaper, than the 13" MBP.
malman89 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:38 AM   #5
G4er?
macrumors 6502a

How about cases that you didn't need auto body shop tools like putty knives and suction cups to open.
G4er? is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Stella
macrumors 603

Express card slot in MB Pros.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:36 PM   #7
steve2112
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
Express card slot in MB Pros.
THIS. And the gray system CD/DVDs. I hate recovery partitions.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:19 AM   #8
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
re: Mac cases

Honestly, I've ALWAYS thought Apple tended to view their products as "non user serviceable". As a rule of thumb, their attitude is, "If we want you to mess with it yourself, we leave some kind of access door or slot available for that specific item." Otherwise, anything goes with how easy or tough it might be to open up.

The original Macintosh was a pain to open up. Didn't need a putty knife, but you DID need a special, hard-to-obtain, super-long hex tool to reach the deeply recessed bolts holding it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4er? View Post
How about cases that you didn't need auto body shop tools like putty knives and suction cups to open.

----------

No, just ..... well, NO!

The iMac G3 did help save Apple from completely dying, but that design didn't age any better than Swatch watches. As other people said, it looks cheap and toy-like by today's expectations for a computer. Besides, I *never* liked that "flower power" design a bit. It looks like someone attacked the case with spray paint or tried to cover it in wallpaper or something. At least with the solid / translucent colored iMacs, they gave people the option to color co-ordinate one with a particular room. (Interestingly, that turned out to be a big reason for the popularity of the snow white iMacs they made just before the transition to aluminum. I knew a number of dental offices and hair salons that selected them ONLY because they gave off the clean, sterile look they were going for in the rest of their facility. Dell and HP, by contrast, only offered gray or black tower cases.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun173 View Post
I do. I believe the iMac G3 helped to save apple. I think they are great looking computers and I would take that design ANY DAY over anything in their current line up. If they could offer that case with specs of todays machines (even if it had a CRT) I would gladly take it over any other machine. Same with a Clamshell iBook.
kingtj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:52 PM   #9
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oluffen View Post
Does anyone remember Command Full Stop and the time when you got everything you needed with your mac? Not like these days when one must buy a keyboard, mouse and even an seperate charger for the iPod.

What do you miss from the good old days? Please share what and why!

As a matter of fact, Apple didn't include keyboards with Macs back in the day. Including keyboards started with the iMac, IIRC.
rdowns is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:51 PM   #10
talmy
macrumors 68040

1. Sleep light on iMacs
2. IR Remote control
3. More bundled software. Our first Macs had Appleworks. Why don't the new ones have iWork?
4. Thorough printed documentation (OK, it never had that, at least not in the past decade)
5. A floppy disk drive.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:40 PM   #11
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
I do NOT like how the new macs got rid of the rainbow-color logo. And, they are making them all whitish, and I guess it looks professional but it doesn't look as good. The new laptops and stuff are increasing in price and it doesn't support Classic Environment anymore. I hate how Apple's coming out with all the tablets which don't have a CLI and it's not that new. Oh, a lot of the schools (At least where I live) are buying all these new laptops and even iPads. They don't need all the things that it has, and it's school! The old ones have almost everything that people would need for school, which is pretty much narrowed down to a text editor, a web browser, and the presentation software. And the tablets only let you get stuff from the App store, so what you can get is limited.

Oh, and can somebody answer my old thread? Thanks!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...4#post14225564
Ariii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 01:07 PM   #12
bastifantasti
macrumors newbie

I miss...

I miss having a PowerPC based computer. The reason I used to use macs was solely this purpose. Then when Steve Jobs came back, not only did we have the PowerPC processor but we got incredibly sexy computer designs which were superior to everything else. Then as time went on, the looks got slicker/more boring - today mac products look nice...but I don't have the same excitement.

The biggest upset for me is the fact my mac is now essentially a PC - knowing that I have an intel chip inside my mac just greatly displeases me...

I know the reason for moving to Intel was valid...but comonnnnnn the heart of the mac is gone, and steve jobs is gone. Weep.
bastifantasti is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion