Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, we reported on new photos of an iPod nano casing that appears to support a rear-facing camera. With similar photos having shown up in the past, it was unclear whether Apple was still pursuing the design for a future iPod nano.

ipod_nano_camera_2.jpeg

M.I.C gadget now weighs in with claims that the pictured device is in fact a two-month old prototype but that Apple has been having difficulties with the 1.3-megapixel camera taking overexposed photos.
It's real, and it's a two-month-old prototype that has big problems. It comes with an auto iris lens that can be affected by diffraction and blurring when the iris opening becomes too small in bright conditions. Ok, I gotta say it simply, it takes overexposed photos.

According to our factory sources, Apple have problems with the lens aperture for the next-gen iPod nano, the iris is not functioning correctly to allow the advantages of the low aperture to be utilized.
Interestingly, the report claims that the user interface for the camera features is finished and that Apple is looking to launch the device late this quarter or early next quarter once it finishes working out the camera issues.

The release would be a significant deviation from Apple's usual iPod refresh timeline, which has typically seen updates come in the September-October timeframe. But with Apple shaking up its schedules in 2011 by pushing the iPhone back from its usual June release to take the iPod's place with an October debut, it is possible that other changes to the usual timeline are in store.

The iPods saw only very minor changes last October, with the iPod touch essentially gaining only a white option and a price drop while the iPod nano saw a price drop and a software update that was also compatible with the previous year's model. The iPod shuffle and iPod classic received no updates at all, making Apple's 2011 iPod updates by far the most modest in the company's history. Consequently, Apple could be looking to make more substantial changes to its iPod line, such as the release of a camera-equipped iPod nano, well ahead of the fall 2012 timeframe.

Update: Refuting M.I.C gadget's claim that the iPod nano shown in the photos is a two-month old prototype, Apple.pro's Anthony Tsai posts this screenshot showing that the photos were in fact originally posted to the Internet in August 2011:

ipod_nano_camera_aug11.jpg

Article Link: Apple's 1.3 MP Camera-Equipped iPod Nano Due for Launch in March/April? [Updated]

r2fa3l

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is in one word : Irrelevant.
There's absolutely no need for a 1.3MP camera on an iPod Nano these days.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
So let me get this straight....even the lowly ipod nano is gonna have a better camera than the ipod touch now? Boo! Lol.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I don't think the addition would be a bad thing, although I agree that it wouldn't be very exciting or useful. I could actually see them deviating from their normal iPod refresh timing, since it would seem as though the iPhone has taken over the September event (if last year is any indication of events moving forward).

SamFisher

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2010
United Kingdom
iPod nano totally does not need a camera, it just adds more stuff to potentially go wrong.

Everyone who needs a camera already has either a dedicated camera, an iPhone/camera phone, or an iPod touch.

What next. a point and snap shuffle :)

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Only question...why? Is this really expected to sell more Nanos? I think not.

Ditch the silly camera idea, and instead build in Bluetooth 4, make it connect to the iPhone in your pocket, and have it show notifications and talk to Siri.

THAT would make for a better Nano watch. Not a 1.3 mp bozo.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
This smells really fishy about this source. Why the focus on photos? It's a 1.3 MP camera. The only thing anyone will be doing is taking videos with it, if that.

Could be legit, but the emphasis on overexposed photos rubs me the wrong way.

goaliefight

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Unnecessary

Bring back the click wheel! Also, if you want to really pimp out the Nano add XM to it.

PS> Number of pics/videos I have taken on my 2.5 year old fifth-generation iPod nano: 0

mrjamieb

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012
Some people are bloody miserable lol

It might be irrelevant if you have no imagination. People will find uses for it, use your heads.

I, for example, could use it as a way of capturing snapshots when out on work and am unable to get out my iPhone due to legalities concerning using your phone whilst driving, & when I don't wanna look like a weirdo taking photos of places for record on my phone - I've get funny looks when I do this.

Or you're at the gym, your phone is in your locker, you're listening to your tunes whilst working out & you need to take a snapshot of the hot ass that just appeared on the treadmill in front of you - discreetly! Who's gonna know you're taking photos when you're flicking the screen of your music player?! I don't use the gym but this particular scenario is transferrable.

Also, when your girlfriend or mistress is laying naked on the bed & you have you iPod to hand, who isn't gonna sneak a cheeky snap?! Just one of the many reasons to buy a 7th Gen. Nano cam!

It's just a folly & people will enjoy it by whatever means they're able to & therefor will buy it. I'd sell my 6th Gen. nano & have one of these just for the fun of it.

Last edited:

meli

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
I think they need to significantly drop the price of iPod nanos. The larger capacity models should be priced at or under $100, with the smaller capacity model coming in around $80.

iAshley

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My thoughts exactly

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
Maybe a new iPod touch as well?

I always thought it was a bit strange that the iPod touch didn't get upgraded last cycle. The iPod touch is not as important as the iPhone, but it addresses a different market (one that Apple seems to "own" right now as Android competitors have not done well).

I'm now thinking that because the iPhone was released around the same time, Apple wanted to keep using the "older" technology to not compete with the iPhone 4s for production capacity.

Maybe they'll finally upgrade the iPod touch as well?

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
No, no, no

I want a *front facing* camera on the nano .. to use it as a FaceTime watch.. even if it could only be tethered to an iPhone or iPod Touch for that to work.. (BlueTooth? WiFI?) Passing Siri/notification data to/from an iPhone in your pocket would be a great addition as well.. sigh. Rear facing camera on a nano is full of fail..

Doesn't Apple have a patent showing a screen being used as a camera? That would be ideal..

grumble

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.