Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I've heard that Microsoft Office on the mac is basically sloppily coded and awkward. I'm guessing that there are probably better alternatives out there, maybe third party? What should I be looking at/what would you recommend to me as a student? I've been warned against Office a couple times so hence the reason why I ask.

It's important for me to be able to use the files as well on a PC, because my college has a lot of them (printing purposes mainly).

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I have no problems with the new office. In school I wouldn't advise using anything besides Office, just because that is what the universities use and it would be a pain to try and use something different

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like office but if you don't want it, then take a look at open source - LibreOffice

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've heard that Microsoft Office on the mac is basically sloppily coded and awkward.
I use MS Office for Mac daily and can tell you it runs perfectly fine. I routinely share files with Windows users and have no problems at all. If you don't want MS Office for some reason, there are many alternatives, such as iWork, NeoOffice, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, etc. Searching the forum will reveal dozens of threads discussing these various alternatives and the pros and cons.

Last edited:

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Thanks everyone. I'll stick with office then, if it works well for everyone here it will probably work well for me.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Microsoft made some significant improvements to speed and compatibility with the Windows version of office when it released Office for Mac 2011. I suspect at lot of the 'slow' comments relate mainly to its predecessor Office for Mac 2008.

iWork, Apple's suite is a little more nimble in use, but it does not have the depth in features that Office has, with the exception of the Presentation package, Keynote. Keynote runs rings round Powerpoint IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.