Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

murph1134

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
So as my library expands, I've decided to get an external HD for storage of all my iTunes files (music, TV shows, movies, etc.)

I picked up a 2 TB Seagate external HD. Just plugged it in and went to format it. I have no problems formatting the disk as MS-DOS (FAT) but for some reason when I try to format it as Mac OS Extended it brings up an error message saying "The underlying task reported failure on exit" and the disk won't mount.

Anyone else run into this problem before? Also - are there any limitations to the FAT format other than limit of 4 GB on file size that I should be aware of, since it's looking like I might have to go with that format?

murph1134

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
Ended up returning it and buying a Western Digital. Seems like there are a lot of people who have problems with the new Seagate drives on a Mac.

I've always had luck with Seagate in the past but FYI - the new ones don't work very well with Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.