Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Would this not be the coolest thing? Just connect via bluetooth and play games like GTA3 the way they were meant to be. As it is, I can't stand most console ports on the ipad due to touch controls. If I could use a controller to play them properly, I would be spending significantly more money in the App Store!!

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Would this not a the coolest thing? Just connect via bluetooth and play games like GTA3 the way they were meant to be. As it is, I can't stand most console ports on the ipad due to touch controls. If I could use a controller to play them properly, I would be spending significantly more money in the App Store!!

Problem some Apple api restrictions preventing it, but yep would be cool.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Apple could make their own controller, I would buy it! Anything to make those games playable. :( But I guess it would be against their no-more-buttons philosophy...

Stelph

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
It's possible with a jailbroken iPad and a Wii classic controller.

AFAIK only for apps that support it like the N64, SNES emulators. There are some interesting developments like the 60beat controller that connects via the headphone socket

http://www.60beat.com/category_s/73.htm

However this only works with apps that have included the api coding from 60beats, so the app support is quite limited at the moment, especially for the price

I would really love to see a solution like the one that has popped up on the Android side of things, where controller apps can now "emulate" touches to the screen

http://www.nothingbuttablets.com/8345

What this means is that even for games that dont have support for controllers "built in" you can still use a controller as you just set up emulated touchpoints that are controlled by the controller (e.g. PS3 controller) and it works just like you were prodding the screen. Very clever and I would love to see it on the iPad, even if it were for jailbroken iPads only

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.