Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
According to Steam (haven't rebooted into OSX yet so I can't verify) the GTA3 games are now Steamplay compatible. So if you own the PC version you now have the OSX version, and vice versa. I'm interested to see if they've added anything, like full/native controller support.

They're currently 25% off too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/12100/

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Yup. Be interesting to see how well they run. I'm hoping that Steam will start requiring Lion to take advantage of the expanded OpenGL support. Maybe we'll finally get some good performance in OS X :rolleyes:

dantethescrub

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2006
and how do they run?

If you've played them, please report back on performance.

The versions sold in the Mac App Store have a litany of complaints about constant lagging and stuttering that affect gameplay.

I'm curious if Steam's are the same buggy ones.

Thanks.

MurderousMoppet

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
Best mac gaming news i have heard in many, many months! Time to log back into steam for the first time in 3 moths so i can buy them!

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I bought the pack of these about 2 years ago for $5, so thats just become worth it.

I would be shocked if it had controller support though, I worked on San Andreas which is the newest of that bundle and it was done Pre-Xbox360 so that pad has always had problems with this game and previous, the best I got using windows was using a PS2 pad (how the game was originally tested) or hobbling together my own control scheme using xpadder, but then the triggers dont work properly.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I bought the pack of these about 2 years ago for $5, so thats just become worth it.

I would be shocked if it had controller support though, I worked on San Andreas which is the newest of that bundle and it was done Pre-Xbox360 so that pad has always had problems with this game and previous, the best I got using windows was using a PS2 pad (how the game was originally tested) or hobbling together my own control scheme using xpadder, but then the triggers dont work properly.

It's possible, I built my own system to get an Xbox controller working but I can't release it since it modifies the exe downloaded from Steam. Others have fixed it by downgrading to an earlier version and using SAAC (which doesn't normally work with the Steam version).
But these won't work on OSX.

There have been rumblings about a "HD" update for consoles, maybe that will see its way to PC/Mac users, because they would support modern controllers.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I can't access the games in Mac OSX. It just says the game isn't available on OSX.
Apparently users that already have those games can't access them.
I can't buy it either, says I already own the game..

And yes, forum is full of people with the same issue, so hopefully they'll fix it very soon

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
The versions sold in the Mac App Store have a litany of complaints about constant lagging and stuttering that affect gameplay.

I'm curious if Steam's are the same buggy ones.

Only SA has reports of stuttering, III and VC both have 4.5 star reviews.

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Didn't want to buy MAS version, so good news for me.

I keep indie games - MAS, retail games - Steam.

More games should be SteamPlay enabled... only money is a factor that stops Aspyr and Feral to publish via Steam.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
According to Steam (haven't rebooted into OSX yet so I can't verify) the GTA3 games are now Steamplay compatible. So if you own the PC version you now have the OSX version, and vice versa. I'm interested to see if they've added anything, like full/native controller support.

They're currently 25% off too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/12100/

The GTA series is only available for Windows on Steam...irrelevant news, then.

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
The GTA series is only available for Windows on Steam...irrelevant news, then.

You mean GTA complete pack or GTA classics pack? That's only because it contains games that are only windows compatible (GTA IV, DLC, Classic GTA I/II) as well as games that are windows and mac compatible (GTA III, VC, SA)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
No, GTA3's games are now on Steam on Mac.

Has anyone tried them yet? Do they support Steam Cloud saves?

Even tho they say steam play I cannot install them, when I press install I get an error that it's not supported on my platform.

People on the steam forums have same issues.

OS-SEX

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2012
I purchased Vice City on Steam last night. Works great, i'm pleased to finally be playing this on my Mac. I will pick up GTA III as well but I'm not going to buy San Andreas based on the negative reports of serious lag that I've seen on the Mac App Store. If anyone does pick up San Andreas from Steam, please let us know how well it runs.

Objectivist-C

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2006
I seem to be in the minority who are able to install the games.

Performance is fine, as expected of decade-old games. They're being run through Wine rather than as proper ports (unsurprisingly). I need to launch and force-quit the games several times to get them to start up properly, but in-game, things are fine.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Still can't get the games.
I did send a support ticket yesterday, but no response yet.

I think it's bad steam haven't replied in a single thread about this issue on their forum.

Just a heads up would be nice, but it seems they don't care.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Got my copy of GTA: Vice City downloading now. I didn't even know there were going to be Mac versions of these games. Nice surprise.

daniirwan

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2010
I'm purchasing GTA:San Andreas for Mac via Steam now. Bought the Mac App Store version previously & was bitterly disappointed due to lagging problems. Hope the Steam version won't have any lag. I'll report back soon.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I'm purchasing GTA:San Andreas for Mac via Steam now. Bought the Mac App Store version previously & was bitterly disappointed due to lagging problems. Hope the Steam version won't have any lag. I'll report back soon.

Both versions of the game will be pretty much the same, I wouldn't be too optimistic for you. It is more than likely just the same package but offered on steam instead of the app store.

daniirwan

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2010
GTA: San Andreas for mac took 3 hours to download via Steam. Once it finished downlpading, I quickly clicked 'Play' in Steam. Darn thing won't even start :( All I got was a quick notification saying Steam is peparing to launch the game then suddenly this:

Application load error 5:0000065434

I'm frustrated to say the least.

Any ideas what could be the cause & what's a fix for it? FYI, I'm using a mid-2011 iMac 27" i5 with 4GB RAM running OSX 10.7.3.

If it's worth anything, just prior to purchasing the game on Steam, I uninstalled the GTA: San Andreas version I got from the Mac App Store by clicking on it's icon in Launchpad then clicking the cross when it appears. Is that enough to delete all previous game data? Any folders I need to specifically go to to delete all the previous install data? It might be the reason why the error is popping up in the Steam version of San Andreas.

Any help appreciated!

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Both versions of the game will be pretty much the same, I wouldn't be too optimistic for you. It is more than likely just the same package but offered on steam instead of the app store.

I haven't been able to download it yet, but I got a friend to check the version of the cider engine used.
The MAS versions uses Cider version 45xx and the ones on steam version 77xx.

GTA doesn't have any "real" mac versions, but PC version packed in a "virtual machine", much like Wine/Crossover, but an updated version should give better performance.

It's been common practice using this method porting mac games lately and I've updated older games like Need for Speed Carbon and Heroes V with new engines and have gotten better performance.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Mine have just shown up on Steam OSX... took long enough! Funny that they have different names to the originals; "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" and "GTA 3: Vice City Mac".

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Mine have just shown up on Steam OSX... took long enough! Funny that they have different names to the originals; "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" and "GTA 3: Vice City Mac".

Yeah, I think it has because it's different distributors. Same with other games ported, like Civ IV which shows up two times too.

And yes I can finally download them.

daniirwan

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2010

Dagless, do you have any problems launching GTA: VC via SteamPlay?

I emailed Steam support about my problem last night. I received a reply this morning saying that they're 'aware of the problem'. I hope they're working on a solution & not just aware of a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.