Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
So, I've been trying to program a website for a couple weeks now. Not long, I know, but I'm find that I just don't have time to learn/do this. I have a design already made, but it does not fit any themes (at least that I've seen) on Rapidweaver, Dreamweaver, Wordpress, etc.

So, I'm wondering roughly how much it would cost to have just the programming for a site done. It's a fairly straightforward site, mostly just text surrounded by rectangles with curved corners. The most complicated part is users can set up a profile that includes 1 video, 1 picture, and fill in some text fields. Then different profiles are condensed (just the pic and a couple small text fields) and arranged in a grid that people can look through.

Any ideas on how much that would cost? Sorry if it's not clear.

jsm4182

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2006
Beacon, NY
We really can't answer that question. There are a lot of variables involved you don't mention and prices vary by developer and what approach is taken.

blaster_boy

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Belgium
There are several websites out there that can convert your design image into a html theme that you can use. That is without a database and the 'logic' behind your website ofcourse, just the 'looks'.

Try googling for "convert psd to html" - you'll see some adverts for some of the chop shops that do this for you and compare prices.

Before you order with one of them, I would suggest to search for references and reviews on them though...

An other option is to be more detailed and post your design here with more detail on what you want, ie is it one-screen only, or more, interactivity, etc...

richb330

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2009
Gosport, England
What are you using to build the web site? you mention a couple of tools, rapid weaver and dreamweaver. these are standard, apps for generating web sites so you should be able to knock something up fairly quickly. you could also try out netbeans or eclipse for free, simple IDE with loads of tutorials.

Have you checked out any CMS applications such as Drupal or Joomla? These may be a better way to go as they include comprehensive user account management built in, there are also tons of contributed modules that may provide additional features you're looking for. WAMP or MAMP (or LAMP) are your friends here, depending on your preference.

Don't give up! i've been trying to get into web dev for months and just getting my head around the basics, these things take time to learn!

Try building the first page, use html and css, (look up div tags), google for code examples and copy & paste! check out http://www.w3schools.com/ for additional help. If you then need to add more functionality, check out drupal or joomla.

good luck!

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
We really can't answer that question. There are a lot of variables involved you don't mention and prices vary by developer and what approach is taken.

Ok, that makes sense. What other variables would you need me to say? And I realize that developer prices will be different, I'm just looking for a cheap (or average) price. So (once I tell you the other information you need) if I'm looking at something around $300 or $9,000 as a "reasonable" cost for someone to give me.

There are several websites out there that can convert your design image into a html theme that you can use. That is without a database and the 'logic' behind your website ofcourse, just the 'looks'.

Try googling for "convert psd to html" - you'll see some adverts for some of the chop shops that do this for you and compare prices.

Before you order with one of them, I would suggest to search for references and reviews on them though...

An other option is to be more detailed and post your design here with more detail on what you want, ie is it one-screen only, or more, interactivity, etc...

Thanks for the info, I will look them up (and make sure to find references/reviews).

I'll upload a couple pics from what I've done (with the text/pics deleted) so you can see what I mean, and I'll try to give a better description. Overall it will be a site where people fill out a form, and others can look at what they made.

The main page will look like the first image uploaded here. It has a bar on top with some links and a search box. There is a title and some pictures. Underneath that are boxes that are links to other pages on the site (about the sight and the like). On the right side are links for sorting the forms people made. Underneath that are boxes in a scrollable window with 5 or so of the latest forms (willing to just make that with a couple lined up, no scrolling). These boxes contain a title, picture, short description, etc. Underneath it all is a footer with Help, FAQ, etc.

The second image is for setting up a form. Gives people a little info, and then has a place for them to put in a title, short description, etc. What the people fill in here should automatically go into the boxes on the main page, or on a browsing page.

The third page is a browsing page. It just has the forms shown in a grid (here, the viewer clicked for the type 1a sorting).

I have the pages all made up with the real text / pictures and the like (done in Adobe Illustrator). There's a little more to it than that, but that's the main gist of it. I hope that helps :).

What are you using to build the web site? you mention a couple of tools, rapid weaver and dreamweaver. these are standard, apps for generating web sites so you should be able to knock something up fairly quickly. you could also try out netbeans or eclipse for free, simple IDE with loads of tutorials.

Have you checked out any CMS applications such as Drupal or Joomla? These may be a better way to go as they include comprehensive user account management built in, there are also tons of contributed modules that may provide additional features you're looking for. WAMP or MAMP (or LAMP) are your friends here, depending on your preference.

Don't give up! i've been trying to get into web dev for months and just getting my head around the basics, these things take time to learn!

Try building the first page, use html and css, (look up div tags), google for code examples and copy & paste! check out http://www.w3schools.com/ for additional help. If you then need to add more functionality, check out drupal or joomla.

good luck!

Haven't completely given up yet :), but close enough and with little enough time to at least look into someone else doing it. I really want this up in a couple months or sooner, not in a year, which I'm afraid it will be if I learn it myself. I'm trying Rapidweaver right now using Stacks, but there's not enough freedom for placement / size adjustment of the stacks as far as I can tell. I've toyed around with Blocks demo in Rapidweaver as well, which overall is easier, but Blocks can't make rounded corners for it's outlines and I really, really hate the square corner look (too much time on a mac I guess :)).

I haven't looked (or heard of before now) Drupal or Joomla, but I'll look into them. I'm still trying to work on it every day :), but it's going so slowly that depending on the price it might be worth it to have someone who knows this already do it so the site can be up in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks for the tips, though!

Attachments

• Main Page.jpg
    Main Page.jpg
    986.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Form.jpg
    Form.jpg
    963.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Browse.jpg
    Browse.jpg
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 79

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Morning,

What is it you want the site to do? Is this a dating or networking site? Security would be a big issue, at least from my perspective.

Just from what has been said, there is going to be a DB backend to store the user info and paths to images and video. A folder structure to hold videos and images, even if one each. To that, need to think about storage requirements in case the site becomes very popular very fast.

Have you found a hosting site yet, one that will provide the uptime and space needed?

Take care,

So, I've been trying to program a website for a couple weeks now. Not long, I know, but I'm find that I just don't have time to learn/do this. I have a design already made, but it does not fit any themes (at least that I've seen) on Rapidweaver, Dreamweaver, Wordpress, etc.

So, I'm wondering roughly how much it would cost to have just the programming for a site done. It's a fairly straightforward site, mostly just text surrounded by rectangles with curved corners. The most complicated part is users can set up a profile that includes 1 video, 1 picture, and fill in some text fields. Then different profiles are condensed (just the pic and a couple small text fields) and arranged in a grid that people can look through.

Any ideas on how much that would cost? Sorry if it's not clear.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
You have multiple tasks to perform: visual design, HTML/CSS layout and coding, back-end specification, back-end application design, back-end application coding.

I think the first thing you need to recognize is that any one person is unlikely to do all of these things well. SOMETIMES graphic artists will also be good at HTML/CSS, but not always. SOMETIMES HTML/CSS coders have some design sense. SOMETIMES an application developer will also do HTML/CSS well (but probably not visual design).

Since you started-out wanting to do this yourself, I would first identify which aspects you CAN do yourself. But it is naive' to think that you can hire a single person to do the whole job.

The most important thing you need to do to minimize cost is to specify exactly what you want, and to express that clearly.

pelsar

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
israel
you can always "outsource" india/pakistan via odesk. Its always a hit and miss kind of thing..getting the right programmer to understand exactly what you want, but at 5-$15/hour, you can start off by hiring two, see which one understands best and go from there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.