Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I have to use a proxy at college for anything work and most things work fine but Messages isn't working. Any way to fix this? Some apps let me set the proxy from inside them but I thought Apple applications just used the settings I have set in the Network settings

clindner

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
I'm behind a firewall at work that typically does not allow access to the iTunes store or the App Store.

This seems to be affecting Messages as well, as I am not seeing synchronization between my phone and MBP.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'm behind a firewall at work that typically does not allow access to the iTunes store or the App Store.

This seems to be affecting Messages as well, as I am not seeing synchronization between my phone and MBP.

It's not letting me send or receive anything at all when I'm on my college wifi while everything else on my mac works. I tried using my iPhones hotspot and it works fine.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
It's working...

Just sent my brother (who has a 3GS with iOS 5) some messages and he responded. Wait till I tell him I talked to him through my Mac!

qCzar

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
SFBA, CA
It's working...

Just sent my brother (who has a 3GS with iOS 5) some messages and he responded. Wait till I tell him I talked to him through my Mac!

If he has your e-mail which is associated with iMessage under your contact he won't be any wiser. I discovered the iPhone will open a new message history if the e-mail you're sending from isn't under your contact info on their device. So, now my mom has two iMessages with me. If she sends to the one that originally sent with my e-mail through OS X, I get that message on my phone and my computer.

If she replies to the message history that was getting sent to my phone number, it'll only make it to my iPhone and my computer will be out of the loop.

Upon adding my e-mail to my entry in her contacts it doesn't combine the two histories so she still ends up sending messages to either both my phone and computer or just my phone. I dislike this, doesn't seem very "Apple" to me.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
If he has your e-mail which is associated with iMessage under your contact he won't be any wiser. I discovered the iPhone will open a new message history if the e-mail you're sending from isn't under your contact info on their device. So, now my mom has two iMessages with me. If she sends to the one that originally sent with my e-mail through OS X, I get that message on my phone and my computer.

If she replies to the message history that was getting sent to my phone number, it'll only make it to my iPhone and my computer will be out of the loop.

Upon adding my e-mail to my entry in her contacts it doesn't combine the two histories so she still ends up sending messages to either both my phone and computer or just my phone. I dislike this, doesn't seem very "Apple" to me.

This kind of behaviour seems to occur with the iPad + iPhone as well, where the iPad uses your Apple ID (email) but cannot have your mobile # associated directly with it.

It really would be nice to have a live sync of any iMessage conversations across any device that you have your apple ID connected with & logged in.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011

OK, I didn't know that; I don't believe he has my e-mail for my contact on his iPhone.

I also noticed the iMessages I sent never showed up on my iPhone 4S, but I'm not sure if that's just because Messages is still in beta?

ttttaylor

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2009
i'm getting an inaccurate "unread messages" dock badge on both of my computers. on my iPhone 3GS things seem to be working as usual. my conversations sync up okay 80%ish of the time, but on my computers it says i have 3 unread messages. i clearly don't.

things were fine the first time i installed the app, then after shutting down and reopening it (having used iMessage on my phone in the mean time), my conversations from the night before sloppily appeared one message at a time, making the unread count go crazy. it settled on 36. then 7, now it's at 3. seems to have no rhyme or reason.

i know it's a beta and i know it's probably just a bug. just wondering how many other people are experience this and/or if there's anything we can do about it now.

phiberglass

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
I can send messages through messages os x app and then receive the incoming messages in that chat on both the computer and iPhone. However anything sent to/from iPhone originally does not come through to the messages app on os x? What gives? I have my email associated with my phone number for messages on the iPhone as well.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I can send messages through messages os x app and then receive the incoming messages in that chat on both the computer and iPhone. However anything sent to/from iPhone originally does not come through to the messages app on os x? What gives? I have my email associated with my phone number for messages on the iPhone as well.

To one of my friends, using an iPhone 4, any messages from me, be it from my iPhone 3GS or the computer, shows up in the same thread if I use the same Caller ID. To another friend, using an iPhone 4S, the messages get divided into Caller ID-specific threads, but also from which device I'm sending.

So one of my friends sees three threads (one from my phone number and one from each of my connected e-mail addresses), and the other sees five (one from my phone number, and two per e-mail address). Also, I've noticed that some messages just doesn't show up across the board, just as you have. But I haven't found any common denominator for these messages.

I would like to say that this is because it's a beta, but the same problem exists between iOS-devices...

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
i'm getting an inaccurate "unread messages" dock badge on both of my computers. on my iPhone 3GS things seem to be working as usual. my conversations sync up okay 80%ish of the time, but on my computers it says i have 3 unread messages. i clearly don't.

things were fine the first time i installed the app, then after shutting down and reopening it (having used iMessage on my phone in the mean time), my conversations from the night before sloppily appeared one message at a time, making the unread count go crazy. it settled on 36. then 7, now it's at 3. seems to have no rhyme or reason.

i know it's a beta and i know it's probably just a bug. just wondering how many other people are experience this and/or if there's anything we can do about it now.

Yup, same here. First it was 2 unread messages, and now it's 3. The app also doesn't always sort conversation threads by order of most recent usage.

Something I do like, (which is really more about the system as a whole rather than the OS X app specifically) is the fact that the notification on my iPhone's lock screen goes away after I've read it on my computer. I'll have my phone on my desk next to me, see the notification come up on both at the same time (which is nice, btw - GChat always sent notifications to my computer several minutes before they showed up on my phone), read it on my computer, and the notification just disappears from the lock screen. With GChat, I'd always end up "checking" messages I'd already replied to. However, something I've noticed about this is that if I have the Messages app as the currently active application on my Mac, and a new message comes in, the iPhone's screen lights up but displays no notification. I can see this as being a potential detriment to battery life.

I'll report it all to Apple, though. This is what betas are for, after all.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I have noticed that too. It seems to only start keeping track in the OS X app if you use it at least once to send a message. Then it seems to stay updated even if the messages are all sent from iPhone. Not sure if that is by-design or unintentional.

Michael

----------

I also don't like that I essentially have double conversations with people who have iPhones. I have gotten just about anyone I know with an iPhone though to enable receiving iMessages at their email address--mainly so I could text from my mac while I am at work. But there is a downside to that too: it doesn't seem to revert to SMS if it can't send as iMessage (seems to send to their email in that case).

I don't know of a solution unless Apple was the one controlling SMS. But since that is routed through cell carrier, and not even over the Internet, I don't think there is much of a solution. Perhaps if iMessage was more like one of the iOS texting apps it could do so--but that would mean a different phone number.

Michael

nickpro

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Bay Area
anyone having trouble with an inaccurate unread badge count in the dock? i'm running the beta on Lion but i figured i would throw it out in this thread.

i figure it has to do with syncing with the iPhone Messages app, its pretty annoying though.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
I've got it so that whenever I use Messages on my mac it syncs with my phone and vise versa. However I'd like an option that disabled notifications to the phone when using the Messages app on OSX.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
anyone having trouble with an inaccurate unread badge count in the dock? i'm running the beta on Lion but i figured i would throw it out in this thread.

i figure it has to do with syncing with the iPhone Messages app, its pretty annoying though.
I have this problem as well sometimes. I think it has to do with the message is still open on my iPhone or iPad or Mac Air (I am on the Mac Mini most of the time). I posted in another thread that it would be nice that if you close a Chat then it would disappear from all my other devices. Kind of like deleting an email message.

NDPTAL85

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2007

Use Activity Monitor in Applications/Utilities to kill the Dock and the message count will be fixed.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Use Activity Monitor in Applications/Utilities to kill the Dock and the message count will be fixed.

Is there no other way around this? It would be nice to have a solution instead of having to do this every time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.