What to purchase with 17" Macbook Pro - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

What to purchase with 17" Macbook Pro

I will be buying the 2012 version of the Macbook Pro when and if Apple device to refresh it. I have a 17" laptop bag and everything in my signature (minus the thunderbolt display and Macbook Pro obviously). So what else shall I buy with it when I purchase the Macbook Pro?

Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:42 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

A sleeve.
And anything you need.

I have a 2009 17" MBP and I use it with a wired Apple keyboard and mouse, and also have a 2.5" USB HDD to backup to.

And some other schnickschnack.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:47 AM   #3
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
A sleeve.
And anything you need.

I have a 2009 17" MBP and I use it with a wired Apple keyboard and mouse, and also have a 2.5" USB HDD to backup to.

And some other schnickschnack.
Is a 27" Thunderbolt Display worth it or not? I currently have a 24" Samsung rigged up to my Mini, and though the Samsung is nice the Thunderbolt display would look nicer and stuff; but it's a lot to pay for 3 inches of space extra and higher resolution.

Shall I buy the Applecare at the time of purchase or not?

Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:42 AM   #4
jamesbjenkins
macrumors newbie

These really are the sorts of decisions that only you can make for yourself. If it were me, I'd definitely purchase AppleCare, if only because I've had to send in my Mid-2010 MBP twice for display issues.

As far as the cinema display, I'd definitely pass on that. There are a lot better ways to spend $1000 on peripheral equipment. The only reason it's so pricey is cause of that little Apple logo on the front. There are several options from Samsung, ASUS, Viewsonic and others whose performance is in the same league and cost is hundreds cheaper.

Your call...
jamesbjenkins is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbjenkins View Post
These really are the sorts of decisions that only you can make for yourself. If it were me, I'd definitely purchase AppleCare, if only because I've had to send in my Mid-2010 MBP twice for display issues.

As far as the cinema display, I'd definitely pass on that. There are a lot better ways to spend $1000 on peripheral equipment. The only reason it's so pricey is cause of that little Apple logo on the front. There are several options from Samsung, ASUS, Viewsonic and others whose performance is in the same league and cost is hundreds cheaper.

Your call...
Yeah I agree there. It'd be nice to have the full Apple setup, the iPod, iPhone, Mac and Thunderbolt Display but I'll see how I feel at the time.

Thanks.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice