Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahan.tm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Florida
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows about some simple iPhone app marketing techniques? I was wondering about advertising. Any comments are welcome!!

Thanks!!

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Note that with marketing there is usually a big difference between simple and effective.

Press releases and shotgunning review copies to blogs is a very simple (but also very often ignored) marketing technique. Buying ads someplace is another simple, but possibly more-expensive-than-its-worth technique.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I haven't had much success on the iOS app store as far as marketing. On the Mac App Store, however, I've found that my downloads come from these sources:

10-20% of my downloads come from people clicking on my signature on MacRumors. So managing to get either an up voted post or one that's highly visible because it's on the first page of comments works well for me.

20-30% of my downloads come from Softpedia's entry on Battery Status. I have no idea why it's there (I didn't put it there,) but I don't mind the free promotion.

The remaining 50-70%, I have no idea how they find out about my app. Maybe my Facebook page is having a bigger impact than I think. Maybe it's the google site I set up for battery status. Maybe I just made an app that people search for on the app store.

Edit: I have sent free review copies of my apps to numerous review sites. I have never once had an app reviewed.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I haven't had much success on the iOS app store as far as marketing.
What kind of marketing have you done for your iOS app, other than having it listed on the App Store?

On the Mac App Store... 10-20% of my downloads come from people clicking on my signature on MacRumors.
Given this, I'm curious why you don't also list your iOS app in your signature.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Well in most other industries Happy Customers are your best marketing.
So who are your target customers?
Will they be using your app around other target customers?
What sort of blogs do your target customers read?
Who are the "cool" people, and or the early adopters?

Lots of people use iPhones and iPads these days if your target customers don't tend to go to tech sites, or the regular app review sites then your throwing your money away there. You need to go where they are.

Still it all depends on who your customers are?
Even things like games, you might be better finding young relatives and giving them codes to hand out at school than trying to get a write up on a blog. You need to have a good idea of your target to decide if Viral is going to work better than media marketing.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
What kind of marketing have you done for your iOS app, other than having it listed on the App Store?

Handing out free promo codes (and codes for free IAP to my free app).
Sending requests for reviews.
Putting them in my signature.

Given this, I'm curious why you don't also list your iOS app in your signature.

I have. Whenever I release a new app, I advertise it in my signature. When my iOS apps were newest, they were in my signature. Now that Battery Status is newest, it's in my signature. I try to actually say a little about the app rather than just list off all the apps I have. Maybe I could replace the Facebook link with a link to a portfolio with the rest of my apps.

Agjef

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
I did a press release for our first app and that seemed to work initially (we got our analytics from prMac). We were charging a 1.99 so although we had 300 clicks of interested users, no one downloaded until we made it free and we got a surge for a couple of days. Now we are down to zero downloads per day. I refused to waste money on any more app marketing because no one pays attention to ads; I think alot of people go by word of mouth. PPC/CPC, CPM, Google adwords and banner advertising doesn't work at all. It would be nice to get more ideas on how to advertise, though.

----------

I did a press release for our first app and that seemed to work initially (we got our analytics from prMac). We were charging a 1.99 so although we had 300 clicks of interested users, no one downloaded until we made it free and we got a surge for a couple of days. Now we are down to zero downloads per day. I refused to waste money on any more app marketing because the advertising apps is difficult; I think alot of people go by word of mouth. PPC/CPC, CPM, Google adwords and banner advertising doesn't work at all. It would be nice to get more ideas on how to advertising.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I have zero idea exactly how a few of my apps sell. They randomly get bursts of sales between bouts of nothing. I do zero advertising, nothing on my farcebook page or chirping feed. Still sales start appearing on the trend reports. I google/bing around to see if there are any forums, blog posts or review sites that freshly mention these apps. Nada. I check in the App store for new reviews and rating. Also nothing. It's also not my mom, I've seen her iTunes account.

Best I can assume is:

1) Word of mouth. A happy customer tells a roomful of buddys who have iPhones, and a bunch of them buy.

2) Random search. Some people are searching for something (who knows what), and the gnomes at Apple on that day rank my app before other apps for my search keywords.

3) In some really tiny country where just 1 random sale can put an app on the top 200 lists, that somehow causes people in larger countries to notice it also.

4) Someone randomly ends up on (a get lucky button or something) and actually follows the links on my nearly invisible support web pages for my apps.

Any other possibilites I missed?

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
The app industry is in a state of change. We have a flood of apps and one of the biggest problems with most apps is discovery.

The methods of marketing used before have also been flooded. Things like social media like a YouTube video are flooded with everyone's apps. This makes a number of the marketing methods less effective.

Several companies have come forward with "solutions". I've seen a number of those busted as scams. They promise big downloads, claim special contacts, etc... yet I've seen few if any actually deliver on the promises.

Some will go as far as to make several accounts in a forum like this just to falsely make claims that the service works.

Some use bots to download your apps and other simply send a PR (press release) to email account of bloggers.

Bloggers have been flooded with requests and most are ignored.

If you have an app that's specific to a group of users, you can advertise where they go. Example, advertise a baseball app on a baseball forum.

Word of mouth works, if your app is great, people should be able to see that and they might tell others.

Some of the big companies have deep connections and that's hard to compete against.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.