Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:16 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Confirms Plans for Another Large Data Center in Prineville, Oregon

KTVZ.com has received confirmation from Apple that the company plans to build a new data center on a 160-acre lot in Prineville, Oregon. The land was reportedly purchased for $5.6 million from Crook County. A February 15th filing first identified Apple, Inc. as the purchaser of the land, which Apple later confirmed:
Quote:
Apple spokeswoman Kristin Huguet confirmed Tuesday that "we purchased the land and it's for a data center," but could not speak to details beyond that, other than to say it will be a "green" facility.

Facebook's data center in Prineville, Oregon
Word of the possibility of a new Apple data center in Oregon was first reported in December when it was revealed that Apple was in discussions over the location. The new data center would be near a recently opened Facebook data center in the same area.

Apple has been working hard to expand its data center capacity to handle iCloud and other services, having invested $1 billion in the North Carolina center and revealing a master plan that could see the size of that facility double in the future. Apple also maintains a smaller data center in Newark, California and has been building out minor additional capacity in Santa Clara, California near its corporate headquarters in Cupertino.

Article Link: Apple Confirms Plans for Another Large Data Center in Prineville, Oregon
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

Apple has big plans for the cloud. I wouldn't be surprised if expanded cloud services has something to do with an upcoming Apple TV.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Peterson8765
macrumors 6502a

This is great. Live by Prineville, and it's good to know people are gonna finally get some more work.
Peterson8765 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:27 PM   #4
-Ken-
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterson8765 View Post
This is great. Live by Prineville, and it's good to know people are gonna finally get some more work.
Agreed. That part of the state really could use it.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:29 PM   #5
pancakedrawer
macrumors regular

I hope there is enough space there to store my TV shows and movies.
It's the missing link to removing my need for large hard drives all together.
pancakedrawer is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:31 PM   #6
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
That, and Apple might be going into search and maps to get away from using google products on iOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ken- View Post
Agreed. That part of the state really could use it.
A very happy side effect of Apple's success.

For me, it makes it easier to pay Apple's prices knowing that things like this are a result - however indirect it might be.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:41 PM   #7
ECUpirate44
Banned

Quote:
The most benefit the area will see is the construction. Only a few people work at the one in Maiden.
ECUpirate44 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:50 PM   #8
dnask8
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to dnask8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
The most benefit the area will see is the construction. Only a few people work at the one in Maiden.
Yeah the construction part is the biggie. Had some buddies that working on the FB one there and they had solid work for awhile. Looked at the jobs at that one and I am pretty sure fewer than 50 people work at it. So not many jobs year round but the construction part will be great and more and more companies will probably start looking at the area too. Data centers payin' it forward in Central Oregon!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:05 PM   #9
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
According to Wikipedia, there are 7356 people in Prineville, so even 100 jobs will make a substantial impact on the community.
Ugg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:24 AM   #10
zoetmb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yes, but if reports about Apple's other data center are accurate, they don't actually hire very many people. But some is better than none and they'll also be the temporary construction jobs. And even a small number of people need to buy supplies, presumably from local merchants and they order food, rent/buy houses, pay taxes if they live in that town, etc.
zoetmb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:24 PM   #11
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
Apple has big plans for the cloud. I wouldn't be surprised if expanded cloud services has something to do with an upcoming Apple TV.
That, and Apple might be going into search and maps to get away from using google products on iOS.
troop231 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:31 PM   #12
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Exactly. From the amount of jobs this new facility will create to the new possibilities it'll provide for Apple, everything about this report is awesome.
Stridder44 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:38 PM   #13
Grimace
macrumors 68040

Keep in mind that it will take years to build and come online. This is either to support existing cloud stuff or it's part of something super awesome that we don't yet know about.
Grimace is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:39 PM   #14
brofkand
macrumors newbie

The data center in NC employs less than 100 people. Data centers aren't the huge employers people think they are.
brofkand is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:41 PM   #15
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
The data center in NC employs less than 100 people. Data centers aren't the huge employers people think they are.
Construction workers to build it.
Landscapers to maintain the grounds.
Service/Maintenance jobs.
Utilities income.
Taxes paid to the State/County/City.
Other companies may be attracted to the area (Facebook recommended it to Apple).
On and on...

You can't measure the economic impact on the number of jobs alone.
Patriot24 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:10 AM   #16
matty.p
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
That's true but Prineville has maybe 8,000 residents. 100 new jobs can make a huge impact, even if that means that 1/2 of them are commuting from Bend.
matty.p is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:41 PM   #17
DaffyDuck
macrumors 6502

I believe much of this is for expanded TV show content as well as 1080P availability for TV shows and Movies.
DaffyDuck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:46 PM   #18
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

It's sunny in Australia and we have good natural gas supply.
I'm sure a good site for an Apple Data could be found.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:47 PM   #19
Peace
macrumors P6

Great for Oregon !!

This probably also means another huge solar farm over there.

Or more wind power.
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:48 PM   #20
mdriftmeyer
macrumors 68020

Redundant data centers is standard for what Apple planned for iCloud. I'd expect Apple to build several more to alleviate the load and handle the requests they will need for existing services, never mind future services.
mdriftmeyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:34 PM   #21
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
That would be nice, but it might alienate people. They already avoid iWork because they think it'll not be good for their work, but I use it at a Windows-using school and have no problems with it (it's actually way better).

They just want to stay with their proven companies.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep1977 View Post
Good news. This probably created more jobs than that whole $850,000,000,000 "stimulus package" created. Bravo Apple!

Companies triumph over Democrats again
faroZ06 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:49 PM   #22
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep1977 View Post
Good news. This probably created more jobs than that whole $850,000,000,000 "stimulus package" created. Bravo Apple!
It's only in the planning stages - so most likely few or no jobs have been created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
Companies triumph over Democrats again
And the tea party continues to flail....
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:53 PM   #23
KingJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
too bad the opposition of the Australian government are blocking fibre internet in Australia... I am paying $130 a month for 1500k... Can't even stream 480p on that.
KingJosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:12 PM   #24
Zimmer62943
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJosh View Post
too bad the opposition of the Australian government are blocking fibre internet in Australia... I am paying $130 a month for 1500k... Can't even stream 480p on that.
I live in country australia, adsl1, i get 5000k speeds from typical copper line, and pay $49, i think your being ripped off.
Also, i think you'll find its rudd/gillards failing here, they deployed the fibre-to-home scheme and its a complete mess, the opposition is making it difficult but they have no control over it.
Zimmer62943 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:06 AM   #25
KingJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmer62943 View Post
I live in country australia, adsl1, i get 5000k speeds from typical copper line, and pay $49, i think your being ripped off.
Also, i think you'll find its rudd/gillards failing here, they deployed the fibre-to-home scheme and its a complete mess, the opposition is making it difficult but they have no control over it.
if the opposition had their way we would be on the crappy wireless. Where I live I hardly even get a good mobile phone signal I'd hate to know the dropout and low speeds on the oppositions idea of internet. I live in Portugal during Australia's winter and on fibre there is ridiculously good.

my plan is with iinet 200gb a month 1.5mb with phone usage included I think it is $80 without phone not sure lol
KingJosh is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion