Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Foxconn's efforts to bring iPhone and iPad production to Brazil have seen significant attention in recent months, with the move being part of a strategy to diversify manufacturing locations and make the devices more affordable in the world's fifth most populous country by eliminating high import taxes. While much of the focus has been on getting iPad production up and running in Brazil, the company has already been working on iPhone production there, with an 8 GB iPhone 4 having leaked in late November.

The iPhone 4S and 8 GB iPhone 4 debuted in Brazil in mid-December, but early models were manufactured in China and carried very high pricing with the iPhone 4S starting at the equivalent of over $1400. With exchange rate fluctuations that figure is now over $1500, while the cheaper 8 GB iPhone 4 still comes in at a hefty $1050. The unlocked iPhone 4 is priced at $549 in the United States.

As noted by Meio Bit [Google translation], Apple has indeed begun selling the Brazilian-made 8 GB iPhone 4 through its online store in that country, as evidenced by manufacturing information on the box and the phone itself.

8gb_iphone_4_brazil_box.jpg

Apple's online store is also now referring to the black and white models as MD128BR/A and MD198BR/A respectively, with the MD198BR number having been seen on the previously-leaked iPhone 4 from Brazil. The Chinese-made 8 GB iPhone 4 had originally launched in Brazil with MD128BZ/A and MD198BZ/A model numbers. It is not clear exactly when Apple made the transition to selling Brazilian-manufactured iPhone 4 units, but it appears to have been at least several weeks ago.

But while Apple has now transitioned to selling domestically-manufactured iPhone 4 units in Brazil, pricing has yet to come down. It is unclear whether Apple and Foxconn have yet to meet all requirements or receive certification from the Brazilian government that would make the devices exempt from the hefty import taxes or if there are other factors in play.

Notably, the iPhone 4S does not yet appear to be being manufactured in Brazil, with those devices continuing to carry "BZ" model numbers identifying them as manufactured in China for the Brazilian market. The same appears to be true of the iPhone 3GS, which is priced at the equivalent of $700. Consequently, any adjustment in pricing for the Brazilian-made iPhone 4 would create inconsistencies across the company's iPhone line there due to the significant difference in import taxes, but it is unclear how Apple and Foxconn are planning to deal with this issue.

Article Link: Apple Now Selling Brazilian-Made iPhone 4, But Pricing Remains High

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
If I take it as read that we are talking USD here, then how on earth can the normal Brazlian ever afford an iPhone?

The elite, and the fortunate will remain the only ones who can purchase one. San Paulo is a beautiful, but notorious place for high crime etc. No go areas where ( I am going back a ways ) was told that if I showed my face in I WOULD be attacked, mugged or possibly killed.

I can't see how Apple can achieve widespread sales unless they can bring down those prices.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
If I take it as read that we are talking USD here, then how on earth can the normal Brazlian ever afford an iPhone?

The elite, and the fortunate will remain the only ones who can purchase one. San Paulo is a beautiful, but notorious place for high crime etc. No go areas where ( I am going back a ways ) was told that if I showed my face in I WOULD be attacked, mugged or possibly killed.

I can't see how Apple can achieve widespread sales unless they can bring down those prices.

The iPhone is not that affordable in the UK either. The cheapest iPhone 4S on PAYG is 500 quid. Apple has made it's fortune building premium products which by definition are targetted at wealthier customers. Given the way they're raking in the profits I can't see that changing anytime soon.

I've also read many reports of people in the US and the UK being mugged for their iPhone or iPad. Sadly it's a fact of life these days. There are many parts of the UK that I wouldn't want to go after dark, especially some of our inner city ghettos.

eekcat

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Where in the US can I find an unlocked iphone 4S for $549? Seems to be at least $649...

you people smh

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011

They can get one the same way they do here in america or over in britain.

Spend money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

rodrigomarrafao

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009

Apple products here in Brazil are targeted exclusively to the elite class. Besides that, brazilians consumers are known to be impulsive buyers all around, so Apple is selling tons of IPhone 4s even to persons who can't really afford its products.

Brazilians are all about hype, so they will buy anything at any price tag if they fell it will "boost" status. Apple knows it, and prolly its marketing genius are going after the most profitable strategy. Low stocks with a huge price tag.

p.s. - about São Paulo's crime rate, yes it is high, but those "no go" areas you mentioned are kinda fictional. Of course there are places tourists shouldn't go (same with every city in the planet), but stating you would be attacked or killed as a rule is harsh.

Butters619

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not following. It costs Apple $1400 to make an iPhone 4s?

Import taxes charged by the Brazilian government on top of the price of the phone. I used to work at Best Buy and Brazilians would fly to America to try to avoid these, but occasionally would get stopped by customs in Brazil on the way home and have to pay the import tax on their product which costs as much as the product itself.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
I would like to see someone compare the build quality of an iPhone made in China and one made in Brazil wonder which is the better build quality......

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I would like to see someone compare the build quality of an iPhone made in China and one made in Brazil wonder which is the better build quality......

They should be the same quality given that they're using the same components and the same Apple quality control. These people don't actually manufacture the iPhones they just assemble the parts together into a finished unit.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
They should be the same quality given that they're using the same components and the same Apple quality control. These people don't actually manufacture the iPhones they just assemble the parts together into a finished unit.

I gather that but I was wondering if those in Brazil are happier/better paid etc etc and therefore more likely to do a better job.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Let me know when the MD128US/A are available.

Not in this life!

Production will go all around the globe first to all the places where humans make too many humans (as in overpopulation!)
Overpopulation causes joblessness (There aren't enough jobs in the world for everybody anyway) and thus low wages.
So, next in line will be India (somewhat) and eventually Afrika will be targeted.

Yes, you read it here first.

If African countries get political stability figured out with currency issues, they'll see a lot of business. (I wouldn't be surprised if FoxConn was already in talks over there)

That excludes the famous Nigerian Princess married to the honorable Rev. Pashkali Tmubab, who is leaving the usual 60 million dollars in a special account for anybody to claim.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Holy Crap!!! $1500 for a phone! I'll never complain again about Apple prices here.

(Well, actually I will... my memory being what it is :p)

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I gather that but I was wondering if those in Brazil are happier/better paid etc etc and therefore more likely to do a better job.

Who says China is doing a bad job? QC is QC wherever.

As with all factory work it doesn't matter how much one would pay. It is
boring, monotonous, depressing depending on ones attitude and rarely happy, plus people would still complain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.