Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:44 AM   #1
MojoDojo
macrumors member

The iPhone 5 might actually have some real competition from the Galaxy S III...

Ridiculous names and gigantic "phablets" aside, the Samsung Galaxy S III is really shaping up to be pretty impressive:

http://www.bgr.com/2012/02/27/samsun...-ceramic-case/
MojoDojo is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:53 AM   #2
takeshi74
macrumors 601

How so? Support your claim. Are you basing your assertion just on specs? How many threads do we need touting the latest rumored Android device and how it's specs will give Apple a run for the money? It never been just specs that make iOS devices appealing. I'm not saying "specs don't matter" but "specs aren't everything".
takeshi74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:56 AM   #3
silver8ack
macrumors regular

Just like every other Galaxy S.x. Did they even compete with the iPhone 3?
silver8ack is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:58 AM   #4
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver8ack View Post
4.8" seems way too large for a phone. As much as I would enjoy an increased iPhone screen size, I would not like something that big!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:51 AM   #5
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by basesloaded190 View Post
4.8" seems way too large for a phone. As much as I would enjoy an increased iPhone screen size, I would not like something that big!
Don't forget it's 16:9, so it's not as big as you think.

At 4.8" diagonal, that's 2.35" wide. Only 0.07" wider than a Galaxy Nexus screen.

More importantly, that's only 0.04" wider than the entire iPhone 4S case.

So if they managed to make the screen full width with almost no bezel, it'd be just a fraction wider than the current iPhone.
kdarling is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:13 PM   #6
yeah
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I would not like something that big!
Giggity
Old Mar 1, 2012, 02:06 PM   #7
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
It's big but not too big. My girlfriend has a htc sensation xl which has a 4.7" screen and it's really nice.
matttye is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:53 AM   #8
ABadSanta
macrumors regular

Quote:
Take a look at the current Galaxy S II. It's fast, has a great quality screen and is very thin. What are you basing your comment on?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
How so? Support your claim. Are you basing your assertion just on specs? How many threads do we need touting the latest rumored Android device and how it's specs will give Apple a run for the money? It never been just specs that make iOS devices appealing. I'm not saying "specs don't matter" but "specs aren't everything".
I don't think the OP is comparing these future phones based on specs alone.

The GSIII seems to be a very impressive phone in terms of specs, form factor, and design. I'm not surprised if many current iphone owners switch over.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
OK but we don't walk around with TV's all day. 4.8 inches is a bit ridiculous. I have no problems with the size of the iphone screen.

If anybody thinks Apple will have a 4.5 inch screen or higher they are in for a rude awakening. Maybe, just maybe they will bump it up a bit but it wont be one of these huge phablets.
To each his own, I suppose.
ABadSanta is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:47 PM   #9
silver8ack
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABadSanta View Post
Take a look at the current Galaxy S II. It's fast, has a great quality screen and is very thin. What are you basing your comment on?
Specs... what are specs....? Numbers on paper. Unless it translates into sales, and customer needs/wants, they mean nothing. Just like every other 'iPhone killer' to date.
silver8ack is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:16 PM   #10
chakraj
macrumors 65816

Yes specs are unimportant, unless apples specs are better, then they are the most important thing.

Just like the OS, its the most important, unless the other guys have a great OS then its not important at all.

Sheesh, when will you all learn
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:17 PM   #11
ABadSanta
macrumors regular

Quote:
Specs... what are specs....? Numbers on paper. Unless it translates into sales, and customer needs/wants, they mean nothing. Just like every other 'iPhone killer' to date.
I think arguably many Galaxy S.X devices do compete with the "iPhone 3" (I'm going to assume you mean the iPhone 3G or 3GS). Operating systems aside, the Galaxy SII provides a very fluid user experience and many consumers have adopted them.

Obviously user experience > specs alone, but don't discount these Samsung Galaxy phones.
ABadSanta is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:30 PM   #12
bembol
macrumors 6502a

Impressive.

I had android before (hTc EVO 3D, nexus S) loved OS & the 4"+ HD LCD but I gave it up and switched back to iPhone (64GB, 4S) because I wanted Siri and being an Apple user I missed iTunes (UI, Library).
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:20 PM   #13
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
Nobody is calling it an iPhone killer. There wont be an iPhone killer, The only one that can kill the iPhone is........Apple, with their not so inspriing upgrades and slow to give the public what they want and staying with a small screen.
However, the Galaxy S series is doing very well.
The GS2 has sold over 20 million and 850,000 Android phones get activated everyday. They are doing something right after starting two years after the iPhone came out.
Vegastouch is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:02 AM   #14
silver8ack
macrumors regular

I'll never buy another Samsung product(I realize their parts are in everything). However, I disdain Samsung advertising campaign that basically labels Apple users as idiots.

Yes, we are stupid for wanting a Hardware/Software quality that no other manufacturer has come close to matching at this point(Desktop/Laptop/iDevice). Sorry, we don't want an uber-spec'd device that requires a holster to carry, and breaks down in 9 months.
silver8ack is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:02 AM   #15
nfl46
macrumors 601

I love how they are pushing the limits of smartphones. We need this to move forward. Sorry, but I want to live in the future. Screens are getting larger on smartphones, but also getting thinner...the same for flat screen tv's.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:37 AM   #16
solo118
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
I love how they are pushing the limits of smartphones. We need this to move forward. Sorry, but I want to live in the future. Screens are getting larger on smartphones, but also getting thinner...the same for flat screen tv's.
OK but we don't walk around with TV's all day. 4.8 inches is a bit ridiculous. I have no problems with the size of the iphone screen.

If anybody thinks Apple will have a 4.5 inch screen or higher they are in for a rude awakening. Maybe, just maybe they will bump it up a bit but it wont be one of these huge phablets.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:26 AM   #17
nfl46
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post

But the phone is thin and light. 4.8" isn't a bit ridiculous, if most of the screen is glass. If Apple comes out with a 4.5" or bigger phone, people around here will praise it and think its "amazing." Who knows? Maybe Apple will. It seems like Tim is running Apple slightly different than Steve. I guess we will have to wait until next week...we may see a smaller iPad...everyone said Apple will never release one...

If you think 3.5" is perfect, then stick with the current iPhones...Apple knows its time to move into the 4" range.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:56 AM   #18
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
Screens are getting larger on smartphones, but also getting thinner...the same for flat screen tv's.
Next thing you'll know, we'll be walking around with laptops strapped to our heads.
Yes, bigger phones is where its at! lol
[/sarcasm]

I understand many wanting larger screens. But where does it stop? Its a phone with other options.
I read that people want a small tablet that includes a phone. I feel they have it backwards.

But of course, I now see these newer TVs with wifi built in and video cameras coming built in as well, then I see the future of our telephone calls.
And the future of the government surveillance on its citizens.

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:58 AM   #19
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

The HTC One X looks pretty impressive as well.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:13 AM   #20
nefan65
macrumors 65816

Samsung = Bad

I'll never buy another Samsung product, phones included...

I purchased a brand new HDTV from them in 2009. It had the well known capacitor issue. About 3 months ago I called about it. Customer service was terrible. My TV JUST fell out of warranty by a week, yet they would do nothing. The time/cost to replace the bad capacitors was $5 for the parts, and 15 minutes for a qualified repair person.

I've had Apple products that were well out of warranty, but had known problems [Macbook Palmrest issue]. Brought it in, and they didn't even hesitate to replace it, at NO COST.

Samsung can stick it where the sun doesn't shine, and they can start with their cheap, plastic, crappy phones.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:25 AM   #21
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

1080p on a smartphone? What is wrong with some people.

The way Samsung push these specs for one up man ship is pathetic.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:55 AM   #22
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefan65 View Post

Samsung can stick it where the sun doesn't shine, and they can start with their cheap, plastic, crappy phones.
I always laugh when iPhone fans say this and the first thing that most do with their amazing iPhone is stick it in a plastic case. I know some go naked but most use cases. So if you have a plastic case on the phone does it really matter if the phone itself is made of plastic?
LSUtigers03 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:15 PM   #23
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtigers03 View Post
I always laugh when iPhone fans say this and the first thing that most do with their amazing iPhone is stick it in a plastic case. I know some go naked but most use cases. So if you have a plastic case on the phone does it really matter if the phone itself is made of plastic?
Not to mention the fact that iPhone was plastic for two generations, one of them still selling very well to this day...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakraj View Post
Yes specs are unimportant, unless apples specs are better, then they are the most important thing.
Spot on!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:21 AM   #24
Yumunum
macrumors 65816

Why is it even a question whether it'll have decent competition? Samsung's Galaxy S II put up a big fight this last year. The iPhone's lackluster 4S upgrade put's Apple in an even worse spot than before.

The Galaxy S III will rock.
Yumunum is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:27 AM   #25
SurferMan
macrumors 65816

I'd buy it, but only if there are various models like before, and in which I hope AT&T goes the smart route again like the GSII by doing a smaller 4.3" screen version in a very thin phone and not being much bigger then our 4/4S. Don't really want anything over that size, but that's not to say others don't... obviously a market for that, I don't want the Note either but it's perfect for their "niche" market their targeting. I like our iphones (have 3gs/4/4s) but I love my GSII, and that's from someone who didn't care for Android before.
SurferMan is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone