Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to its report today about a potential 14-inch MacBook Air, DigiTimes also claims that Apple is expected to launch its thinner MacBook Pro models perhaps as soon as April. The report is a bit inconsistent in describing the timing, initially stating that the debut would be in April "at the soonest" while later simply mentioning that they are expected in April.

13_15_macbook_pro.jpg

The report specifies that the redesigned models will include 13-inch and 15-inch models, but there is no word on the 17-inch MacBook Pro. Previous reports have indicated that the redesigned 17-inch model could appear slightly later than the smaller models, similar to Apple's rollout of the unibody MacBook Pro in late 2008 and early 2009.
Apple is expected to launch new MacBook Pro notebooks with an even thinner and lighter design than existing models in April, at the soonest. [...]

Apple is expected to launch upgraded 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pros in April with initial shipments estimated to reach 900,000 units.
The report also addresses claims of delays in mass availability of Intel's Ivy Bridge chips, suggesting that Apple could gain an advantage over its competitors looking to release ultrabooks, as Intel's ultra-low voltage chips destined for those machines may not arrive until June.

Chip availability for revamped MacBook Pro models is a bit uncertain, as Intel has not specifically addressed the timeline for quad-core mobile processors such as those found in the current 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro. Dual-core processors such as those found in the smaller 13-inch MacBook Pro do seem to have been pushed back a bit, although it is possible that Apple could squeeze a quad-core Ivy Bridge chip into the 13-inch MacBook Pro as Intel is releasing a chip with a somewhat lower 35-watt thermal design requirement.

Even with potential delays in mass availability of new chips, Apple has on occasion received preferential treatment from Intel, a relationship that could give Apple greater access to limited initial supplies of new Ivy Bridge chips.

Article Link: Thinner MacBook Pro Models in 13-Inch and 15-Inch Sizes Coming in April?

Qfic

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2011
Would be very surprised if new macbooks come out before the new imacs

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I think at this point Apple will release Macs in whatever order chips become available. The whole Mac lineup could us a refresh, some more than others though.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
This is pretty cool! I'd love a thinner MacBook Pro...

I'd like to be able to take mine to university campus every day, but it's just too heavy to lug around in my backpack all day. I would get an air, but the hard drive size is quite limiting :rolleyes:

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
I'm not convinced that releasing 13 and 15-inch MBP's would give Apple a huge advantage over ultrabook buyers, I assume that these things will be packing some updated dedicated graphics cards and wouldn't quite have the same profile (and certainly would cost more than the $1000-mark).

But, that being said, there are folks like me that love the ultrabook style but can't justify buying a laptop without dedicated graphics. Depending on what exactly they launch, it could be a good fit.

As for iMacs, I don't expect they'll be going much longer without an update. It's already been a long-ass time. Could be a similar setup, where they just release whatever they can get chips for. Might not be the whole range at first.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My credit card is ready! So is my late-2006 MacBook. It's on its last legs and needs to retire.

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
I suppose if Apple ditches the ODD and go with SSD it can be lighter and thinner, though they are still limited by the height of the thickest port, which is gigabit ethernet, or FW800..

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Can't imagine them releasing a new MBP without Ivy Bridge. I don't really care about the redesign. Just want ivy bridge, USB 3, SSD and a 2nd HD option to replace the OOD.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I would rather they keep the thickness and stuff it with more battery.

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
Can't imagine them releasing a new MBP without Ivy Bridge. I don't really care about the redesign. Just want ivy bridge, USB 3, SSD and a 2nd HD option to replace the OOD.

Not sure if they would put USB 3 on Macs, just like how they never supported eSATA and BluRay. Isn't TB twice as fast as USB3?

ppilone

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I'm very much due for a new MBP and have been holding out for Ivy Bridge. As much as I want to believe all these rumors, I can't ignore the fact that all these rumors always start out:

"... despite the massive chip delays and uncertainty from Intel, Apple will probably most definitely be getting them early!"

::need to be realistic::

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Finally some Mac news!!!!

I am using my PowerBook G4 from Dec. 2005 and going back to school for my PhD this fall. It's dang time to buy a new computer!!! :D:D

AntJon82

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2009
NYC
Please have the odd

please KEEP THE ODD,PUT IN A BETTER GPU & SCREEN AND YOU CAN TAKE MY MONEY!!! PLEASE KEEP THE ODD IF THIS THING CAN MAKE MY VIDEO EDITING & UPLOADING BETTER THEN BRING IT!!

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England

Who mentioned no Ivy Bridge? Just because there are rumors that some CPU's may slip a bit doesn't mean that will effect Apples line up of releases.

chameleon81

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
I think it is time to get rid off the cdrom drive.

----------

Finally some Mac news!!!!

I am using my PowerBook G4 from Dec. 2005 and going back to school for my PhD this fall. It's dang time to buy a new computer!!! :D:D
Probably you will have emotional moments after 6 years and sth :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.