Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smackbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Alright I've read around plenty that the white Apple earphones (with the mic and remote) aren't compatible with the 3rd Gen Nano. Of course they work as just headphones but I wish I could use the remote with it.

This might be a stupid question, but are there any such things as updates for the 3rd Gen Nano to make the remote compatible? If not (which I'm guessing there isn't) they really should do something like that.. Where you can just download an update and all of a sudden the remote can change songs and adjust volume. Has anyone heard of that at all??

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
The Apple earphones with remote have a slightly different plug, with a different number of metal contacts; this allows for a third separate electrical channel for the remote functions (the first two channels are for left/right audio). In order for the remote function to work, the jack into which it's plugged must have a corresponding third contact as well. I'm not sure whether the 3rd gen nano has this contact in its headphone jack. If it doesn't, then no amount of software updating can compensate for the lack of hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.