Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Just preordered and can't wait for March 16th to arrive!

As a default I can easily revert to Apple's Smart Cover, but the truth is I feel there has to be a perfect case out there.

Obviously we all have different tastes and preferences in terms of cases and their related functionality, but this is the perfect place to express those opinions!

I'll mention that with my iPad 1, I have the InCase Magazine Jacket which was great for typing and propping up to watch movies (not in bed though); though admittedly every once in a while would take the case off and use the iPad naked. lol.

Anyways. New iPad Cases!!!

TexasChemE

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
I was just about to post a similar thread!

I'll be moving up from the iPad 1 to the New iPad, so I will have to buy all new cases. I am thinking about a sleeve (one that I used with my iPad 1) and a smart cover to start out with. I am thinking about something like the iFrogz Summit Case, but I am not completely sure that will fit the new iPad.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I'm trying to decide what kind of case to get. With a phone or a laptop, it's a far easier choice. But with a tablet/iPad, it's much more complicated. So many different usage scenarios.

I guess I will just have to see what I prefer.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I almost think it would be fun to place a bet here on which iPad 2 case model will be the first to market with an iPad 3 equivalent.

My money is on Yoobao.

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
STM has confirmed they are indeed redesigning their Skinny case for the new iPad. I used this with my iPad 2 and there's no doubt in my mind that this is the only case you need.

It's very thin and hardly adds any bulk. It protects the back unlike the Smart Cover and has magnets so it can do the sleep/wake thing just like the Smart Cover. Also, it can be used as a stand.

Here is a video:

You can check them out here. No option to buy it yet but they are coming! I'm definitely gonna wait for them.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
STM has confirmed they are indeed redesigning their Skinny case for the new iPad. I used this with my iPad 2 and there's no doubt in my mind that this is the only case you need.

It's very thin and hardly adds any bulk. It protects the back unlike the Smart Cover and has magnets so it can do the sleep/wake thing just like the Smart Cover. Also, it can be used as a stand.

this is awesome news

hopefully this comes out by the end of the month

love this case

CHSeifert

macrumors 6502
I have both the light blue magnetic apple cover and a $200 Vaja case for my iPad 2.

I plan to sell my iPad 2 with the (still sealed) light blue magnetic Apple cover.

Question:
Will the new iPad (3) fit in the Vaja iPad 2 case or what ?

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Is it cloth?

Uhh...no? xD

this is awesome news

hopefully this comes out by the end of the month

love this case

RadTech who is one of their authorized dealers has already put up pre-orders. The price of the case is $39.99, which is cheaper than the Skinny 2 (which was $49.99). The expected shipping date looks to be March 28.

You can check them out here.

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
I had a few cases for my 1st gen iPad and gave it to my little sister in anticipation for the release today. Do we know yet if the iPad 2 cases will fit the 3 even though the 3 is a little bit bigger? It's such a tiny difference that I wonder if it's not going to be an issue. Any ideas?

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
I have the original iPad with the black apple case.

I'm looking for something similar for the iPad 3.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I've just been using the SmartCover for my iPad 2 (I'll probably keep in since I doubt a pink one will sell itself on Craigslist when I sell iPad 2. I use a GelaSkin on the back to prevent scratches.

I LOVE the Portenzo case, waiting to find out if they need to update it for the newest iPad, then I think I'll order it. Like the Moleskine-style look.

When I'm reading/playing on the couch I like being able to take off the SmartCover and use the iPad with no case because it's so much lighter that way. Whatever case I pick up, I'm looking for something that's easy to pop out and "go naked". :D

redryder

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
Hi guys,

For my ipad1 I used a thick leather folio type case which protected the front and back from drops. I can't tell you how many times my children have dropped the ipad and it survived them all.

For the ipad 2 or 3, are there cases which provide good drop protection for front and back, while adding minimal bulk? I like the leather folio protection, but it is bulky as hell and adds a lot of weight.

nd3eb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
For the iPad 2 I went through several case combinations... I started with a smart cover and a cheap TPU "smart cover companion" case from ebay.
I then put that into a neoprene sleeve when traveling to and from work.

That got annoying after awhile so I wanted an "all in one" case that I wouldn't have to put into a neoprene sleeve for protection. I got the maroo case http://www.maroo.com
They have some really cool designs and I really like the case. I'm pretty sure the new iPads will fit in these cases since they're not too much thicker.

But i'm thinking with the new iPad of going naked :eek:
I'm so neurotic when it comes to my apple stuff, always afraid of breaking it and losing hundreds of dollars. But i think im going to stick with the smart cover over and the maki sleeve http://goincase.com/products/detail/maki-sleeve-cl57994/2 which looks ridiculously cool for when i'm travelling.

The reason i'm doing this is also because i've purchased apple care+ for the new iPad, so if I do drop it, it will only cost me $49 to repair... I can live with that, and I loooooooove how the iPad feels without a case on it! I'm always so envious of people who have the guts not to use cases.

----------

I usually like to support smaller companies when it comes to accessories... anyone know of a sleeve type similar to the maki sleeve http://goincase.com/products/detail/maki-sleeve-cl57994/2

Ideally needs to be lightweight and slim with no zippers or velcro

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Great thread! Last time around I went with GhostArmor on the back and a Smart Cover. This time around I'm in the market for a more complete solution:

• Front & Back Protection
  • "Smart"
  • Not too much weight or bulk added
  • Something that looks classic - maybe leather

Can't wait to see what companies come up with. I know they're scrambling right now!

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
But i'm thinking with the new iPad of going naked :eek:
I'm so neurotic when it comes to my apple stuff, always afraid of breaking it and losing hundreds of dollars. But i think im going to stick with the smart cover over and the maki sleeve http://goincase.com/products/detail/maki-sleeve-cl57994/2 which looks ridiculously cool for when i'm travelling.

Does that sleeve fit the new iPad though? I think you should wait.

nd3eb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yea that's what I'm thinking... It fits the iPad 2 with smart cover do it would definitely fit the new iPad without smart cover (since the addition of a smart cover probably adds as much to the thickness of an iPad 2 as the new iPad is) but I do want a smart cover. I'll prob just wait a little while to see what ppl come up with

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
RadTech who is one of their authorized dealers has already put up pre-orders. The price of the case is $39.99, which is cheaper than the Skinny 2 (which was $49.99). The expected shipping date looks to be March 28.

You can check them out here.

Thanks for this info and link...gonna put a pre order in now :D

Hopefully I can find something locally on launch weekend to hold me over until this ships out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.