Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:30 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

RadioShack Offering Pre-Orders for New iPad via $50 Gift Card Purchase

RadioShack today announced that it has begun taking pre-orders for the new iPad, with availability set for Friday, March 16. RadioShack's pre-ordering method requires customers to purchase a $50 gift card that can then be applied to final purchase once the device launches.
Quote:
Following yesterday's exciting announcement of the new iPad, I'm writing to let you know RadioShack will start selling the hot new tablet on Friday, March 16.

Starting today, the new iPad will also be available for pre-order by purchasing a $50 RadioShack gift card that can be used toward the final purchase.
RadioShack is also touting its Trade & Save program, which will offer users store credit of up to $350 for an iPad 2 or up to $175 for an original iPad. The credit can be applied to the purchase of a new iPad or any other product. Customers applying the trade-in credit to the purchase of a third-generation iPad or iPad 2 will also receive an additional $50 mail-in rebate.

The company also notes that it is one of the few retailers that will offer AppleCare+ alongside the new iPad, simplifying the purchase and registration process for Apple's new extended warranty program with accidental damage coverage. According to RadioShack, it will join Apple, Target, and Apple's partner mobile phone carriers as the only U.S. retailers to offer AppleCare+ for iPad.

Article Link: RadioShack Offering Pre-Orders for New iPad via $50 Gift Card Purchase
MacRumors is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:38 PM   #2
nagromme
macrumors G5

Just so long as the card is returnable for full refund, if you give up or buy one elsewhere.

I had to buy a $100 gift card to reserve my iPad 2 at Best Buy last year—which I only did because they made up a complete fiction about mine already being en route in the next few days’ shipments. Not true—they didn’t even HAVE shipments scheduled to arrive--but weeks later I was able to return the card for full refund and order my iPad online. (They wanted to give me $100 cash, though, instead of putting it back on my credit card.)

Bottom line... check the details, and don’t trust what salespeople (phone or in person) tell you: they may want the commission, or they may simply want you out of their hair quickly. I don’t think Best Buy was trying to scam me by saying my iPad was definitely coming in a two days. I think the specific person I was talking to just said that as the quickest way to make me go away and become some other Best Buy rep’s problem another day.
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 01:07 PM   #3
ugp
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ugp Send a message via Yahoo to ugp Send a message via Skype™ to ugp
Stick with pre-ordering from Apple. Their iPhone 4 pre-orders were a complete disaster.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 01:14 PM   #4
KingFudd
macrumors newbie

I am a Radio Shack employee, and I will just tell some of my experiences with the 4S launch. This in no way indicates it will be the same with the this iPad launch. Everyone who preordered at my store (about 15-20) had one on launch day no matter what size/color they preordered. I'm sure not every store was this way. The $50 gift card was nonrefundable (most likely the same case here). There were no lines at all because RS stores tend to not be crowded. Yes you can get more by trading your previous generation on Craigslist/Ebay. However, you would be surprised how many people just put their old devices in the drawer and just let them sit there. (Don't bash me for being a RS employee; I'm just working my way through college).

Last edited by KingFudd; Mar 8, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
KingFudd is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Ashyukun
macrumors 6502

I hope that this is indicative of BestBuy getting them on launch day as well- I've got a lot of BB gift cards built up from CC rewards/Christmas and haven't had anything really to use them on yet, so knocking the price of a new iPad down a modest bit would be nice. If they do, I'll likely just have to wait in line and take my chances since I'm on the road and won't be home to have one shipped via pre-order on launch day...
Ashyukun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 01:29 PM   #6
deeddawg
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugp View Post
Stick with pre-ordering from Apple.
I agree - stick with Apple if possible. However some folks are unable to take delivery on the 16th. Not everyone can receive personal packages at work, take the day off, or work from home. As to comparing vs Apple store pick up, many people live far closer to a Radio Shack than an Apple store.

Not to defend RS, but there are reasons people would want to not go with Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFudd View Post
I am a Radio Shack employee, [...] (Don't bash me for being a RS employee; I'm just working my way through college).
Ha. You make it sound like you're doing pr0n flicks or something.
deeddawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 06:21 AM   #7
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
I had to buy a $100 gift card to reserve my iPad 2 at Best Buy last year—which I only did because they made up a complete fiction about mine already being en route in the next few days’ shipments. Not true—they didn’t even HAVE shipments scheduled to arrive--but weeks later I was able to return the card for full refund and order my iPad online. (They wanted to give me $100 cash, though, instead of putting it back on my credit card.)
I thought that would be illegal? To prevent someone from stealing a credit card, buying stuff, and then returning it for cash.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 01:50 PM   #8
mikefj2004
macrumors member

Radio Shack is still relevant?

Of all places I could ever imagine going to buy my new iPad, RS is the last place to get anything from. Now I live in NYC so I have every option imaginable to me to get my new iPad but RS is definitely not one. I remember when I went to buy my iPhone 4 there a sales associate told me I had to buy their warranty in order to get the product. I called corporate and they told me they were receiving several calls of this happening in many of their stores and that this was against store policy and against the law in NY. So with this info handy, I pretty much went back to the store and made the associate feel stupid. I got my item without the forceable warranty. One thing that's good with RS, depending on your location is that because they've become so irrelevant in the electronic world, they are likely to have the new iPad in stock as no one would ever think of going there to buy one. Just don't let them bully you into buying their warranty or any warranty if you don't want one especially if you live in NYC.
mikefj2004 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 03:06 PM   #9
ChristIsLORD
macrumors member

Be advised: I went to two stores to check this out and they only reserve the WiFi models, they don't have SKUs for the 4G
ChristIsLORD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 03:44 PM   #10
yashi
macrumors member

I preordered something from RadioShack a couple years ago that required me to buy a $50 gift card, and I never even received a notice that it was ever available to pick up.
yashi is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 03:54 PM   #11
badmac78
macrumors 6502

Thumbs down Wi-Fi Only available for pre-order at Radio Shack

Went to the local Radioshack after reading this. They only have the Wi-Fi models available for pre-order.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:44 PM   #12
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

I only want a WiFi anyway, so the Shack might be an option. But that credit of "up to $350" for the old iPad probably means that that top-of-the-line 3G version would get the top price.

There's another option (but not as good a deal as the Shack's): when no one else in the area had an iPad 2, I walked into my local WalMart and picked one up.
jayducharme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:55 AM   #13
toddybody

IMHO, if you couldnt get a pre-order...check out Walmart.

I missed out on launch day pre-order's for the iPad 2...and scoped out my local Walmart (who was supposed to have them). The launch was at 5pm, got there at 4:30pm. 4th in line at the electronics dept, line went to ~16 by 5pm...they had 25 iPad 2s.
toddybody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:46 AM   #14
chrismaddern
macrumors newbie

Just a heads up - you can't buy the new iPad from Radio Shack unless you are willing to buy an accessory too!

http://iphoneappcafe.com/radio-shack...t-accessories/

Last edited by chrismaddern; Mar 16, 2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: typo
chrismaddern is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion