Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:49 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Share Price Hits $600, Just One Month After Hitting $500

Apple's share price touched the $600 mark as trading opened this morning, just a month after reaching $500/share for the first time. The stock has, however, pulled back slightly since the open and now sits at $594.

The stock price has been on a tear ever since Apple reported blowout earnings for the first fiscal quarter of 2012, rising nearly $180/share, or close to 40%, in under two months.

At the end of February, Apple broke through the important psychological barrier of $500 billion in market capitalization. Apple is the most valuable publicly traded company in the world, worth nearly $560 billion, more than $150 billion higher than second-place ExxonMobil.

Apple is now within $50 billion of claiming the "most valuable publicly traded company ever" title. According to the S&P, Microsoft had a peak market cap of $604 billion during the dot-com boom in December 1999. Adjusted for inflation, Microsoft was worth $813.42 billion in January 2012 dollars at its peak, and Apple would have to reach $873/share to surpass that total.

Article Link: Apple Share Price Hits $600, Just One Month After Hitting $500
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:50 AM   #2
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

I'm still kicking myself for not buying stock when it was less than $200 ...
r.j.s is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Lordskelic
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Lordskelic Send a message via Skype™ to Lordskelic
If only I had invested in Apple back in the 80's.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:01 AM   #4
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordskelic View Post
I believe Misrosoft's $150,000,000 purchase of Apple stock back in the mid '90s was at about $10 per share.
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:17 AM   #5
CAgremlin
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordskelic View Post
Welp, I did, and my return is now north of 17,000 percent!
CAgremlin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:51 AM   #6
nfl46
macrumors 601

Impressive.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Banned

What goes up must come down.
314631 is offline   -17 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:52 AM   #8
d0vr
macrumors 6502a

Surely this will have to crash at some point... no offense to Apple but this seems almost too high.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

Imagine how high it would be if the iPad 3 hadn't been so disappointing
Stetrain is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

I'm still kicking myself for not buying stock when it was $15.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:56 AM   #11
Madhawk
macrumors regular

Anyone got a time machine? Would love to go back a few years...
Madhawk is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:02 AM   #12
xinu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser Evets View Post
Buy NOKIA now, it is 5 dollars.

I will.
xinu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:50 PM   #13
gatortpk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser Evets View Post
I remember when Apple stock was less than $4 in 1997. It's over 15,000% higher less than 15 years later.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:30 AM   #14
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

nm

Last edited by noisycats; Mar 15, 2012 at 09:36 AM.
noisycats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:06 AM   #15
lightmyway
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdover View Post
Surely this will have to crash at some point... no offense to Apple but this seems almost too high.
At some point its growth will slow. There might even be a big dip if there is a scare and the amateur investors bail. But AAPL is positioned for continued growth over the next few years, and then either a long time of stability before decline, or continued growth because of some innovation from the soul of Jonny Ive & Co.
lightmyway is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:40 AM   #16
d0vr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightmyway View Post
At some point its growth will slow. There might even be a big dip if there is a scare and the amateur investors bail. But AAPL is positioned for continued growth over the next few years, and then either a long time of stability before decline, or continued growth because of some innovation from the soul of Jonny Ive & Co.
Let me rephrase, at the very least, now is not the time to invest in AAPL stock. That time passed 10/20 years ago (or a month ago if you have a very large sum of money - aka, you're not an amateur investor).
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:44 AM   #17
Earendil
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdover View Post
But it doesn't have to "crash". It can slowly and heathily go down as Apple over time isn't hitting so many home runs. It won't "crash" though, because Apple isn't likely to have its next 4 products flop. Eventually Apple will release a dud, and the market will drop a bit until they release another great product. But remember that almost all the same designers, engineers, managers, and movers that gave us the products of the last 5 years, will continue to work at apple for the next 5. Things won't die quickly even if they do. See Microsoft, it doesn't matter how many times they fail, they are still around.

"ooo! They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer J. Simpson
Earendil is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:50 AM   #18
xinu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earendil View Post
But it doesn't have to "crash". It can slowly and heathily go down as Apple over time isn't hitting so many home runs. It won't "crash" though, because Apple isn't likely to have its next 4 products flop. Eventually Apple will release a dud, and the market will drop a bit until they release another great product. But remember that almost all the same designers, engineers, managers, and movers that gave us the products of the last 5 years, will continue to work at apple for the next 5. Things won't die quickly even if they do. See Microsoft, it doesn't matter how many times they fail, they are still around.
But Apples Total Equity is quite small.

And if economy crashes, Apple loses 80% of its value immediately.

IBM wont. Like it didnt with when Lehman Brothers fcked up everything.
xinu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:55 AM   #19
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earendil View Post
It can slow down, but that clearly isn't how the average bandwagoner sees Apple in their myopic view. They'll react far after the fact... They're not even seeing the signs right now, such as the 3 million unit shortfall on iPhone 4S sales last year, or the depletion of $760 million in warranty reserves (almost the entire bucket) from the iPhone 4's antenna gate issues among other things. Not a huge amount, but the fact that I got down voted in another thread for pointing this out suggests to me that people generally don't read the fine print in the back of the annual reports).

The bell curve of investor awareness is such that the majority will not adjust slowly in this case because Apple has umpteen zillion speculators riding it like it's the only thing out there... because they don't do their homework. If they did, they wouldn't bat an eye over Apple.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:53 AM   #20
G4DP
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurichie View Post
Hopefully it won't be with the normal thump. To big a drop and the big investors will get spooked.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:53 AM   #21
bbeagle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurichie View Post
A company's value has nothing to do with gravity.
bbeagle is offline   49 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:00 AM   #22
ganymedes13
macrumors member

I'm just saying thanks to Apple. After the iPhone announcement in 2007 I put my life savings into AAPL. Any spare money I had, I put into the stock. I now have 4x the original amount I started with and we haven't even begun to see the full effect of the iPad.
ganymedes13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:04 AM   #23
sparks05
macrumors member

Law of large numbers?

What happened to the Law of Large Numbers that Apple was talking about at the 300 billion market cap mark?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:10 AM   #24
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganymedes13 View Post
I'm just saying thanks to Apple. After the iPhone announcement in 2007 I put my life savings into AAPL. Any spare money I had, I put into the stock. I now have 4x the original amount I started with and we haven't even begun to see the full effect of the iPad.
It would be a good time to take your lucky winnings out and diversify into longer term investments. Even the inflated analyst estimates are being surpassed at this point. I've stood where you stand... and it's a very precarious position to be standing in.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:39 AM   #25
Claudiob1
macrumors newbie

I am so stresses and hard on myself....

I too have always believed in apple, against everyone's negative comment, but always afraid to invest big because of it too. I had access to family savings to mange and invest if I choose, and did not. If only I did, today my life would have changed for good. So everyday I am both happy to see how the underdog of yesterday is shutting everyone who has something bad about the company and sad, because I was to afraid to dive in myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganymedes13 View Post
Claudiob1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion