Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannystro527

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Okay, hopefully, someone on this forum who reads this will be able to come up with some sort of solution to this horrible problem. It's a long story so bare with me (I'll put a tl;dr at the end for some of the lazy people) :p

Okay, fiancee bought an iPhone 4 from craigslist, no problems, phone worked fine, just no warranty (duh, secondhand.) But, she decided to take the otterbox off for a while, and wouldn't you know it, she drops it and the screen cracks. So we order a replacement screen (LCD and Digitizer) i replace it, and the everything works, except there was no picture on the screen, just could see the backlight. So i google around, saw some people fixed this problem with a restore. So, one attempt later, the restore fails. Great, bricked phone and screen doesn't work. Thinking the screen was bad because it was so cheap, we buy another, and i install this one. Here's where the problem is:

The screen is installed properly, the phone just refuses to restore to ANY form of iOS, no matter what sort of methods I try. I've tried 4.2.1 custom IPSW, 4.3.3, 4.3.5, 5.0.1, and even a clean update restore to 5.1, all also with many different methods (TinyUmbrella TSS server, erased all apple references in the hosts file, used itunes 10.2, 10.3, 10.5, and 10.6) and I've run dry on ideas.

Yes, I've put the phone in Pwned DFU mode (at least i believe, iREB and sn0wbreeze both say it went in successfully) iTunes shows a recovery device, shift+restore, and sometimes it's an error 11, error 2005, 3194 shows up sometimes but that's if i uninstall and reinstall itunes from it putting the apple addresses in the hosts file. It seems as if there's no OS on the device at all, and iTunes just recognizes it as a recovery device. The phone has never been jailbroken or unlocked.

tl;dr: iPhone will not restore, originally had 5.0.1, not sure of the baseband. HELP?! :confused:

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
IF the phone has never been jailbroken, how are you expecting to restore to anything less than 5.0.1. Also, you don't have the blobs. Anyway, put your phone in DFU mode and restore.

dannystro527

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
IF the phone has never been jailbroken, how are you expecting to restore to anything less than 5.0.1. Also, you don't have the blobs. Anyway, put your phone in DFU mode and restore.

Did you read my post at all? It says I've tried DFU mode, with every type of iOS I've listed above. Not trying to be a dick, but simply just DFU mode isn't cutting it.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Did you read my post at all? It says I've tried DFU mode, with every type of iOS I've listed above. Not trying to be a dick, but simply just DFU mode isn't cutting it.

I read your friggin' post. Notwithstanding it's a tl;dr whine, your only hope is what I friggin' stated.

However, I'm new to the iPhone, so I could be wrong. Some of the people in this forum.:rolleyes:

EDit: I read your OP, yet again: Obviously, you know all about what to do, since your using sn0wbreeze, etc. GLWT.

dannystro527

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
just bumping, does no one know of a fix for this, or even a possible one? it's really a bothersome one! I got it to kick out of recovery somehow after a restore once, and the backlight would come one, but no picture on the screen, but still heard sound.. couldn't tell ya how I pulled it off though.

edit: sitting here in class, I was browsing the web and saw that there is supposed to be a small foam strip that covers the ambient light sensor, and now that i remember, i clearly the other day while putting the phone back together a straight black strip, like the one mentioned here: http://www.beijingiphonerepair.com/...sor-not-working-after-screen-replacement-fix/

now that i think of it, my problem most likely is not the screen, it must be that the iPhone itself, and the iOS that WAS installed on it must now be corrupt somehow, or something along those lines. I am in desperate need of a fix haha, i bought her a replacement off of a friend, but I want to fix this sick pink one for her hahaha, then I can replace my 3GS with the black 4 she has now... mwahahahaha

Last edited:

bugsysiegals

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2012
Not sure of a fix but if you find one let me know.

I borrowed a friends 3G the other year right before the 4 came out because I knew it was going to be released and wanted to sell my 3GS for good money. Needless to say his 3G had a cracked glass and I wanted to replace it for his troubles. I also bought a new battery for it and resoldered that in there. After all the trouble of tearing apart and reassembling it was stuck in recovery mode and I couldn't get any firmwares to go back on it.

It's now sitting there with the other pile of IT stuff. So I basically wasted $100 on that new screen. I'd love to figure out how to get it going again.

delante raum

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
replacing my screen

my screen had a bad crack in it, verizon iphone 4, and i switched it with a new screen, i put everything back correclty, i turn the phone on and its a white screen, i can hear phone calls, texts, etc. is the lcd or digitizer messed up? am i suppose to plug it up to the computer to restore it? need help soon as possible

gvegastiger

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
I have a similar issue. Installed a new screen on my 4, and the backlight comes on but nothing else. iTunes recognizes it and even syncs it, but can't get anything to display on the screen. It's just a backlit blackness.

I think I got a dud screen, but am not sure. Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.