Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Hey everyone, I'm looking on eBay at a PowerMac G5 that is pick-up only, and is over 300 miles from me. So I messaged them and asked if I could arrange my own courier, they said okay, we'll pack it up for you. So I looked at getting a quote on Parcel2Go (UK BTW...) and the cheapest price is £60?! (via Yodel)

Surely that can't be right...

If someone has shipped a desktop Mac before can you give me an idea on how much it'll cost.

Cheers guys

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Hey everyone, I'm looking on eBay at a PowerMac G5 that is pick-up only, and is over 300 miles from me. So I messaged them and asked if I could arrange my own courier, they said okay, we'll pack it up for you. So I looked at getting a quote on Parcel2Go (UK BTW...) and the cheapest price is £60?! (via Yodel)

Surely that can't be right...

If someone has shipped a desktop Mac before can you give me an idea on how much it'll cost.

Cheers guys

Because they are huge, and weigh 50 pounds?

drorpheus

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2010
I've sent/gotten a bunch, it'll pretty much be billed at 50lbs and the box that fits it is roughly 24.5in (L) X 24.5in (W) X 14.5in (H) in size, in the US its about $40-$60, FEDEX is usually $40-$50 and UPS is usually higher like $55-$65. I would assume FEDEX and UPS would be an arm and a leg in the UK maybe not since its not leaving the country, I know DHL handles a large portion of parcels. The Royal Mail would probably be expensive do to the size and weight, but I don't know.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Well I've just got a quote from the Royal Mail, the cheapest service they do is ''standard parcels'', which is non urgent, low insurance, 3-5 working days. It'd cost me £20. Thanks for the help given everyone, appreciate it :)

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Well I've just got a quote from the Royal Mail, the cheapest service they do is ''standard parcels'', which is non urgent, low insurance, 3-5 working days. It'd cost me £20. Thanks for the help given everyone, appreciate it :)

What does that work out to in USD? Like 40? About the same price to ship one here with the USPS. Not to bad on price.

mac57

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
Texas
What is costs to ship really depends on the seller. Sometimes they charge a little more, including some or all of the shipping in the sale price. As a result, you can get really good deals on the shipping. Whether you got a good deal on the machine is up to your perspective!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.