Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xelaetaks

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Was just thinking - what do you guys think the iPad 4 might bring?

I'm actually asking cause from using the iPad 3 I can't see them topping the retina display. As an iPad 2 owner now having upgraded to the iPad 3 I can definetely tell the screen is way crisper.

Do you think the iPad 4 will bring something new to the table or a new design maybe?

Even tho it's a year away it could be fun to speculate. Just wondering what people think. :apple:

ano0oj

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
Wow. Just enjoy your 3 dude, the thought of the 4th hasn't even crossed my mind.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
New form factor and more of an OS X style OS.

Senseg's texture touch screen technology would be amazing, but unlikely.

WhoAmI2

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
They need to fix the overheating issue as top priority.

Over heating issue? There is just a heating up issue (which isn't an issue, it's normal for electronics) not an OVER heating issue.

For OP, get a hobby the i3 just came out a week ago.

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
Overheating issue = myth

Anyways. I hope iPad 4 brings thunderbolt. That would be incredible

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The iPad 4th Generation? I'm just enjoying my new 3rd Generation for now. Apple will come up with more than just FT HD and a better CPU I think...They will wait and see what the DEVS get up to with this new hardware, and most particularly, the Retina display.

IT Troll

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
I think we will only see small incremental upgrades from now on; hence the dropping of the numeral. A quad core processor is the next obvious upgrade, but this is only going to mean more battery and heat which people are already complaining about. However I am not sure what use quad core would be unless iOS 6 brings true multitasking.

ElCidRo

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
- slimmer, lighter, smaller form factor @ the same 10 hour battery life
- quad core CPU & improved GPU - twice overall performance
- FaceTime HD camera
- Siri on the software side
- 16, 32, 64 and a new 128GB option (I think they will keep the 16GB too)

Nothing groundbreaking - but a good enough upgrade to the 30 million iPad 3rd gen sold :)

You can quote me on this.

Ztormie

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009
Why do you guys always bitch and moan when someone speculates about the future? I thought that that was the purpose of Macrumors. Asking about what the 2015 iPad might bring would be over the top, but what is wrong with thinking about the next generation when the newest iPad isn't a mystery anymore?

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Why do you guys always bitch and moan when someone speculates about the future? I thought that that was the purpose of Macrumors. Asking about what the 2015 iPad might bring would be over the top, but what is wrong with thinking about the next generation when the newest iPad isn't a mystery anymore?

What will the iPad 12 bring? Just sitting here thinking about the future and what it may hold for apple products. See it doesnt make sense asking about the 12version and with a year to go it doesn't make sense to ask a out the 4 version.

After WWDC then I can see starting the rumor mill up as we'll have a better idea of where iOS is going. Until then. These threads need to be thrown in the wasteland.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
- slimmer, lighter, smaller form factor @ the same 10 hour battery life
- quad core CPU & improved GPU - twice overall performance
- FaceTime HD camera
- Siri on the software side
- 16, 32, 64 and a new 128GB option (I think they will keep the 16GB too)

Nothing groundbreaking - but a good enough upgrade to the 30 million iPad 3rd gen sold :)

You can quote me on this.

This is probably about right. Maybe they'll find some way to up the battery life with the better power management of the new CPU.

Hardware upgrades are what the general public focuses on, but to be honest, it's the software updates that interest me more. The real significant innovations that revolutionize the way we use these things will be mostly in software, not hardware.

ABadSanta

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
Why are we talking about the the next iPad???

Enjoy the current one people! I'm so tired of rumors and speculation. If I wanted to read about rumors all day I'd pick up a copy of the National Enquirer.

ElCidRo

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
This is probably about right. Maybe they'll find some way to up the battery life with the better power management of the new CPU.

Hardware upgrades are what the general public focuses on, but to be honest, it's the software updates that interest me more. The real significant innovations that revolutionize the way we use these things will be mostly in software, not hardware.

I agree! This was my only disappointment with the last iPad event. No new iOS news. iPhoto is pretty sweet - but I really wish iOS would use the iPad's large screen in a better way.

Alexjones

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
I heard the IPad 4 will have an on/off indicator module.. I am so excited.

Last edited:

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
They need to fix the battery life and heat issues... Also bring down the weight to something managable

8-10+ hours of battery isn't good enough for you? There are no heat issues. The fact that it gets a little warmer than the iPad 2 doesn't mean there is an issue. It just means its like any other electronic device and puts off a little heat. It's not burning anyone or setting cases on fire.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
  • iPad
  • iPad 2
  • the new iPad
  • the newest iPad

nah it will be "the Newer iPad" that way Apple can prep for one more iPad and call it the newest iPad before thinking of other names like the iPad Lite or something

lapino

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
8-10+ hours of battery isn't good enough for you? There are no heat issues. The fact that it gets a little warmer than the iPad 2 doesn't mean there is an issue. It just means its like any other electronic device and puts off a little heat. It's not burning anyone or setting cases on fire.

i too notice the warmer ipad, especially since I use it several hours a day for surfing, mailing, reading. It's not hot as in too hot to hold, but definitely noticeable. I do find it kinda annoying since the ipad is a device you hold in your hands and the warmth gets me sweaty, uncomfortable hands. Ipad2 never did this. But I understand why it heats up and wouldn't want to go back to non-retina no matter what.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.