Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NSiebenmor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Savannah GA
Has anyone had a problem opening their cd tray on there powermac G5. I just bought a dual 2.0 with Tiger. It has happened several times, I press the eject button and there is no eject symbol on the screen and the tray won't open. I then try to press the eject button in itunes and itunes crashes. Do you think this is a Tiger bug? I have to restart my computer to get the eject button to work again. I'd appreciate any help. thanks
Nick

Ryan T.

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2005
Rochester, NY
NSiebenmor said:
Has anyone had a problem opening their cd tray on there powermac G5. I just bought a dual 2.0 with Tiger. It has happened several times, I press the eject button and there is no eject symbol on the screen and the tray won't open. I then try to press the eject button in itunes and itunes crashes. Do you think this is a Tiger bug? I have to restart my computer to get the eject button to work again. I'd appreciate any help. thanks
Nick
Is there a CD in the drive? You're probably accessing it which is why it won't eject. Drag the CD on the desktop to the trash to eject the disc.

diddy

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Totally happened to me. I think Ryan is right. If all else fails, move the case drive cover down with your fingers and pop it open with a paperclip.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
If you have anything on the CD "in use" the CD won't eject.

If you need to work with something on the CD, you just drag /copy that file to your desktop, then you should be able to eject the CD.

Sometimes you may need to force quit whatever you've got running or drag the CD image to trash.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I had this problem with a CD that my G5 couldn't read. It's really bad design on Apple's part for this to be a possibility. Making the drive eject entirely software controlled is OK, but if you're going to do that, there shouldn't be any way for it to not work, no matter what's in the drive. In order to solve the problem, I had to use a paperclip in the hole in the drive. The eject button, and the "hold mouse down on startup" trick didn't work.

NSiebenmor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Savannah GA
It's a new G5 and it does work except after I leave it in sleep mode. When I wake it up sometimes the eject button doesn't respond. I have to restart the computer to get it to work. I've talked to tech support and they're no help. I also have problems getting online when it comes out of sleep mode, again tech support didn't have a solution.

NSiebenmor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Savannah GA
This computer is awesome when it's running smoothly, but I feel like these little crashes shouldn't be happening and they piss me off. Does anyone think this is a software or hardware problem? Like I wrote before, everything works but there are these occasional crashes. I have reinstalled tiger and researched on the problems I'm having but no one else seems to have had the same problems. So I don't know if I should just live with it and keep restarting my computer when it happens or something else, which I don't know what considering tech support can't figure it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.