Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Daily spoke with Five Star Institute's Mark Hulme who is producing the upcoming Steve Jobs film that is starring Ashton Kutcher. Hulme reports that Kutcher is "pouring himself" into the role and "believes the role was meant for him".
"He is already meeting with folks that knew Steve Jobs. He's working with professionals to get inside the voice. He's letting his hair grow out. I understand he's canceled all meetings and actually canceled all other projects,"
The news of Kutcher in the role of Steve Jobs was met with mixed reactions, but Hulme is confident in Kutcher's abilities as well as his personal interest in the role.

040312-gossip-ashton-kutcher-1-ss-662w-at-1x-500x395.jpg

Steve Jobs (left) and Ashton Kutcher (right)​
This film about Steve Jobs was reportedly in the works prior to Steve Jobs' death and before Walter Isaacson's Jobs biography was published. Sony purchased the rights to Isaacson's biography and is working on their own film about Steve Jobs.

Kutcher's film is set to start filming next month for release by Thanksgiving of this year. The focus will be on Steve Jobs' earlier life.
"We decided between 1971, the initial partnership of Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs, is where we would start and then the bulk of the script remains in the early years of Apple and the recruiting of [former Apple CEO] John Sculley from Pepsi and then of course Jobs' ousting and a smaller portion is his triumph and his return," Hulme said.
Jobs' earlier life and early days at Apple have been previously covered in other films such as Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Meanwhile, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak appears to be happy with the decision to cast Kutcher:
The fear that many might have is that Ashton was selected because he's 'hot' right now. But I feel that his selection was done in the most professional manner. And I'm glad that he's onboard. I think he'll put a lot into it and that he cares about this particular subject.

Article Link: Ashton Kutcher Believes Steve Jobs Role Meant for Him

laserbeam273

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Australia
It will work for the 70s and 80s Steve. Not sure sure about the 90s and beyond.

Yeah they'll have to do some serious ageing tricks.. will be interesting to see. Can't say whether I think Kutcher will do a good job or not. I'm confident that he can do more than just That 70's Show style humour, but acting as Steve Jobs... ? That's a challenge.

bghx

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2012
A bigger challenge beckons: finding someone to play Wozniak. His looks are one-of-a-kind, as is his genius

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
A scary look alike.

I still have no idea what programmes Ashton has been on. The only thing I know him for is the race to 1 million followers on Twitter.

Michael Moore to play Woz. Nahh, just kidding.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Well .. obviously twins from different mom .. and dad :D

But Ashton need to be thinned out a bit for the role, maybe 2 3 months diet would help. Ashton's jaw .. is just a bit too big. Maybe Steve's eyes is a bit bigger, but a good makeup artist can handle it. Other than that, they're perfectly twin.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Same humble Ashton as always.
Yeah, and Steve Jobs was just as "humble." All I can think of was how people underestimated Heath Ledger for the role as The Joker. Turned out quite a surprise. I think Ashton "might" pull it off too but nothing to bet the entire mortgage on.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
It will still be crap as it's a film and as such will be fake and false, it will never match the SENNA film because of this no matter what Hollywood tries to do with it!
If they want to tell Steve's story then they should make it the way as SENNA was with videos and interviews of the man and his friends and his businesses! Not some fake glorified 'story'.

Fazzy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
check the tracking device
It will still be crap as it's a film and as such will be fake and false, it will never match the SENNA film because of this no matter what Hollywood tries to do with it!
If they want to tell Steve's story then they should make it the way as SENNA was with videos and interviews of the man and his friends and his businesses! Not some fake glorified 'story'.

Whereas there was more footage of Senna due to his career, Jobs was more of a private guy then Senna in terms of his job, so that technique may not have the same effect as it did with SENNA

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007

That would be a documentary not a movie.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
In addition to this movie, I want to see the movie of "Pirates of Silicon Valley 2 The Wrath of Jobs". That movie needs a sequel to tell the entire story.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
This is just wrong. A silly punked character skilled in TV comedy to play the role of a very complex personality rising from rebel to one of the most successful entrepreneurs and showmen of all time.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
It's rather fascinating that Ashton Kutcher is famous at all. He's a completely talentless idiot.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
That would be a documentary not a movie.

You may think that, however if you watch SENNA you will see it as a story and not a documentary, a 'film' about Jobs will be crap end off, it will be fake, acting, as for Jobs being a private guy, I'm sure they could do something to make a film, interviews with friends and workers would do.
But this is Hollywood, the place that struggles to come up with any original content for anything so just rehashes stuff daily. Yeah, Total Recall, wow.... etc etc etc etc etc

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted

He may look alike... But with the roles hes played in the past not getting out of my head. How can u take him seriously? I mean "dude, wheres my car?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.