Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Considering getting either an iPad, preferably the iPad 3, but the price put's me off a bit. I have an Android phone, and I love Android, so I'd get an Android tablet instead. However I have a Mac, so an iPad would go hand in hand with each other. Then again, the specs of the iPad 3 aren't too different from many Android tablets, and they're cheaper. But then there's more 'commercial' apps for the iPad, than there are for Android.

I'd want to use a tablet for Word processing, I use Office on my Mac currently. Also, I'd want music on it, and I've read you can sync iTunes with Android via Winamp. And finally, I'd like to have Photoshop Touch, for on the go image editing, as well as Adobe Ideas... mainly because I'm not too good on Illustrator, and that would help a bit for vectors.

Obviously this is an Apple forum, so am gonna expect people to say the iPad outright, but from what I want to use it for, what would you say I go for?

Also, for either tablet should I go for wifi or 3G/4G? Or should I just tether from my phone?

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
The first specific use you mentioning is word processing, often meaning it's most important to you. Word processing on any tablet sucks. File compatability, features, typing, it all sucks, it's only good for occasional emergency use or very non-demanding formatting. Music is just as good on a phone as a tablet, better as phones are more portable. iPads are great for lots of things, but my advice for you: don't waste your money on any tablet.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Well, like you said, this is an Apple forum so you are going to get biased responses.

I have zero experience with Android tablets, so I can't make an honest comparison to the iPad. My fiancée has an Android phone that is a huge piece of crap, just like the one she had before that, but it could be the hardware and not the software.

As for the iPad, you can pretty much do everything you mentioned on it. There is Pages for iOS that you can use for word processing, and I heard rumors of Microsoft working on an iOS version of their Office suite. Music, of course, works seamlessly with iTunes, and you can spring for iTunes Match if you want to be able to stream your entire music library from anywhere you can get a data connection. The new iPhoto for iOS is pretty awesome, but there are some issues with your edits syncing back to your main iPhoto library. I assume that will all be worked out with Mountain Lion, though. For graphics work, you're going to want to use a computer and not a tablet.

Even if the specs are similar, I'd have to say that the biggest draw of an iOS device is the App Store. The Android app store pales in comparison to the quality of the apps you can get for the iPad.

LTE vs Wifi is something that you need to determine based on how and where you think you'll mostly be using your iPad. I went with a WiFi only model and don't regret it because I really only use it when I have WiFi, and when I don't I'm reading or watching synced content anyway. I have an iPhone if I need to check email or look something up when I'm elsewhere. Other people like having the option to be connected from anywhere.

I'd say go to an Apple Store and play around with the new iPad. Then go find a place where you can play around with an Android tablet and see which one you prefer.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I don't think you do everything you listed on a tablet.

I agree with qtx...if you want to do word processing, get a laptop.

If price is a priority, get the iPad 2.

If image editing is important, then an iPad 3 or MacBook.

Good luck!

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
Considering getting either an iPad, preferably the iPad 3, but the price put's me off a bit. I have an Android phone, and I love Android, so I'd get an Android tablet instead. However I have a Mac, so an iPad would go hand in hand with each other. Then again, the specs of the iPad 3 aren't too different from many Android tablets, and they're cheaper. But then there's more 'commercial' apps for the iPad, than there are for Android.

I'd want to use a tablet for Word processing, I use Office on my Mac currently. Also, I'd want music on it, and I've read you can sync iTunes with Android via Winamp. And finally, I'd like to have Photoshop Touch, for on the go image editing, as well as Adobe Ideas... mainly because I'm not too good on Illustrator, and that would help a bit for vectors.

Obviously this is an Apple forum, so am gonna expect people to say the iPad outright, but from what I want to use it for, what would you say I go for?

Also, for either tablet should I go for wifi or 3G/4G? Or should I just tether from my phone?

1. If you want a general purpose premium tablet get the iPad
2. If you plan to do a lot off Office productivity get a netbook
3. If you want a tablet that will allow you to transfer files around on SD, with folders and file management get an Android tablet. iOS is quite locked down so you're paying big money for something you might find restrictive.

Decent tablet like the Prime & tab are OK but you're paying the same price as an iPad and missing out on a lot of iOS goodies.

Whatever you get be prepared to compromise because that dream, all in one, do everything tablet just doesn't exist.

FrenzyBanana

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
what android tablet are you referring?

ipad is the best partner for mac.
retina display for typing. IOS system. Plenty of useful and fun apps. icloud can also be useful.

Itunes for transfer/backup files.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011

i think the asus transformer prime is the closest competitor to the ipad. you'll save 100 dollars, if you can find one (they have been selling well, for an android tablet, and no one has them in stock). i found it to be great for word processing and music. i can't speak about image editing. i posted a thread with more details somewhere else on this forum.

anyways, you'll be giving up the retina display, and a much richer app market. i'd fork out the extra 100 dollars for the ipad 3 or go for a 16gb ipad (same price as transformer prime). if you are looking at less expensive tablets, i think you are wasting your time, unless all you want is email and web surfing (obviously, you are looking for more).

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
If you get an iPad and a camera connection kit (you can use it to hook up a USB keyboard), or even a bluetooth keyboard, you can type on the iPad easy enough. I'm just not sure how much Pages or some of the other inferior apps for word processing will suit your needs.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
The first specific use you mentioning is word processing, often meaning it's most important to you. Word processing on any tablet sucks. File compatability, features, typing, it all sucks, it's only good for occasional emergency use or very non-demanding formatting. Music is just as good on a phone as a tablet, better as phones are more portable. iPads are great for lots of things, but my advice for you: don't waste your money on any tablet.

Word Processing on a Transformer Prime, with the keyboard dock, is almost identical to doing same on a laptop. You even get a touchpad in that config. But by the time you spend that kind of cash, you can buy an 11" MBA netbook for an even better experience.

Personally, given your requirements, I'd say go with the MBA.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I would go with the iPad 2 refurb for $350 if moony is a concern.
It is way better then anything out there in the Android world for that price.
If that is too much cash then you need to wait till you can afford one because below that everything is garbage.
If you do have the cash then I would get the new iPad as there is nothing that compares from other manufactures at this point on the screen alone.
Android is a bag of hurt on tablets and many new ones still ship without the newest OS and with no guarantee that you will get the newest one after you buy.

Word processing can be done by all of them with some limitations but good enough for most things.
If you already have a Mac it is really a no brainer as everything will be working hand in hand.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Totally agree on the Prime. I think its the best non-iOS tablet on the market. That being said, I'd still get an iPad 2 over the Prime. They are the same price.

BTW, the Prime is getting a refresh this quarter...the Prime 700. It will have an improved 1900x1200 display. If you can wait, and you really want to get an Android, I'd give it a close look.

Here's a comparison. Look at the specs. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the conclusions since its a very pro Android site.
http://www.androidauthority.com/asu...-battle-of-the-high-resolution-tablets-64372/

If you really want to wait long, you can wait for a Microsoft tablet, which one could assume will work seamlessly with Word and Excel. But the waiting game can be said of just about anything. The iPad's are here, now, and a real piece of hardware.

Good luck.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
It mystifies me when people say they are going to do a lot of word processing on a tablet. What happens is they end up buying a keyboard for it and carry that around too -- usually in a special case that holds both the tablet and the keyboard together. In other words, they go to a lot of trouble and expense to essentially recreate an expensive, under powered netbook.

A quality Android tablet will cost you as much or sometimes even more than a comparable iPad--which is why I have a new iPad. That being said, Google has really come a long way since they launched the Xoom with Motorola. You can pretty much rent/purchase any movie, song or book on an Android tablet that you can on the iPad. Most of the core apps on the iPad are now also on Android, but not all are optimized for a tablet screen.

However, if you go Android wait for the models with the higher resolution screen. Most are stuck at 1280 x 800 or less right now. Personally, I like the option of purchasing a data plan if a need a particular month so I'd opt for an LTE capable tablet that offers a *prepaid* data option. Be careful, many Android tablets do not have a true prepaid option--even though you can pay full price and get one "off contract".

Very few people actually do "work" on any tablet. I know there are some who do, but its mostly for show. It's really still a big toy at this point.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England

Sorry, word processing isn't the most important. Image editing and stuff is. Especially Ideas. I'm not too hot on illustrator, but Ideas looks FAR easier for vector graphics than Illustrator. Word processing would only be for emergency stuff, i.e. when am on the train and stuff. I don't have any music on my phone at all. Well, I have one. But I never use it as an MP3 player or anything. I'd use an iPod for that.

I'd obviously put some games and stuff and that on. It's more for when am out and about, like if am going away for the weekend, or even abroad, I'd rather take a tablet instead of a full on laptop, or even a netbook. It's more convenient.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Word Processing on a Transformer Prime, with the keyboard dock, is almost identical to doing same on a laptop. You even get a touchpad in that config. But by the time you spend that kind of cash, you can buy an 11" MBA netbook for an even better experience.

Personally, given your requirements, I'd say go with the MBA.
That probably comes closest, I agree. But a full size keyboard is 285 mm from backquote to backspace. They say it has a full qwerty keyboard, but the total width of the device is 263 mm, the keyboard is slightly smaller than that. Touch typists or anybody with fat fingers need not apply. And it's only identical if you do only the most basic formatting, which admittedly some only need that. But our conclusion is the same.

Edit: word processing not important? well then, who cares? Dn't know anything about ideas.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA

This is something most of us have gone through. I've owned most every Android tablet as well as every iPad. I REALLY like Android but finding decent apps is like mushroom hunting, it's an adventure. The current spec leader for Android is the Asus Prime and based on my experience, it has some serious QC issues. The Sammy has better QC but still uses Tegra 2. Sony, Toshiba, Moto, Lenovo and Acer aren't worthy of consideration unless you're buying a refurb unit. Other than an iPad 3 what is a better choice?

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Ignore the haters. I had the iPad 1 and now I have the 3.

Pros: Display, performance, amazing battery life, build quality, apps, etc.

I tried out several Android tablets, and the best one is the Transformer Prime. Unfortunately, the Prime comes as close to the iPad as Gabe Newell comes to jumping.

Pros: Android? (IMO, con.)

Go for the iPad 3. Heat is an issue to 0.001% of the population, and most of the other issues are either imagined or miniscule.

Just look at the huge satisfaction ratings for the new iPad. Capitalism speaks for itself.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Stay away from the new ipad... Heat, screen and wifi issues

Get a 2 and save time and money
The OP was specifically asking about Android or iPad 3. If you're going to state how the iPad 2 will save time please explain, I'd like to hear. In terms of saving money yes, they'd be saving $100 on a tablet that's well over 1 year old.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
The New iPhoto App is pretty good for image editing. I don't know how it compares to what's available on Android but for $5.00 it's pretty good.

I don't do a lot of Word Processing but I do have the Zagg Folio case w/ built in Bluetooth keyboard. The keyboard is awesome and the case is the cleanest keyboard case I have found.

For an extra $80 this is a pretty good combination that I would prefer over any 'netbook' other than the 11" Macbook Air but for a lot less money.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
What you need is a laptop, not a tablet.

yeah, I have a MacBook Pro late 2011. I have all my graphic software on, but as I said, I wanted something I could carry around with me, that's more portable, and let's me carry on doing work, so i don't need to carry around my pro. i can't really do all the stuff on my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.