Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Camyuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
This probably explains my other request in this thread more fully. I'm not looking for a discussion on the merits of Mac v pc - I have a specific issue if I change from pc to Mac.

I've been editing video on pc's for well over a decade and used to a multiplicity of file types etc. The pc on which I'm typing this is 'life expired' and I have an opportunity to change to Mac but think I've hit a brick wall with file types which would keep me pc-based.

I'm fortunate enough to sell small quantites of video to a publisher. Since the advent of HD, they want video files supplied to them on a usb stick. They are pc-based as a business and have other contributors so I can't force them to go Mac, I have to fit in with them.

As they assemble footage from a number of sources, editing for me is a doddle, I simply stream the video from my camcorder onto my pc via firewire and it's stored on my pc hard drive as .m2t file type. I copy the file to my usb flash drive and post it to them. I don't need to edit anything.
They don't want edited footage as they will do it when combined into their process.

For MY OWN video jobs it's a different matter and I use various filetypes and am quite amenable to changing to a Mac.

Now here's where the problems arise. It seems to me that a Mac saves streamed data as .mov and getting it out of .mov format is the stumbling block as it's all proprietary code.

There seem to be any number of progs for sale that convert from one filetype to another and plenty of pc-filetypes can be converted TO .mov - converting FROM .mov seems to be whole different issue.

I currently use Sony Vegas on my pc. As I understand iMovie is much too basic for my needs so I'd be looking for something like Final Cut or at least something better than iMovie for my own productions.

However I'm gtting really stuck trying to find anything that will definitely convert .mov to .m2t - clearly spending £1.5k or more on a decent Mac isn't practical unless I'm sure I can get some workable fix.

Does anyone have any experience of this problem?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Do you mean .m2ts with ".m2t"?
If so, it is only a container for AVCHD footage (using some MPEG-4 codec like H.264) and for BluRay transport streams (MPEG-2).

Since you probably edit and shoot in HD (which camera, since HD cameras with Firewire are not that often available), you probably want to give an HD video to the publisher.
If that is the case, what do they do with the .mt2s or .mts file? Transcode or rewrap it? Maybe you can offer them an .mp4 file instead, using H.264 as codec (the same is probably used by your camcorder), as such an .mp4 file is compatible with Windows, even .mov files are.

Video Compression
Why It Matters & How To Make The Most Of It

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
I think it's clearly not the best time to move to Mac for professional video editing. Apple has no interest for this kind of clients. Final Cut Pro X is a fail and Mac Pros have not been updated since ages.

Your best bet I think is to use Adobe Premiere Pro which can handles a variety of formats and is available on Mac and PC.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Final Cut Pro X is a fail and Mac Pros have not been updated since ages.
In what way is FCP X a fail? It makes editing for amateurs easier and even professionals can work with it. It may not have the complexity of FCP 7, but it is a different approach to editing.
And the Mac Pro hasn't been updated since 2010 due to the Sandy Bridge Xeon E5 CPUs just having been released a month ago.

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
In what way is FCP X a fail? It makes editing for amateurs easier and even professionals can work with it. It may not have the complexity of FCP 7, but it is a different approach to editing.
And the Mac Pro hasn't been updated since 2010 due to the Sandy Bridge Xeon E5 CPUs just having been released a month ago.

It's kind of a iMovie 'Plus'. It doesn't respect the way professionals are working in. For exemple the magnetic timeline is a huge issue if you are outsourcing to a sound engineer or other third parties. Movies are made with many tracks since ages and this is the way everyone works. More and more professionals are moving to PP since FCPX has been released. At least they corrected their first attempt by adding the multi-camera feature and XML export. So I would say FCPX is OK for a one-man team but not for a team production workflow... I will stick with FCP7 for now but I know my next step will be Premiere Pro 6 (which is also named FCP8...).

Regarding the Mac Pro there are many threads running on this forum on this. Yes they have been waiting for the new Xeon cpus... since 2 years nothing has changed and pros can't just waiting without any clue if Apple will update or not.

kitsunestudios

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
Back to the subject, Adobe Media Compressor will export .m2t files. If you're working in Premiere or After Effects, that would be ideal, and it should compress directly from MOV. It can be purchased as a standalone, and is included in the CS 5.5 production bundle, along with Premiere Pro, After Effects, and the whole shebang.

Here's a link on setting up the .mt2 package.

http://www.bearpig.co.uk/blog/2010/11/ts-mts-m2t-exporting-in-adobe-media-encoder/

Theoretically, this technique might even work with Apple's $50 Compressor app, since it also exports MPEG-2 video files.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
For exemple the magnetic timeline is a huge issue if you are outsourcing to a sound engineer or other third parties.

What about the OP's post makes you think he's doing anything like that? Good advice considers the subject. Giving people advice based on what other people may be doing isn't really helpful. It seems like file conversions are his main concern, not sound engineers.

OP - .mov isn't really a format (it's just a container) so we'd need more info to really give the best advice. What camera model are you using?

Camyuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

I'm using (mostly) a Sony A1E and sometimes a Sony HC7 ie both still use tape and both shoot HD. I always shoot at the highest quality my camera will shoot and highest the pc will record.

(I do supply material to 3 other publishers on and off and in those cases I edit as I think fit and output to tape to send them).

However, this particular publisher wants and currently gets .m2t files from me and all other cameramen (not .m2ts just .m2t)

I don't really know (or care that much) what their internal process is as everything currently is a very smooth procedure using my video camera, my pc, and pc files!

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
It's kind of a iMovie 'Plus'. It doesn't respect the way professionals are working in. For exemple the magnetic timeline is a huge issue if you are outsourcing to a sound engineer or other third parties. Movies are made with many tracks since ages and this is the way everyone works. More and more professionals are moving to PP since FCPX has been released. At least they corrected their first attempt by adding the multi-camera feature and XML export. So I would say FCPX is OK for a one-man team but not for a team production workflow... I will stick with FCP7 for now but I know my next step will be Premiere Pro 6 (which is also named FCP8...).

Regarding the Mac Pro there are many threads running on this forum on this. Yes they have been waiting for the new Xeon cpus... since 2 years nothing has changed and pros can't just waiting without any clue if Apple will update or not.

Do you know how many years Mac users were stuck on Adobe priemre 4.2 before adobe actually cared? It was when Media100 and Avid were kings.

Well no one else has the intel E5 chips in a workstation so blame Intel not Apple. I'm so impressed with your pro knowledge / sarcasism

I understand that FCPX isn't ready to a multistation environment yet, but the underlying software code is years beyond Avid and Premiere. In a single workstation, FCPX background rendering is pretty damn good.

sinanziric

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2012
This probably explains my other request in this thread more fully. I'm not looking for a discussion on the merits of Mac v pc - I have a specific issue if I change from pc to Mac.

I've been editing video on pc's for well over a decade and used to a multiplicity of file types etc. The pc on which I'm typing this is 'life expired' and I have an opportunity to change to Mac but think I've hit a brick wall with file types which would keep me pc-based.

I'm fortunate enough to sell small quantites of video to a publisher. Since the advent of HD, they want video files supplied to them on a usb stick. They are pc-based as a business and have other contributors so I can't force them to go Mac, I have to fit in with them.

As they assemble footage from a number of sources, editing for me is a doddle, I simply stream the video from my camcorder onto my pc via firewire and it's stored on my pc hard drive as .m2t file type. I copy the file to my usb flash drive and post it to them. I don't need to edit anything.
They don't want edited footage as they will do it when combined into their process.

For MY OWN video jobs it's a different matter and I use various filetypes and am quite amenable to changing to a Mac.

Now here's where the problems arise. It seems to me that a Mac saves streamed data as .mov and getting it out of .mov format is the stumbling block as it's all proprietary code.

There seem to be any number of progs for sale that convert from one filetype to another and plenty of pc-filetypes can be converted TO .mov - converting FROM .mov seems to be whole different issue.

I currently use Sony Vegas on my pc. As I understand iMovie is much too basic for my needs so I'd be looking for something like Final Cut or at least something better than iMovie for my own productions.

However I'm gtting really stuck trying to find anything that will definitely convert .mov to .m2t - clearly spending £1.5k or more on a decent Mac isn't practical unless I'm sure I can get some workable fix.

Does anyone have any experience of this problem?

You can use any software one Apple PC or some other Intel custom made PC.

Your best bet (as far as editors are concerned) Final Cut 7 or X it's up to you.

You don't need to spend 1.5k, convert your PC to Apple PC (Hackintosh).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.