Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:41 AM   #1
hajime
macrumors 68000

Does iPhone 4S has features like the Samsung Galaxy Note?

Hello, can the iPhone 4S do things like:

1. S Memo
2. Instantly Capture and Annotate Any Screen
3. Rich communication of ideas and emotions
4. Shape Match & Formula Match

shown in:

http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...html?type=find
hajime is offline   -38 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:06 PM   #2
aneftp
macrumors 68040

Can you make a phone call with one hand on the galaxy note. Can you use the note and scroll easily with with one hand.

Will Samsung update the Galaxy Note to ice cream sandwich before the Democratic and Republican National conventions?

Don't get me wrong. I like the Note. But there comes a time when a phone is just way too big for the masses.

My galaxy nexus feels too long and I found myself having to use two hands many times. With the Note it's almost a two hand operation.

It will appeal to some people. But it's not going to appeal to the masses because of its size.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:11 PM   #3
mkruck
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Can you make a phone call with one hand on the galaxy note. Can you use the note and scroll easily with with one hand.

Will Samsung update the Galaxy Note to ice cream sandwich before the Democratic and Republican National conventions?
I keep seeing this come up as an issue or potential dealbreaker, and I just don't get it.

I ask with all sincerity (not trying to troll, flamebait or open up a can of worms): What's the obsession with being able to use a phone with one hand?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:12 PM   #4
MacDawg
macrumors P6

^^
Not an obsession, but it is a convenience as far as I'm concerned
MacDawg is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:17 PM   #5
aneftp
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkruck View Post
I keep seeing this come up as an issue or potential dealbreaker, and I just don't get it.

I ask with all sincerity (not trying to troll, flamebait or open up a can of worms): What's the obsession with being able to use a phone with one hand?
I am a busy professional. If you are driving. Phone rings. It's an important call from one of my business partners. I gotta take the call and i hate the Bluetooth built in my car. I hate Bluetooth ear pieces as well

It's hard to pick up phone with one hand while driving. It's a legit complaint. I lived with the gnex for 3 plus months also. And that phone was barely manageable with one hand.

I like the Note. Not trolling. Just gets to the point where a phone is too big for the masses. Note has a niche market.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:32 PM   #6
mkruck
macrumors regular

Quote:
I am a busy professional. If you are driving. Phone rings. It's an important call from one of my business partners. I gotta take the call and i hate the Bluetooth built in my car. I hate Bluetooth ear pieces as well

It's hard to pick up phone with one hand while driving. It's a legit complaint. I lived with the gnex for 3 plus months also. And that phone was barely manageable with one hand.

I like the Note. Not trolling. Just gets to the point where a phone is too big for the masses. Note has a niche market.
Good points. It's just something I'd ever thought about, I have really large hands (think Sasquatch big) so it has never been an issue for me.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:47 PM   #7
d0vr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Well in your use case, a phone that requires you to use two hands to answer a call might just save a life or two eventually. After all, you might just hate not being able to steer enough to PULL OVER!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:27 PM   #8
walie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

So you would rather run over nuns and school children and break the law while you're illegally using your hand to use your iphone while in the car?
walie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:34 PM   #9
DodgeV83
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by walie View Post
So you would rather run over nuns and school children and break the law while you're illegally using your hand to use your iphone while in the car?
You're assuming he/she lives in an area where it's illegal.

You're assuming he/she lives in an area where there are nuns.

You're assuming he/she drives in an area where there are school children.
DodgeV83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:42 PM   #10
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

Quote:
Where do you live? I thought most places had outlawed talking on the phone while driving without some sort of hands free option.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:47 PM   #11
DodgeV83
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
Where do you live? I thought most places had outlawed talking on the phone while driving without some sort of hands free option.
You're assuming he isn't using speaker phone.
DodgeV83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:15 PM   #12
hajime
macrumors 68000

I have a dumb phone and an iPod Touch. I usually carry a 17" MBP with me. I like to take HD photos and videos. When I need to drop down notes, I just write it on a piece of paper. This is a convenience way but sometimes I lose the papers. I want to get a smart phone that I can use in major countries in the world. Not sure if I can use the Galaxy Note as a phone as the 4G is not widely available worldwide.

I found the size of the Galaxy Note a bit too large. However, I like to be able to write down notes and draw simple figures as if the device were a real notebook. So, if iPhone4S can do that, I probably go for it. Are there APPs that do the things I mentioned?

Alternatively, if the Galaxy Note is of size between 3.5 and 4" and it can be used worldwide as a phone, that might be a good option. How is data sharing between the Note and the Mac?

Last edited by hajime; Apr 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
hajime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:37 PM   #13
DodgeV83
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime View Post
However, I like to be able to write down notes and draw simple figures as if the device were a real notebook.
Yes, the iPhone has apps that allow you to do that.

However, I don't think you'll ever use a phone for that on any consistent basis, no matter which one you get. I thought I'd be writing hand notes a lot on my iPad too, so I bought one of those pens...and barely ever used it. It was so much more efficient to just type it, use dictation, or take a picture.

Need a reminder of something a few hours from now? Use Siri.

Need to copy down a drawing the boss made on the whiteboard during your meeting? Take a picture.

Making a grocery list? Use Siri, or open a task app like Clear and type it in.

Can't use Siri because it's a quiet environment? Typing is much faster than handwriting, and with the iPhone you can type with one hand while doing other things.

Do you really need the flexibility of a piece of paper for your detailed notes? Put the notes down on paper, then take a picture

Maybe if you gave a specific workflow you're thinking of, I'll chcange my recommendation, but it seems to me that drawing or taking hand written notes is simply less efficient, and will get old fast.
DodgeV83 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:21 PM   #14
wgonzvega
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I have a dumb phone and an iPod Touch. I usually carry a 17" MBP with me. I like to take HD photos and videos. When I need to drop down notes, I just write it on a piece of paper. This is a convenience way but sometimes I lose the papers. I want to get a smart phone that I can use in major countries in the world. Not sure if I can use the Galaxy Note as a phone as the 4G is not widely available worldwide.

I found the size of the Galaxy Note a bit too large. However, I like to be able to write down notes and draw simple figures as if the device were a real notebook. So, if iPhone4S can do that, I probably go for it. Are there APPs that do the things I mentioned?

Alternatively, if the Galaxy Note is of size between 3.5 and 4" and it can be used worldwide as a phone, that might be a good option. How is data sharing between the Note and the Mac?

I play with the note a few days a go. Hand recognition is great, one of the best, browsing was great too, of course better than the iphone but at the end I felt like it wont be good for a phone because is way to big for a phone and that it was to small for a tablet. I think it has its user base but there was something that doesnt felt right with the device. So i will wait and give Apple a chance and see what the next iphone brings but if you like it go ahead and let us know about it.
wgonzvega is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:44 PM   #15
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:

Don't get me wrong. I like the Note. But there comes a time when a phone is just way too big for the masses.

My galaxy nexus feels too long and I found myself having to use two hands many times. With the Note it's almost a two hand operation.

It will appeal to some people. But it's not going to appeal to the masses because of its size.
Same with the iPhones small size. The Note for me is too big for the record but the iPhone is too small. A 4.3" screen would be ideal but looks like i have to settle for a 4.5". The one i have now is 4".
Vegastouch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:58 PM   #16
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegastouch View Post
Same with the iPhones small size. The Note for me is too big for the record but the iPhone is too small. A 4.3" screen would be ideal but looks like i have to settle for a 4.5". The one i have now is 4".
4.3" phones are probably about as big as it can get for my hands to be able to comfortably use one handed. I can use SGS2 in one hand without stretching.

The iPhone is definitely very comfortable to use, but having used a phone with a screen that's almost an inch bigger, it's just too small.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:17 PM   #17
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:

1. S Memo

shown in:

This sounds like an attempt at advertisement. .
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:06 PM   #18
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
This sounds like an attempt at advertisement. .
I know. The OP has to know the iPhone doesn't have those features (Hello, the iPhone doesn't have an S-pen), yet he feels compelled to post this thread like it's something he's trying to find out.

Last edited by dejo; Apr 18, 2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Trolling.
-aggie- is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:22 PM   #19
hajime
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
I know. The OP has to know the iPhone doesn't have those features (Hello, the iPhone doesn't have an S-pen), yet he feels compelled to post this thread like it's something he's trying to find out.
You mean I can't use a pointed object (stylus) to write or draw something on the iPhone? I think I saw several pen-liked stylus for the iPhone in stores.
Perhaps I misunderstood the purpose of such products?

Last edited by hajime; Apr 18, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
hajime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:01 PM   #20
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:
You mean I can't use a pointed object (stylus) to write or draw something on the iPhone? I think I saw several pen-liked stylus for the iPhone in stores.
Perhaps I misunderstood the purpose of such products?
Yes there are pen stylus for iPhone and iPad but they're not integrated, they cannot be inserted to your iPhone or iPad in any way, you'd have to bring them separately.

One tips though, if you want to ask a real question, use better sentence. Something like "Does S Memo in Samsung Galaxy Note really that good? and does iPhone have something similar?"

OP's sentence in the original post sounds like challenging and mocking iPhone in front of Galaxy Note, suggesting whether it comes from super silly Android fanboy or disguised Samsung marketing team.
iSayuSay is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:28 PM   #21
hajime
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
Yes there are pen stylus for iPhone and iPad but they're not integrated, they cannot be inserted to your iPhone or iPad in any way, you'd have to bring them separately.

One tips though, if you want to ask a real question, use better sentence. Something like "Does S Memo in Samsung Galaxy Note really that good? and does iPhone have something similar?"

OP's sentence in the original post sounds like challenging and mocking iPhone in front of Galaxy Note, suggesting whether it comes from super silly Android fanboy or disguised Samsung marketing team.
Thanks for the advice. I am just an Apple user who is looking for a smartphone that does the things he wants. Sorry for not using a better title.

Looks like only the Galaxy Note sold in Japan supports Japanese language. Need to check with the company. If that is the case, I have to choose the iPhone.
hajime is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:40 PM   #22
Eddie Bombay
macrumors 6502

Quote:

1. S Memo

shown in:

Yes
Eddie Bombay is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:26 PM   #23
cynics
macrumors 604

Two different devices marketed to two different types of people depending on their needs.

I don't know if this is a trolling attempt or just curious or looking to switch. But the main thing the two devices have in common is you can make phone calls on them.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:28 PM   #24
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Why are you asking?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:48 PM   #25
cynics
macrumors 604

It's so funny to watch people get on their high horse and preach about stuff.

Driving and talking on the phone is only as a 2nd offense. You have to be breaking the law already to get cited.

Speeding isn't. Why don't we bitch at the op because he probably speeds too!!

I've sped, littered, made a illegal lane change, drove with a tail light out. Which phone do you guys think is right for me?!?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone