Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
OK, so I have a situation right now where I think something like a Slingbox would be my best option. As I've not looked into the whole place shifting thing, I don't know all of the options that I may have available to me.

Anyways, this is my current set-up in my house.

Verizon FiOS service
multi-room DVR in the family room (big screen tv)
HD STB in the kitchen (20" 4:3 LCD)
Digital adapter in the basement (27" CRT)

Here's what I want to do. I typically walk/run on the treadmill every night. I'd like to be able to watch my DVR recordings while I'm using the treadmill. As Verizon still has not offered an iOS or Win/Mac app that allows for viewing DVR content over a home network, I'm stuck with a few options.

1. Replace the basement digital adapter with a HD STB. This will cost an extra $2/month. The problem is the that the TV isn't in a good spot from the treadmill. I'd rather be able to watch the TV right in front of me and it would be difficult in this set-up. Also, the TV is 4:3 and my Win/Mac laptops are 16:9, which I prefer.

2. Get a Slingbox (or equivalent) and connect it to the DVR in the family room. This would allow me to sling my DVR content to my laptop(s), and even up to the iPad2 in the bedroom if we want to watch Amazing Race upstairs. The placeshifting over the internet isn't really needed, but if I get it, then bouns.

Of these two options, #1 would be cheaper, but not ideal. #2 would work better, but costs more up front. Also, I've read a lot of negative stuff about Slingbox, but maybe an alternative would be the Monsoon Vulkano or the Hauppauge Broadway.

Question - does anyone else have a different option? I've thought about adding a Hauppauge HD-PVR to the mix and putting everything onto my iTunes server, but they're in different rooms and I'd need to get another computer to handle the HD-PVR chores. Besides, it seems like a lot of effort for shows that we watch, then delete.

What other options do I have?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.